Class 50, By Accurascale

On 12/09/2023 at 20:35, Roy Langridge said:

The decision to strip Hercules of its identity was such a marmite thing. For me it was wrong and there were plenty of other unnamed Class 47s that could have been named Sir Eddy, others loved it. 

Personally I was pleased to see 50007 returned to its original identity, although I appreciate why others were not. 

Similarly, many were unhappy when 50040 Leviathan lost its name and became Centurion after 50011 was scrapped. 

Roy

Weren't the 50007 repaint to get Laira incorporated on the GWR 150 Celebrations. At the end of the day in railway terms it's just a loco, with a number which BR could do what they want with.  A good few years ago, not Class 50, but a boss of the company I worked for at the time selected a loco to be repainted because it had a large repair, so it made sense to use that and avoid the expense and downtime of operable asset! 

Being a kid of the time, I was distraught when 50040 became Centurion.  But I suppose from a politics point of view, it maintained ties with the navy better and kept BR more current.  Especially with the locos working around Plymouth, and the huge amount of Navy staff travelling to Plymouth/Devonport by train, who could possibly notice and possibly may be a little embarrassing  especially if a local rag picked it up?  Then of course, even the Navy may have asked for such a rededication???? 

Just a point of view, but maybe BR were much more aware of their business.  It's certainly a better name than 'The Carbon Cutter' on a 222 which the legendary Journalist (and EE employee) Mr. Rodger Ford denounced as a pretty useless name, for making one of the most polluting trains, slightly less polluting! 

I am going to guess that if Accurascale do 50040 it will be as Leviathan....... 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Weren't the 50007 repaint to get Laira incorporated on the GWR 150 Celebrations. At the end of the day in railway terms it's just a loco, with a number which BR could do what they want with.  A good few years ago, not Class 50, but a boss of the company I worked for at the time selected a loco to be repainted because it had a large repair, so it made sense to use that and avoid the expense and downtime of operable asset! 

Being a kid of the time, I was distraught when 50040 became Centurion.  But I suppose from a politics point of view, it maintained ties with the navy better and kept BR more current.  Especially with the locos working around Plymouth, and the huge amount of Navy staff travelling to Plymouth/Devonport by train, who could possibly notice and possibly may be a little embarrassing  especially if a local rag picked it up?  Then of course, even the Navy may have asked for such a rededication???? 

Just a point of view, but maybe BR were much more aware of their business.  It's certainly a better name than 'The Carbon Cutter' on a 222 which the legendary Journalist (and EE employee) Mr. Rodger Ford denounced as a pretty useless name, for making one of the most polluting trains, slightly less polluting! 

I am going to guess that if Accurascale do 50040 it will be as Leviathan....... 

“ carbon cutter “. Great name. not. Just put the word “ sustainable “ in any BS you peddle and that does it these days 

I thought the low point of names was “ victim support “ on a 47. A long way from “ invincible “ !

Anyway, sorry, I digress. Back to the mighty 50s.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

I saw the pre-production sample at Kernow this afternoon.  It is a work of art!

I am hugely impressed.

I mentioned that Geoff Hudson is worth getting involved.  He lives locally to Kernow.  For those that don’t know he was Laira Depot manager at the end of the 50s in mainline service and was responsible for many of the repaints.  He is a railway modeller and a true gentleman.  He also knows all the fine details on each loco.

Here he is with Defiance at Long Rock in March 2019. (second from the right).

IMG_4449.jpeg

• Like 10

18 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

I saw the pre-production sample at Kernow this afternoon.  It is a work of art!

I am hugely impressed.

I mentioned that Geoff Hudson is worth getting involved.  He lives locally to Kernow.  For those that don’t know he was Laira Depot manager at the end of the 50s in mainline service and was responsible for many of the repaints.  He is a railway modeller and a true gentleman.  He also knows all the fine details on each loco.

Here he is with Defiance at Long Rock in March 2019. (second from the right).

IMG_4449.jpeg

I also believe that Geoff Hudson and Mike Woodhouse also have involvement with the  Fifty Fund/Class 50 Alliance. 

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

I also believe that Geoff Hudson and Mike Woodhouse also have involvement with the  Fifty Fund/Class 50 Alliance. 

We have indeed been speaking with Geoff and he has been very kindly liaising with us on various aspects of the 50 project 👍

Edited by McC
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, McC said:

We have indeed been speaking with Geoff and he has been very kindly liaising with us on various aspects of the 50 project 👍

I suppose he has seen the locos in bits as much as anyone.  A good call for finer details...... (So have the lower marker lights been incorporated into the tooling suite?) 

I've had a look at photos of 30 and 37 and I can't see any difference in the position of the marker lights to any of the others. They all line up to be fractionally higher compared to the horn covers, i.e. in the centre of the plate.

50037 Exeter 24.6.84 [RR84]

50037 copyright Paul Bettany

50030 copyright Dave Jolly

50033 50020 37133 37100 50041 50013 Doncaster Works July 1984.

50033 and 50013 copyright 37260

Edited by Flood
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, McC said:

That’s brilliant to read.  You will be producing the truly definitive models. I am so excited to see them.

Will be ideal for our (Redruth MRC) Reading layout.

2015_0318Trelissick14Mar0015.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

That’s brilliant to read.  You will be producing the truly definitive models. I am so excited to see them.

No Thumper on the Basingstoke? That can't be right.😁

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

12 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

I wonder if anyone in Reading has modelled Redruth station...? 😉

Looks fabulous by the way.

Quick gratuitous 50 fot...

Photo by Andy Hoare from his flickr site Old Oak on 24th January 1981...

AHVACOLDOAK240181.jpg.73a826d7a215bfb754dcaf529d9a1aa3.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, McC said:

When I was attempting to acquire 50017 when it was withdrawn from BR service, Geoff Hudson was extremely helpful.  In a way, I’m glad I didn’t get it as buying the loco was the least expensive part lol

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Flood said:

I've had a look at photos of 30 and 37 and I can't see any difference in the position of the marker lights to any of the others. They all line up to be fractionally higher compared to the horn covers, i.e. in the centre of the plate.

50037 Exeter 24.6.84 [RR84]

50037 copyright Paul Bettany

50030 copyright Dave Jolly

50033 50020 37133 37100 50041 50013 Doncaster Works July 1984.

50033 and 50013 copyright 37260

Not my photos, but hopefully this illustrates it suitably.  Sorry its 29 not 30, which I got muddled up with on the pics on RRRG.  Obviously LL numbers are too small for me! 

Not my photos, but hopefully demonstrating it...... In no particular order normal markers and low. 1st Pic - definitely low.... 

Screenshot_20230924-115430.png

Screenshot_20230924-120013.png

Screenshot_20230924-120123.png

Screenshot_20230924-120024.png

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

Just now watching ‘Fall and Rise of the 50s’ and enjoying D400/D433 on the Midland Scotsman to Glasgow on 5 Feb ‘94.  That would be worth modelling!

What video is this and where did you get it please ? I cannot find anything on a web search.

• Agree 1