RMweb

Hornby Dublo 2023 Flying Scotsman.

Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I had not read the full text description (although had ordered the same version anyway)

It always annoyed me that the first US version didn’t have the headlamp, and then the only one that did have the headlamp was the gold plated version. I wanna run my models, with the exception of the Elizabeth II West Country model, but not at the expense of wearing off the gold plating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

Perhaps Hornby have looked at the auction prices of previous models in the Hornby Dublo range. Recently a mint unused 'Sir Nigel Gresley' sold for £345 at a Hornby Railway Collector's Association auction so a 'Flying Scotsman' at £360 may be a good investment. There is no point in having firebox glow or a motor if you are never going to use it.

I like to run my models. I bought my Hornby 'Flying Scotsman' in 1994 for around £50. After 28 years it owes me nothing even though I would probably only get around £20 for it if I sold it to a shop like Hattons. For me the advantages of a Hornby Railways model over a modern Hornby model are that the pony truck pivots and you can get the model repaired if it is over 10 years old as I have done recently.

P1040694.JPG

Ah yes, I have that one somewhere. They released it for the 70th anniversary IIRC, which means... oh no... that was thirty years ago...

• Like 2

Please don't forget Hornby will be paying  the NRM a substantial licence fee, just as preserved railways and mainline  charter operators using the Locomotive do. After all someone  has to pay for the botched overhaul  that wasted around £2 million of public funds before  they asked Rileys to sort their mess out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HonestTom said:

Ah yes, I have that one somewhere. They released it for the 70th anniversary IIRC, which means... oh no... that was thirty years ago...

I think that model was R2688 which made in 2008 and was just an ordinary A4 in a Hornby Dublo box: not one with a diecast body.

53 minutes ago, Trevor Hammond said:

Please don't forget Hornby will be paying  the NRM a substantial licence fee, just as preserved railways and mainline  charter operators using the Locomotive do. After all someone  has to pay for the botched overhaul  that wasted around £2 million of public funds before  they asked Rileys to sort their mess out.

On the TT 120 thread admin said that the licence fee amounted to £30 per loco. I presume this would be higher for a limited run but it is less than 10% of the price of the locomotive. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

We have just received our total allocation of the newly announce FS range. If anybody is looking to pre-order a four wheel coach please get in touch! Only one available.

On recent Hornby form, it's a wonder they haven't made these website only purchases.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Black 5 Bear said:

On recent Hornby form, it's a wonder they haven't made these website only purchases.

Agreed, l wonder if anybody at Hornby really thinks allocating a shop a coach and nothing else is helpful? I await a response to my email. Expect to hear that there has been a dreadful mistake and that we should not have been allocated the coach. It will not put our business in jeopardy and l will not be in the least bit disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

5 hours ago, Delta_Who said:

Like the fact that they are making these variations.... but the specs and the price is highway robbery imo.

I agree but it is less than 1/2 the price of ten Bachmann Bulleid coaches.  Model railways are getting very expensive. It reminds me of when an assistant at the 'Engine Shed' said he could not afford to buy a Wrenn locomotive and then came back to the till with some coaches and accessories that cost far more than the locomotive. I am not going to pay over £300 for a 'Flying Scotsman' when I have got a serviceable model for £50.

5 hours ago, Delta_Who said:

Like the fact that they are making these variations.... but the specs and the price is highway robbery imo.

I

• RMweb Gold

Well, I won't be buying one. The biggest OO model I have is the Hornby K1 and I might be getting rid of that. I don't in any case have any particular love for Flying Scotsman anyway; the only thing it has as a verified record seems to be the number of its owners who've gone bankrupt. I did have the Triang-Hornby model BITD, but I've never had a model A3 since. The only A3 I'd buy would be a model of Papyrus, the first A3 (built as an A3, not modified from original A1), because my Grandad painted it back in the 1930s for an exhibition being held at Gateshead station—my (and his) home town. He was a chagehand carriage and wagon painter at Walkergate works, and lucky enough to (just) keep his job during the 1930s when many didn't — there were a couple of occasions when, if one more person had been made redundant, it would've been him…

I believe Dapol did a model of Papyrus once, but either I missed out on it, or it wasn't the right livery—would have had to be LNER for me.

