NER 20t Hoppers, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, nigel newling said:

.... and still no post '36 LNER liveries! So I will have to wait for the batch 3 release I suppose. :-)

Nigel, as far as I can ascertain, much of the ex-NER wooden bodied wagon fleet remained in pre-1936 lettering through to 1948 - so much so that I did not uncover any usable photographic references of post-1936 lettering being used. Now that's not to say it didn't, I just haven't seen any references. So if you have photographs, then please share them and I'll make sure there's a pack or two especially for you in the second run!

All the best,

Paul.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Nigel, as far as I can ascertain, much of the ex-NER wooden bodied wagon fleet remained in pre-1936 lettering through to 1948 - so much so that I did not uncover any usable photographic references of post-1936 lettering being used. Now that's not to say it didn't, I just haven't seen any references. So if you have photographs, then please share them and I'll make sure there's a pack or two especially for you in the second run!

All the best,

Paul.

I can't imagine wooden coal wagons got much attention from the paint shop after war was declared in 1939, and their livery wouldn't be high priority immediately after VJ Day.  It would probably be a case of patch 'em up as best you can and get them back into traffic asap.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It would probably be a case of patch 'em up as best you can and get them back into traffic asap.

Certainly seems to be the way Michael, and even into the BR transition period as well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think Paul and Micheal have hit the nail on the head as it were.  Nigel’s comment re: lack of post 1936 livery prompted me to pull out my specific wagon books and I have to say I did not find any photographs of wagons in the post 1936  period.  Hard to find many photo’s at all.   I will have to get out my magnifying glass and study train formations.

To date I have preordered 10 of the 16 packs.  I have yet to order any that went into private ownership. 

Well done Accurascale.

A note for Paul. On a totally selfish note,  whilst talking about hopper wagons, in the future I would love to see you produce the LNER Diag 72, 137 & 193 wooden coal hopper variants.

One can but dream.

Edited by D5158
Added wish listing text.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, D5158 said:

I would love to see you produce the LNER Diag 72, 137 & 193 wooden coal hopper variants.

Something to add to the [already] long list!

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Great to see LNER examples! Question @Islesy, what do the 'XXX' mean on the ACC2823 set please? Whilst my focus is on the LNER built examples in the other two sets, the 'XXX' on the others is something I've not seen before.

I'll be honest @Garethp8873it's not something I'd seen previously either, or read about even, and while I'd love to impress you with some intense insight, on this occasion I'm in the dark as well. In an enlargement of a not brilliant photograph, this is what we're looking at. Looking at it closely, it may even be light catching the bolt heads there, with pixellation creating the 'arms', in which case I will amend the artwork.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 19.20.02.png

Edited by Islesy
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 months later...

A query for Accurascale on the livery drawings specifically for ACC2818 55985, 52528 and L86 which are in 1911 to 1922 livery.

A snippet from North Eastern Record Volume 2 (page 118):

"The solebars and pillars on some of these wagons were painted in a lighter shade of grey than the body"

Looking at archive photos of these three wagons in the NERA digital archive, they all appear to have the light shade of grey solebars, but the livery drawings on the Accurascale web site appears to show one shade of grey used all over.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, thetalkinlens said:

A query for Accurascale on the livery drawings specifically for ACC2818 55985, 52528 and L86 which are in 1911 to 1922 livery.

A snippet from North Eastern Record Volume 2 (page 118):

"The solebars and pillars on some of these wagons were painted in a lighter shade of grey than the body"

Looking at archive photos of these three wagons in the NERA digital archive, they all appear to have the light shade of grey solebars, but the livery drawings on the Accurascale web site appears to show one shade of grey used all over.

Correct the current website imagery has a layer error which isn't presenting the sole bar - decorated samples are expected shortly and we can share :) 

JFMC0483.jpg

Edited by McC
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

24 minutes ago, McC said:

Correct the current website imagery has a layer error which isn't presenting the sole bar - decorated samples are expected shortly and we can share :) 

JFMC0483.jpg

Perfect, thanks! Looking forward to seeing the decorated samples!!

