Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

3 months ! About 30 years ago ... would that sell enough ??

SLW are making a 25 based on 1 day… 

That said it was a special day, if someone Rocked up a D200… 1 day in 1988 would do it too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 31/12/2022 at 18:53, Cowley 47521 said:

And was a bit of a surprise one as it had been in original NSE for a while. There was a Laira blue one dumped around the back of the goods shed at Exeter st David’s for a while, can anyone remember if that was Illustrious or was it 50019 maybe?

I photograhed Ramillies in Riverside Yard on 22-12-90,in company with Howe,Barham and St. Vincent.

50019 was still in pretty sparkling condition after it's repaint a few months prior.Unable to post pics unfortunately.

An Accurascale 50019 in Laira blue would be very acceptable...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, reddragon said:

Any news on the AS & other seller exclusives yet? I'd love 50050 in large logo or a GBRf loco.

Maybe AS could do a poll?

I would say there will almost certainly be at least one of the GBRf pair produced, even if only for John Smith, or for charity purposes.   

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

When we display the first tooling sample we will likely have news of exclusives around then. So, watch this space…

Cheers!

Fran

When (dare I even ask) do you expect this to be roughly?

On 31/12/2022 at 22:28, adb968008 said:

I’d imagine this being quite a rare picture….

50019 and 37 in Laira Blue.

50042 + 50037 + 50019 Exeter 3/3/1990

flickr url / not mine )

Would have thought thats quite a rare one.  Did the pair ever work double headed together in those liveries?  Even just a positioning move from Laira to Exeter???  I take it if the Civil Engineer had have done refurbishment, then Laira would have been asking to paint the DCWAs in that..... A cast ship depot plaque would have looked pretty good on that too.  

On 07/01/2023 at 10:31, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

When we display the first tooling sample we will likely have news of exclusives around then. So, watch this space…

Cheers!

Fran

praying for an intercity liveried ‘Hood’ :) 

• Agree 2

On 29/12/2022 at 13:31, Simon Bendall said:

There's very little behind the hinged grilles at the No.2 end now, mostly just the frame for the air filters, which you can see in the pic as the grey verticals. At the No.1 end, the inner of the three grilles comes out as pictured, the top three-quarters or so, the bottom slats are welded in place. The two sets of moveable radiator slats alongside will come out as complete units but it's a monumental pain in the backside to do, even worse getting them back in!

That's where the motors where for the rheostatic brake was located.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Olivia's Trains offer a very attractive repaint of a Hornby 50 no. D400 into Hymek-style two tone Green (https://oliviastrains.com/product/Hornby-class-50-d400-two-tone-green/ ). I'd love Accurascale to offer their 50 like that.

Till you zoom in and see what a rather poor job it is ! I’m sure a factory could do better 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Till you zoom in and see what a rather poor job it is ! I’m sure a factory could do better 

Hmmm........and I think the numbers should be in the earlier block serif style too, unless the Class 14 'Teddy Bears' are assumed to have 'broken the mould' by the time such a sight would have appeared. If the Class 50s had been built in 1965 or the first half of 1966 perhaps DP2's 1965 repaint into two-tone green would have inspired such a scheme although the light green would have been Sherwood, not the Deltic/Hymek yellow-green. However I still reckon D444's repaint in preservation would have been how green Class 50s would have looked, as the later Class 25 construction as well as a few Class 24s and a pair of Class 27s had proved that two-tone green was not the preserve of Type 4s from Brush and had clearly found favour with BR.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 26/01/2023 at 02:15, Halvarras said:

Hmmm........and I think the numbers should be in the earlier block serif style too, unless the Class 14 'Teddy Bears' are assumed to have 'broken the mould' by the time such a sight would have appeared. If the Class 50s had been built in 1965 or the first half of 1966 perhaps DP2's 1965 repaint into two-tone green would have inspired such a scheme although the light green would have been Sherwood, not the Deltic/Hymek yellow-green.

An Accurascale 50 as TTG D444 would be most fantastic  

On 26/01/2023 at 02:15, Halvarras said:

However I still reckon D444's repaint in preservation would have been how green Class 50s would have looked, as the later Class 25 construction as well as a few Class 24s and a pair of Class 27s had proved that two-tone green was not the preserve of Type 4s from Brush and had clearly found favour with BR.

Still seeking evidence on TTG 5380 and 5382.  I believe both had been in Derby works and both came out with the Royal Train telephone blanking plate on their gangway doors.  Coincidentally a Royal Train ran just a little later over night from St Pancras to a station near an RAF airfield in Yorkshire.  A pair of BRCW type 2s were diagrammed to re-engine the train at Leicester and wor overnight to the RAF gig, then ECS back. Piecing this together I can imagine a pair of BRCWs being sent to Derby works for an intermediate overhaul, repaint and Royal Train comms fitment, especially for the job.  I believe the weather was so bad in Yorkshire that the flight back to London was cancelled and the Royal Train was run as a "class  1" back to London. . 

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Covkid said:

Still seeking evidence on TTG 5380 and 5382.  I believe both had been in Derby works and both came out with the Royal Train telephone blanking plate on their gangway doors.  Coincidentally a Royal Train ran just a little later over night from St Pancras to a station near an RAF airfield in Yorkshire.  A pair of BRCW type 2s were diagrammed to re-engine the train at Leicester and wor overnight to the RAF gig, then ECS back. Piecing this together I can imagine a pair of BRCWs being sent to Derby works for an intermediate overhaul, repaint and Royal Train comms fitment, especially for the job.  I believe the weather was so bad in Yorkshire that the flight back to London was cancelled and the Royal Train was run as a "class  1" back to London. . 

Interesting possibility!

I managed to get to Derby Works on 4th November 1969, just in time to catch a single LMR BRCW Type 2 inside - the one between the two TTG examples! It was still in GSYP livery and surprisingly emerged unchanged, going on to be the last '27' to run in this livery I believe, surviving into 1972.

I must admit D444 in TTG was a 'might-have-been' I really liked! (But 50035 in Loadhaul black/orange was not my thing at all, sorry 😬 !)

43 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I definitely prefer this one to the one portrayed by Olivia’s. From the English Electric Archive website. 

013AAAE8-51DE-404C-85D6-92274733391B.jpeg

Thanks for posting this "Hilux".  Yes. To quote John Travolta "it's the one that I want" !!!

I will probably buy a D423 but I really would like Accurascale or an associate like the CFA to produce  this, and think transition modellers like me would find it hard to resist. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

As I said many pages back, there is only one true livery for a 50 - Large Logo Blue. Anything else is heresy...

😉

Sorry, no. For me in BR blue with a "D" prefix to the number as that is how I remember them on the northern WCML. Would also need the brass "THIS LOCOMOTIVE IS THE PROPERTY OF ENGLISH ELECTRIC LEASINGS LIMITED" owners plate!

English electric.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Sorry to burst a few bubbles, but 2-tone green just doesn't look 'right' for me - a 'Hoover' has got to be BR blue.

Each to his/her own as they say.

Al.

The funny thing is that I didn't like the Banger Blue on them, but I still hold a great deal of nostalgia for them being like that. Large Logo was the look for me though!

• Agree 2