Now, if Edward Thompson had rebuilt Flying Scotsman instead of Great Northern

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Well I am pleased that they have announced one as it will be on its 100th birthday.

I have ordered it, will decide later if I can stomach the price (even with the 10% discount from being a club member) as it is a lot of money but I have wanted a model of FS in its current form for a while.

I have pre ordered the current version as well. Will wait and see if one appears in the main range next year and switch to that if it does. It is definitely way overpriced, but at least there’s a little while to decide before actually committing. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Wow!!!! £360 for the Dublo locos 👀

I wonder if there will be any new releases of the normal tooling? I guess we will have to wait for the 2023 range release?

£1 a day for a model…. With time off for Christmas.

if you buy 4 of each 5 models… it would cost you near enough the same amount as the real thing in 1923.

Edited by adb968008
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

I wonder if there will be any new releases of the normal tooling? I guess we will have to wait for the 2023 range release?

Hopefully they do. I've been wanting a BR-era (double chimney) A3 which isn't Flying Scotsman for a while. The last time they released a BR non-FS A3... that's many years ago

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately I am quite basic and have a thing for the flying Scotsman. However Hornby still won't produce an A1 LNER 4472 version with corridor tender - as it ran on the non stop route! The only version like this is railroad. 

If they had made this version I would have even considered spending £360, because special anniversary etc (and I graduate next summer, it would be a nice comemerative present)...

But not for a version I don't want, and would have to renumber. In 2019 I bought a used NRM Scotsman for £60, I've taken the smoke deflectors off, and even though it's an A3 4472 (which never ran "originally") and has the electrical warning signals...it's good enough for me 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I believe Dapol did a model of Papyrus once, but either I missed out on it, or it wasn't the right livery—would have had to be LNER for me.

The did, I have it. Its pretty decent if a little loud from the tender motor/cardan shaft arrangement.

I ended up putting together a sort-of 1928 version, pairing the Legends loco with an ebay corridor tender. The Legends is the old RR tooling with extra detail.

Edited by Coldgunner

Just a thought but I can't seem to find any statement that the Flying Scotsman Centenary releases  are limited editions - haven't all the previous,   diecast bodied,  Hornby Dublo releases been limited in some way? (not including anything released prior to 2020)

35 minutes ago, ndeluck said:

$400+ USD for a loco with a thousand toolings... are the Dublo models worth that?

HD locos are usually strictly  limited to a 500 model run.

I would have thought that the Flying Scotsman Centenary Year models won't be any different in the numbers produced and offered for sale.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

HD locos are usually strictly  limited to a 500 model run.

I would have thought that the Flying Scotsman Centenary Year models won't be any different in the numbers produced and offered for sale.

Theres nothing limited edition about 4472… it and Mallard are probably the most sold models there has ever been.

if you look backwards… there are no valuable models of 4472… they all scrape the ebay barrel… theres umpteen “limited”, “special”, “must have”, “highly collectable” editions of this loco.

4472 is Strictly for fun, not for investment.

Selling tickets to stand next to the loco…I now have heard it all.

They will be selling bottled steam from it next…

Would one like a drop of Scotsmans eau d’raincock sir ? Its  filtered through a subtype of charcoal you know.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I assume it’s only available from Hornby direct, so there won’t be any dealer discounts.  I have the last version of 60103 in it’s 1963 condition and TTS, and that was just shy of over £200, so given recent price increases worldwide and what other model railway manufacturer’s are charging, don’t think £360 is not too bad.

Would I buy one? No, I have a perfectly good one that I can run and it suits my needs.

Edited by jools1959
Typo

23 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Theres nothing limited edition about 4472… it and Mallard are probably the most sold models there has ever been.

Aye, I aren't buying it (if I do) with the hope of it being worth loads of money in 5 years.

I'd like a model of the loco as it is now, and as far as I am aware it's either non existent or rare.

I just need to decide if it's worth the asking price and cancel in the next 4 or so months if it isn't.

Now a Dublo 4498 as it is, or as it will be, is something I'd definitely pay £300+ for.

I have zero interest (from a modelling perspective) in steam locomotives that don't move anymore beyond ceremonial stuff and so a model of Mallard would be a moot point for me. Love the thing in real life but I couldn't put a model of it on the layout as I aren't modelling the railway museum.

• Like 1