RMweb

Hornby Dublo 2023 Flying Scotsman.

Black 5 Bear

8 minutes ago, Delta_Who said:

Like the fact that they are making these variations.... but the specs and the price is highway robbery imo.

Agreed,

I've just purchased the newly tooled BR early crest version from Hobbyshop in Faversham for £160.

A superb model in all respects for the money!

• Like 2

Somewhat ironic for the new RRP that the new HD models still feature an 8 pin DCC set up rather than the new 21 pin arrangement.

Additionally, it doesn't appear to to have glowing firebox feature, which is a nice touch on recent releases.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

17 minutes ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Aware it's just a drawing but the loco-tender coupling looks to be a new design - maybe finally a close-coupling mechanism?

There is a blog on the Hornby site which provides a bit more info on the releases and yes, a new loco-tender coupling is mentioned. Although at present a black square on a line drawing doesn't tell us much about it

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/news/flying-past-100

Edited by SteamingWales
  • Like 1

Well I am pleased that they have announced one as it will be on its 100th birthday.

I have ordered it, will decide later if I can stomach the price (even with the 10% discount from being a club member) as it is a lot of money but I have wanted a model of FS in its current form for a while.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

'ow much😮😜

I dont usually comment on prices (as it's basically pointless) but this is an audacious mark up given the price of the new and entirely newly tooled diecast 9F.

Aimed squarely at the collector rather than the modeller

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I dont usually comment on prices (as it's basically pointless) but this is an audacious mark up given the price of the and entirely newly tooled diecast 9F.

Aimed squarely at the collector rather than the modeller

I think that's the point. I won't be buying one at that price, but I wouldn't be buying one at any price, because collecting isn't an aspect of model railways that particularly interests me. I can't get outraged about the price of a model I would never have bought, any more than I could get outraged at the price of the latest games console. What the Centenary range and the Jubilee version of Taw Valley showed was that the collector market has deep pockets, and it doesn't surprise me that Hornby are making the most of it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A brand that they clearly do still have the licensing rights for, then, and they're going to wring it dry by the looks of it... 😉

How many Flying Scotsmen can the market absorb? Hasn't everyone got several already?

Clearly that's not the point. The point is to have the latest/best one to sit on your shelf, looking pretty. And we know it's the best because it the most expensive version ever.

Maybe Hornby could start selling "Non-Fungible Tokens" instead so you can feel like you own the latest version without the hassle of having to shuffle your shelves full of previous Flying Scotsmen to make room for the new one. (Environmentally friendly and space conscious in these constricted times!)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Perhaps Hornby have looked at the auction prices of previous models in the Hornby Dublo range. Recently a mint unused 'Sir Nigel Gresley' sold for £345 at a Hornby Railway Collector's Association auction so a 'Flying Scotsman' at £360 may be a good investment. There is no point in having firebox glow or a motor if you are never going to use it.

I like to run my models. I bought my Hornby 'Flying Scotsman' in 1994 for around £50. After 28 years it owes me nothing even though I would probably only get around £20 for it if I sold it to a shop like Hattons. For me the advantages of a Hornby Railways model over a modern Hornby model are that the pony truck pivots and you can get the model repaired if it is over 10 years old as I have done recently.

P1040694.JPG

• Like 3

Odd choice to model the loco as 103, but not 4472's arguably most iconic guise, in 1928 non-stop London-Edinburgh A1 with corridor tender form. 

Any indication of how many of each 'limited edition' Hornby is to produce? Or are they keeping their options open to add another thousand or so to the production run, as per the Elizabeth II Jubilee West Country?

Edited by OliverBytham
to add something
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’ve preordered the US Tour version. Says it comes with the 2 tender but there’s no difference in price so we shall see. 

Thanks for pointing that out, I had not read the full text description (although had ordered the same version anyway)