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me where the "Accurascale ACC2826 20 ton Diag P7 Coal Hopper wagons in NCB red " wagons were employed or to be seen.

I have ordered the black ones, covering South Yorks,but I am wondering whether to add these three to my collection-

16 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

Can anyone tell me where the "Accurascale ACC2826 20 ton Diag P7 Coal Hopper wagons in NCB red " wagons were employed or to be seen.

I have ordered the black ones, covering South Yorks,but I am wondering whether to add these three to my collection-

I believe red was used in the North East Coalfield, in particular, Ashington, but at other pits in the North East.

• 1 month later...

Livery /numbering error ? 

Pack ACC2829 the first two images on the website show two of the three wagons in BR "patched-up" livery having the same running number, E81658.  The middle of the three images also shows the NER cast iron plate for 75954, that number also shown painted over on the bottom plank.

Is that just a mistake in the artwork, or has the factory inadvertently been asked to make two wagons with the same BR running number ?  Or perhaps it's just showing both sides of one of the wagons?  As the opposite sides of a repaired wagon should not look the same, perhaps it would be better if the website shows both sides of wagons painted post-repair.

Of course it's also just possible that two wagons on the prototype erroneously carried the same number, just as it was not entirely unknown for a wagon to have different numbers on each side* or for the painted number to differ from the cast iron plate.

The bottom of the three images (wagon 42554) shows the NER cast iron plate crooked - I assume that is prototypically correct for this particular wagon (or at least on one side of it).

* a dodge I use on some of my kit-built stock to give the impression that my fleet is larger than it really is!

Edited by Michael Hodgson

In addition to the above I think BR had "lost" about half a million wagons over the year when they were doing their audits... misnumbering on both sides could account for up to 3 wagons! I know The RCH had a large number of missing wagons that may or may not turn up between accounting audits! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DougN said:

In addition to the above I think BR had "lost" about half a million wagons over the year when they were doing their audits... misnumbering on both sides could account for up to 3 wagons! I know The RCH had a large number of missing wagons that may or may not turn up between accounting audits! 

Half a million must be gross exaggeration given that the fleet at nationalisation was a bit under 1.3 million - 40% of wagons not traced really sounds most unlikely.

Is there any proper estimate of the quantity of wagons misnumbered or is it all tales that have grown in the telling? 

Likewise, what is that "large number" the RCH couldn't trace? 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2023 at 15:46, McC said:

We are now 5 months on - are we likely to see decorated samples of the NER 20t hoppers at Warley this weekend, please?  and also online for those of us who don’t get to Warley?

John S

• 1 month later...

I easgerly anticipate these. On pre-order with a retailer, they continued to be shown as due January 2024, however, Accurascale's website states they are at the decoration stage currently and due for release in Q2 this year. On that basis I imagine we will see decorated samples break cover sooner rather than later. But que sera and all that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi @Edwardian,

We are due an update on these but are delighted to confirm that decoration samples are currently being assembled before shipping to us early next week. Once they’re here we will provide a full update on them then, but they look a bit special!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2024 at 06:04, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Edwardian,

We are due an update on these but are delighted to confirm that decoration samples are currently being assembled before shipping to us early next week. Once they’re here we will provide a full update on them then, but they look a bit special!

Cheers!

Fran

Looks like the Hoppers have got lost enroute?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bishdurham said:

Looks like the Hoppers have got lost enroute?

Probably avoiding the Houthi attacks in the Gulf of Aden.  I think it's two weeks longer going round the Cape of Good Hope, so presumably nearer to six weeks rather than four.

• Like 1

Don't think these will go by ship, they are samples one of each, so rather one big box, and no container.

And it will hold up the production process for weeks, think these will go by plane if ready.

As they say time is money

• Agree 2