RMweb

Has there been another meltdown?

15 hours ago, John Besley said:

I Wouldn't buy from Digitrains on principle now as there adverts have made my life a misery 

I agree that the Digitrains advert on a phone or tablet is extremely annoying,  it's more to do with Warners that Digitrains but I agree  I now have an aversion to Digitrains which has made me more unlikely to buy from them. I would not mind one pop-up a thread but it's on everytime  that you scroll over the trigger. Yesterday I was quickly scrolling up and down a page and ended up with three banners open at the same time. It's not so bad on a Windows PC as the ad is in a side panel most of the time.

15 hours ago, Dagworth said:

For a pound a month you can go advert free. Is the site really of so little value to you?

Two questions here; a) the blurb only says you will be free of google ad's it does not say free of Digitrains ad's. b) once RMeb is mainly funded through payments, there is an incentive for Warners to up the price to a level that will maximise revenue.

Although the Forum format is very useful in keeping track of threads etc, it is old technology and mainstream Social  Media seems to be taking over.  I was a member of a number of Aol / Yahoo groups in the past and all these have migrated to Facebook. I am not a fan of Facebook but are finding that those groups I am a member of tend to give me the news and hints that I require. Pages and pages about Hornby TT:120 are not to my liking, all I want is are announcements and reviews, plus some layout builds.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Pages and pages about Hornby TT:120 are not to my liking, all I want is are announcements and reviews, plus some layout builds.

Most topics can be ignored, i.e. they will not appear in your view new content listings. (I'm currently ignoring about 1000 topics, which makes VNC not too bad.)

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Most topics can be ignored, i.e. they will not appear in your view new content listings. (I'm currently ignoring about 1000 topics, which makes VNC not too bad.)

Indeed, if a thread winds me up I simply ignore it and the problem goes away.

You can also ignore people, however, it only works on posts and comments they have made, so if they are spamming the site with pictures then you still get them in the VNC feed which was the reason I was ignoring them in the first place.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

You can also ignore people, however, it only works on posts and comments they have made, so if they are spamming the site with pictures then you still get them in the VNC feed which was the reason I was ignoring them in the first place.

I found that problem too

Edited by Dagworth
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

Two questions here; a) the blurb only says you will be free of google ad's it does not say free of Digitrains ad's. b) once RMeb is mainly funded through payments, there is an incentive for Warners to up the price to a level that will maximise revenue.

You seem to be making your own mind up (and the list does not ask a question but says what you think) but...

a) You won't get Google Ads or Pop-up videos (apart from some sponsored subforums which are awaiting a fix but I've said that countless times anyway).

b) I must have missed that management meeting as I went to the one which said the renewal cost would remain the same for the rate anyone signs up at - including the special £4.99 World of Railways plus/RMweb Gold offer we are running at the moment.

1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

Although the Forum format is very useful in keeping track of threads etc, it is old technology and mainstream Social  Media seems to be taking over. 

We are doing quite well thank you and having had reason to help a customer on Facebook who was having access issues and encountered some monumental pillocks who seem to have their own difficulties with their own relationships with truth and fact in the same way as your comments above. Frankly the two environments are completely different and, let's just, say different in quality of comment.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Unfortunately even Gold doesn't stop pop ups and non modelling related advertising.

I thought your Gold had lapsed? At least you'd said on here you weren't renewing.

Anyway, I've restored it now pending further checks when I'm back on the system.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I thought your Gold had lapsed? At least you'd said on here you weren't renewing.

Anyway, I've restored it now pending further checks when I'm back on the system.

I asked the bank to cancel the DD, they made an error and didn't and the payment was taken for this year. I was re-imbursed by Barclays along with £250. 

It renewed some time ago but the pop ups have only been recently.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, finelines said:

Has the forum been taken over by Digitrains? I

55 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

The Digitrains adverts are ridiculously intrusive

You should only see that if you're in BRM, Accurascale, Revolution etc subforums. If you are seeing it everywhere let me know.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

When I enter the site I go to the new entries index and a rectangular box from Digitrains appears in the bottom right hand corner and it has a button on it which when pressed it goes away instantly. Once I have chosen the forum I want to read it comes back, as it is now (showing a 44xx running up and down). This time there is no go away button so it won’t go away. Using an iPad by the way. 

Roger

ps it’s now a Peco England!

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, finelines said:

When I enter the site I go to the new entries index and a rectangular box from Digitrains appears in the bottom right hand corner and it has a button on it which when pressed it goes away instantly. Once I have chosen the forum I want to read it comes back, as it is now (showing a 44xx running up and down). This time there is no go away button so it won’t go away. Using an iPad by the way. 

Roger

ps it’s now a Peco England!

You hadn't completed the last stage Roger, selecting the RMweb Premium theme. I've done that for you now so you should see an improvement now.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

Not good enough, I'm burning down their stand at 8am tomorrow 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That Jeremy has a lot to answer for 🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

If you believe some folk's perceptions of how things work he'd be wearing a sandwich board and standing in between the showvgoers and a layout or demonstrator. ;)

• Funny 3