NER 20t Hoppers, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Don’t forget paints, glue and time to assemble of course. While some enjoy building kits (and I do enjoy a nice parkside kit of occasion myself) RTR models tend to outsell kits as most value time and convenience of having them finished to the highest standards of assembly, detail and finish that RTR gives you. This finish and assembly costs time and money naturally, but the hobby offers solutions and options for us all which makes it so great.

I was simply seeking to observe that there is room for both the RTR model and the kit. You know how many you are making; I doubt Slaters have a very good idea of how many kits they have produced on and off over 40-odd years - and how many have been built is an imponderable. So I'm not sure that there is the data support your claim, at least for a plastic wagon kit vs. RTR model of the same vehicle. My second point was that the way the RTR market now works, your models are unlikely to remain catalogue items for the next twenty or more years, unlike a good many plastic wagon kits.

I write from the point of view of someone who derives great pleasure from building wagon kits but whose skill level is not yet up to building working locomotives, so I would jump at a RTR model of a suitable locomotive (in pre-Great War NER condition).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For what it’s worth we’ve already done three runs of our first wagon (the humble HUO) and our stated philosophy is to maintain availability of all of our ranges over the long term. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, McC said:

For what it’s worth we’ve already done three runs of our first wagon (the humble HUO) and our stated philosophy is to maintain availability of all of our ranges over the long term. 

Then I withdraw that part of my remark; your philosophy is evidently different to that of some other manufacturers. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Do any photos of the ones ICI had exist as the only one I have seen is a view of the grid at Haverton Hill!.

The one outside on the coal depots at Goathland has an ICI buffer, not sure if it had been owned by ICI one or it was an available buffer on restoration.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

That shows how tough they were, despite having a 13 tonner landing on top of it. It looks like that poor little P17 has taken the brunt of the rough shunt though. 

…those little P17s were robust little hoppers and lasted a lot longer than you’d think…

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Accurascale are to be commended for this announcement. Very useful wagons and, again, include something for the growing number of pre-Groupers. I have the chaldrons, which are absolutely delightful, and will be pleased to have some of these large capacity hoppers in due course.

Happy days for the NER modeller in 4mil. First we had the Heljan/Rails petrol-electric railcar, then the Accurascale chaldrons arrived. Slaters had already re-released its P7 hopper and birdcage brake van kits, and, of course, TMC has had a Bachmann-manufactured Class O announced for some time. Now, we have the Rapido H Class announced, including a first RTR outing for T W Worsdell's livery. It is good to see product for this most under-represented company in a hitherto poorly represented period gaining ground in the market.

Well done and thank you to Accurascale I would think..

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, peterfgf said:

Hornby's NER T2 (Q6) and Oxford Rail's NER P3 (J27) as well?  I think these ought to go very well with the 20t hoppers.

Indeed, though I had not counted announcements or releases that do not cater for the NER modeller. I realise I mentioned the Slaters kits, but plastic wagon kits have to be a pretty accessible option even for hobbyists who rely on RTR in the main, and, I suggest, are simpler than back-dating, painting and lining a RTR locomotive not produced in a pre-Grouping version.

The Bachmann Class E1 might be added, though so far the only one in ostensibly NER guise is in a fake livery, so for my money it has yet to represent a NER RTR release. One in NER lined black would be nice, so fingers crossed, even if a 1914 batch E1is still a bit limiting.

What I should have mentioned is the Locomotion exclusive version of the Heljan electric No.1. Best representation of a NER green I've yet seen on a RTR sample or release. I still think Bachmann's green a tad too DayGlo.  

Not complaining, if you want something unavailable RTR, it's understood that you choose again or try to find the time and develop the skills to find your own solution. But it is encouraging when manufacturers pick up the NER as a subject. As a railway modeller, you find it has everything one could wish for in a subject. 

But anyway, the Accurascale announcement in itself is welcome, but it is invaluable as part of a wider pool of models representing the NER and, of course, later periods set in the region. As you rightly point out, there is plenty of muscular motive power in the form of ex-NER mineral classes available to pull them.

Thanks again Accurascale for deciding to make these. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, peterfgf said:

Hornby's NER T2 (Q6) and Oxford Rail's NER P3 (J27) as well?  I think these ought to go very well with the 20t hoppers.

The Hornby Q6 is not an NER T2.  It represents the LNER modified version with a quite different boiler.  Some modellers have backdated the model to NER times but the work is rather more than trivial.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

The Hornby Q6 is not an NER T2.  It represents the LNER modified version with a quite different boiler.  Some modellers have backdated the model to NER times but the work is rather more than trivial.

Thanks, I didn't know that.  I don't have all the RCTS volumes and haven't yet registered with them them access their on-line version.  I took the information from the online LNER Encylopedia https://www.lner.info/locos/Q/q6.php.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's OK Peter.  That is how we all learn.

If you compare the top NER picture with the later ones, some of the obvious differences.

5 boiler bands compared with the later 4

Dome placed further forward on the boiler in the NER version

Dome top more rounded on the NER version.

Standard LNER snifter valve (behind the chimney) not present of the NER boiler where the snifter valves are on the side of the smokebox.

Different arrangement to cover the feed to the cylinders 

and so on.

• Thanks 1

On 19/11/2022 at 13:18, Mark Saunders said:

Do any photos of the ones ICI had exist as the only one I have seen is a view of the grid at Haverton Hill!.

