Class 50, By Accurascale

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

The funny thing is that I didn't like the Banger Blue on them, but I still hold a great deal of nostalgia for them being like that. Large Logo was the look for me though!

Yeah they looked a little anonymous in banger blue, whereas they kind of lit up the western region in large logo somehow.

It suited them really well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Yeah they looked a little anonymous in banger blue, whereas they kind of lit up the western region in large logo somehow.

It suited them really well.

When I moved to Oxford as an 11 year old and discovered the class 50s for the first time they were transitioning from Banger Blue to Large Logo and I remember those days fondly. I loved both liveries and the variety of the two. 

• Like 2

On 28/01/2023 at 09:08, Hilux5972 said:

I definitely prefer this one to the one portrayed by Olivia’s. From the English Electric Archive website. 

013AAAE8-51DE-404C-85D6-92274733391B.jpeg

Definitely an improvement on banger blue or the dreadful large logo version.  Notwork South East colours were more attractive than blue.

But I rather think green Hymek livery (before yellow panels) with white windows surrounds and the thinner yellowy green bottom stripe would have suited them better still

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Definitely an improvement on banger blue or the dreadful large logo version.  Notwork South East colours were more attractive than blue.

But I rather think green Hymek livery (before yellow panels) with white windows surrounds and the thinner yellowy green bottom stripe would have suited them better still

I'm inclined to agree! https://train.spottingworld.com/Dreadful 😃🤣

• Funny 5

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Dreadful largo logo ??

Is your bed big enough for a horses head ?:)

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Think it depends on your memories, I have said before a pair of 50s hammering down WBQs in banger blue really evokes my memories of the early/mid 70s so whilst  not everyone’s bag, it was certainly mine. I remember absolutely hating them when they replaced my beloved Westerns but now I have a bit of a soft spot for them. 

I have a massive soft spot for early Network Southeast. I know it’s not a great livery really, but it appeared on the scene when I was around 14 years old and when I started going down to Exeter St David’s after school in 1986.

The usual thing was to walk onto platform 1 and see whatever was loudly ticking over (and filling the general area up with acrid blue smoke) on the 16:18 Waterloo departure before walking over the footbridge to platform 6 to see what was on shed (lots of lovely banger blue stuff usually).

This particular day though I could see a set of white window surrounds on the other side of the station, and in the days where you had to wait until a monthly magazine came out to find out what was happening on the railways the only possible thing I could think of with white window surrounds was a Hymek…

It wasn’t a Hymek though. It was 50017 Royal Oak absolutely gleaming in a livery that I’d never seen before and didn’t know even existed, just a day or two after Network Southeast was launched in June 1986…

Great memories (and all hail the livery froth)!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I can't say I've ever liked the NSE liveries, whether on a Class 50 or not. I even stop one of my modelling periods short of that June 1986 day to avoid having anything in the livery (period being beginning 1985 to May 1986). That's why LL Blue with no orange cantrail stripe is the goto livery for class 50s for me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Question for the better informed, would the forthcoming 50014 but suitable for a renumber as 50046?

It was the first 50 I set eyes on, back in June/July 91, looking very tired in its LL livery. I wasn’t in Salisbury too long on the day, my Grandad wanted to get down to Southampton for a XC back to the midlands. 

14 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Which just goes to show how polarizing the subject of diesel locomotive liveries can be! 😆

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Which just goes to show how polarizing the subject of diesel locomotive liveries can be! 😆

I remember a time when just about everything was in banger blue! They were good old days!

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 4

TBH, I think whatever livery they were when you remember them as a kid , that’s the one you’ll love. 
I was also 14 in 1986, but my chuffer interest disappeared in 1985 when I joined the cadets.

So my original interest period was 1981-85 ! I remember telling dad he could have his N gauge roundy back….it’s amazing I’ve kept an interest in Blue all this time. I’m now quite upset that the interest didn’t prolong into sectorisation - when I came back everything  was red or American !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/01/2023 at 11:48, atom3624 said:

Sorry to burst a few bubbles, but 2-tone green just doesn't look 'right' for me - a 'Hoover' has got to be BR blue.

Each to his/her own as they say.

Al.

Nearly as bad as purple Deltics!

• Funny 1

TBH, I feel that the overall quest for authenticity amongst general modelling interests is so comprehensively swamped by the Rule One brigade, that Accurascale could release a Class 50 in 1963 'Dog's Ar5e With A Hat On' livery and still shift 504 units.

• Funny 2

58 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

TBH, I feel that the overall quest for authenticity amongst general modelling interests is so comprehensively swamped by the Rule One brigade, that Accurascale could release a Class 50 in 1963 'Dog's Ar5e With A Hat On' livery and still shift 504 units.

Someone add that to the list of liveries!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Accurascale could release a Class 50 in 1963 'Dog's Ar5e With A Hat On' livery and still shift 504 units.

A class 504 would be very nice, in-fact I think you must have been reading my mind.

But even half a 50 would still shift two 504 units.

8F7C6809-D32F-4242-8897-7C3937A445B1.jpeg.56e3c24bf84168966508adad70dde5ef.jpeg

(That is what you meant, wasnt it ?)

😁

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Pomp And Defiance - Accurascale Exclusive Class 50s Announced

50007 - Sir Edward Elgar 

Class_50_web_50007.jpg.e8e57f1dd1c3a2ae0ad53d7b5ed69ec5.jpg

Still controversial almost four decades after being repainted, 50007 was outshopped in Great Western Railway lined green with cast numbers and double arrow in February 1984 as part of the GW150 celebrations that were planned for the following year. At the same time, it lost its Hercules name in order to mark the 50th anniversary of the death of the composer Sir Edward Elgar – who had no connection with Brunel’s famous railway.

Got to take issue with the idea that Sir Edward had no connection with the GWR! Born in Worcester (which was of course a significant GWR workshop) and a regular traveller on route of the Cathedrals Express.  50 007 was selected to carry on the tradition of carrying the great mans name that had started with the naming of Castle 7005. 

Personally I loved 50 007 as Sir Edward - saw it fresh from repaint at Shrub Hill in the autumn of 1985. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Place your pre-order for your EE slab of magnificence by clicking here: 

https://www.accurascale.com/en-eu/collections/class-50

You really know how to sell it…

😁

But at least now the party is really starting…

Are these limited ? (Like 92010 etc) was ?

Edited by adb968008

7 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Got to take issue with the idea that Sir Edward had no connection with the GWR! Born in Worcester (which was of course a significant GWR workshop) and a regular traveller on route of the Cathedrals Express.  50 007 was selected to carry on the tradition of carrying the great mans name that had started with the naming of Castle 7005. 

Personally I loved 50 007 as Sir Edward - saw it fresh from repaint at Shrub Hill in the autumn of 1985. 

007 is pretty marmite with its renaming. The livery looked fine, but it should never have been renamed when there was so many other locos unnamed (of other classes) at the time - The 50s in general had some great names, but 'Hercules' really suits a diesel loco.

• Agree 3