EFE LSWR Cross-country coach sets

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

These are now out. Picked up my first set from Paul at Alton Model Centre this morning First impressions good, carriages very nicely presented in a stout well padded box with a magnetic catch for the lid. Seem to measure up well with the drawing in Weddell’s LSWR Carriages in the 20th Century. Very pleased with these additions.  Thank you Kernow!

all the best

Godfrey441F727F-37A2-499F-B3B5-82724C1A78A8.jpeg.2da2314cb72b65e62b381c9da96857fb.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry can’t help with the Southern Railway version. I collected the BR(S) version from Paul this morning which has Composite S5043 in the set. It matches the photo in Weddell on page 34  of S 5048 which shows that the first class compartments are identified with a 1, but the third class ones do not have any marking on their doors. 
best wishes

Godfrey

EBB6F0EC-FFA9-47E7-8723-5C7401999785.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

Sorry can’t help with the Southern Railway version. I collected the BR(S) version from Paul this morning which has Composite S5043 in the set. It matches the photo in Weddell on page 34  of S 5048 which shows that the first class compartments are identified with a 1, but the third class ones do not have any marking on their doors. 
best wishes

Godfrey

EBB6F0EC-FFA9-47E7-8723-5C7401999785.jpeg

I must have passed you in the shop!  I came away with the malachite version and, yes, it is missing the class markings on the brake vehicles.  Just a matter of a few transfers, though.  The body finish is a bit matt, so I think it is due for a touch up and revarnish anyway.

Keith

Alton.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I gave in to the sirens of temptation and earlier this week ordered a BR green set 'lightly weathered' from TMC. They are absolutely not needed  on a western region layout but they look really nice models and something to appreciate for what they are. It looks like Plymouth Railway Circle are going to be running a few railtours into Cornwall...

Very much looking forward to them.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As you would expect,they are smooth runners. My SR malachite set is currently paired with olive green OOWorks Adams Jubilee.Probably the wrong livery combination I imagine but it does “look good “. The packaging impresses enormously. Yes I know it’s expensive but a treat nonetheless. Wonder when they received the malachite paint job ?

• Like 2

I've just ordered a malachite H1 for Brighton - Portsmouth running with the malachite set I have on order, there's evidence of them pre war with an H2 at least so I'm going with the assumption that it was still an operational pairing just after the war, if not who cares! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I've just ordered a malachite H1 for Brighton - Portsmouth running with the malachite set I have on order, there's evidence of them pre war with an H2 at least so I'm going with the assumption that it was still an operational pairing just after the war, if not who cares! 

I had wondered about the typical motive power for these, and assumed/hoped the malachite H1 could be an appropriate option. I was flicking through my various SR books over the weekend, and the coaches seem to have been quite camera shy! Would an M7 or a T9 also be suitable?

On 13/01/2023 at 17:05, 45655 said:

I came away with the malachite version and, yes, it is missing the class markings on the brake vehicles.  Just a matter of a few transfers, though.

I also wonder if anyone can recommend a good source for these transfers? 

Thanks!

Matt

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

M7, O2 or T9 would be the most appropriate RTR locos to haul them.

Maybe a Bachmann N class 2-6-0 as well. 

Actually,almost any thing ….Hornby N15 & S15,even LN ,WC/BB and MN ( the latter on Salisbury - Yeovil Jct - Exeter stopper turns which ensured  they were returned to 72A ). A Q1 is another seen on passenger turns. Have fun !

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Actually,almost any thing ….Hornby N15 & S15,even LN ,WC/BB and MN ( the latter on Salisbury - Yeovil Jct - Exeter stopper turns which ensured  they were returned to 72A ). A Q1 is another seen on passenger turns. Have fun !

No rebuilt Bulleids though, these coaches had all gone by the time they came into being.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Anything Western Division, that is ................ unlikely to have been seen with C, D, D1, E4, or H classes - of those available from the trade. ( nor AiX, E1, P or USA )

I assumed that this is known as they were ex- LSWR  and thus passed to the Southern,thence to BR ( S )  Western section. .

I must remind myself that clarity is all in future.🤭

• RMweb Gold
On 05/11/2022 at 13:55, RFS said:

Looks like a pair of sets in this photo with a couple of Maunsells in between. Portsmouth to Brighton in 1938.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p685609678/e1fca8d3f

These sets are described as "cross-country" and hence would often turn up at other Southern locations on services from the Western section, as I posted earlier. 

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I assumed that this is known as they were ex- LSWR  and thus passed to the Southern, thence to BR ( S )  Western section. .

I must remind myself that clarity is all in future.🤭

The crucial thing - which many won't know - is that these sets were too wide over duckets to be included in the 'Rover' pool of former SECR and LBSCR three-coach sets which operated at random in those areas ................ though why it was worth removing the duckets from the Brighton brakes and not the South Western ones, too, escapes me - unless the over-generous van provision just made then too different !!?!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

@Graham_Muz have you got your hands on a set yet? Awaiting to see your review on these carriages :)

Hi, I may do a picture based feature but it would be inappropriate for me to do a full review...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2023 at 20:02, Wickham Green too said:

The crucial thing - which many won't know - is that these sets were too wide over duckets to be included in the 'Rover' pool of former SECR and LBSCR three-coach sets which operated at random in those areas ................ though why it was worth removing the duckets from the Brighton brakes and not the South Western ones, too, escapes me - unless the over-generous van provision just made then too different !!?!

LSWR "half-van" brakes were only built to fulfil specific traffic needs, and 3-sets that included two of them were rarely suited to other duties. That continued to be so with Maunsell stock similarly provided.

So long as there were enough of the Brighton brakes for the intended purpose, their greater seating capacity would have decided the matter, leaving no need to adopt less suitable alternatives.

Before they were even "middle-aged", the ex-LSWR "Cross-Country" sets were steadily displaced by corridor stock of similar vintage on to more localised work within their "home patch", so being route-restricted won't have caused operational inconvenience.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1