Apologies for the late reply. Just seen your query. There's a few  can be seen on the Tippler lines in the Transport age article.  There was six (at least) that went to the NYMR. I saw them at Pickering/New Bridge so it would have probably been about the mid 1970's. Photo's of them appeared in "Moors Line". The ICI house magazine had photos of them in the background in photographs that accompanied the trials of the first Janus.

10 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Apologies for the late reply. Just seen your query. There's a few  can be seen on the Tippler lines in the Transport age article.  There was six (at least) that went to the NYMR. I saw them at Pickering/New Bridge so it would have probably been about the mid 1970's. Photo's of them appeared in "Moors Line". The ICI house magazine had photos of them in the background in photographs that accompanied the trials of the first Janus.

Thanks another picture publication to look for!

On 17/11/2022 at 15:30, Dunsignalling said:

I've recently been scanning a box of old slides taken by a friend who hailed from Ashington.

Thought this snow scene might be of interest. Photo: the late Norman Armstrong. 

No precise idea of date, unfortunately, but probably late seventies.

John

NCB_089e2r_NCB Cl.14 No.4 [NA].jpg

Just stumbled across this thread, I model continental N but my 12 inches to the foot interests are dominated by NER vehicles and industrial counterparts from the same part of the world.

I’ve seen a few posts like the one above (sorry, not trying to pick on anyone in particular). I have to point out that the waggons in that picture are not former NER waggons. 

Thr National Coal Board in Northumberland acquired a large number of wooden hoppers to this design in the 1950s, I believe chiefly built by Standard Wagon. 

The immediate way to tell them apart is that headstocks extend beyond the solebars, whereas the NER 20T hoppers finish parallel and feature a wrap around plate. There’s also things like the RCH pattern split axleboxes.

The NCB in Northumberland and County Durham discovered that timber waggons often lasted longer in the harsh circumstances involved. Indeed as late as 1978, steel 21T hopper waggons were being rebuilt with wooden bodies. 

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MOB 2002 said:

Just stumbled across this thread, I model continental N but my 12 inches to the foot interests are dominated by NER vehicles and industrial counterparts from the same part of the world.

I’ve seen a few posts like the one above (sorry, not trying to pick on anyone in particular). I have to point out that the waggons in that picture are not former NER waggons. 

Thr National Coal Board in Northumberland acquired a large number of wooden hoppers to this design in the 1950s, I believe chiefly built by Standard Wagon. 

The immediate way to tell them apart is that headstocks extend beyond the solebars, whereas the NER 20T hoppers finish parallel and feature a wrap around plate. There’s also things like the RCH pattern split axleboxes.

The NCB in Northumberland and County Durham discovered that timber waggons often lasted longer in the harsh circumstances involved. Indeed as late as 1978, steel 21T hopper waggons were being rebuilt with wooden bodies. 

Mark

Am I correct in taking that to mean that they were built new for the NCB?

John 

Just now, Dunsignalling said:

Am I correct in taking that to mean that they were built new for the NCB?

John 

That’s correct. 

The NCB in the North East bought huge numbers of waggons during the 1950s. Of course the ex Lambton workshops at Philadelphia was still building their own at that point too.

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have been looking at the packs and realized there are no LNER period packs...other than a Loco coal but personally I want a standard boring every day style pack that could be seen as moving coal around the system. These are the ones I would be going for and maybe a pre-grouping to go with them. Is there any plan to release them? 

Edited by DougN
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, nigel newling said:

It seems very strange that Accurascale have chosen not to include LNER livery variants in their hopper range. I would definitely buy a set of hoppers in post '36 format.

A batch 2 announcement will be forthcoming somewhat shortly :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, McC said:

A batch 2 announcement will be forthcoming somewhat shortly :) 

Of the 8 packs announced on the website it does not seem to show the versions with the outside W-irons although the header image for the 20t hopper wagons page does show this variant.  Assume they will be in one of the following announcements.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having downloaded the Accurascale catalogue it shows an “M pack” which is not available to preorder at present.

When will these be listed ?.  More please……..

Edited by D5158
Typo error correction

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Well, you asked for it, so here we go...

NE-More Hoppers? - Further NER Hopper Wagons Announced!

1075743411_ACC2824PackH.jpg.e04448db7fc8ce858bfe417e4a338b37.jpg

The first batch of wagons have been very popular, with 8 packs covering various diagrams. However, many modellers were disappointed not to see many LNER era packs with the famed 'NE' branding. 

So, it's about time we made up for that and bring you batch two, along with some additional industrial and BR goodness too!

Let's have a look at what's coming up, with 8 new packs on offer...

1041780765_ACC2830PackN.jpg.2e46eb7790d6c4eff3615b09b6ad7cd6.jpg

494972791_ACC2818PackB.jpg.a8de725ce551200cc5199a8652c6aaa5.jpg

262889604_ACC2833PackQ.jpg.6129607bada13bec4e7b9f54375b399e.jpg

1280648571_ACC2827PackK.jpg.fb679ac66ec8a0695423df674bbbc5b6.jpg

Check out our blog to read all about the 8 new packs: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/ne-more-hoppers-further-ner-hopper-wagons-announced

Browse the range and pre-order for Q2 2024 delivery via your local stockist or direct right here: https://www.accurascale.com/en-eu/collections/ner-20-ton-hopper-wagons

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8