Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2023 at 15:17, atom3624 said:

Sun-bleached red - over 50 years' of use perhaps?

Red is a notorious colour for fading and generally deteriorating with exposure to sunlight, but I’ve never seen any shade of red fade to a yellow colour, so I’d go with Iron Horse and suggest that fan was yellow.

Edited by brushman47544

16 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Red is a notorious colour for fading and generally deteriorating with exposure to sunlight, but I’ve never seen any shade of red fade to a yellow colour, so I’d go with Iron Horse and suggest that fan was yellow.

Look for images of 90136 then 90036 in its Sybic livery. Although the red on the sector logo stayed red, the "Railfreight Distribution" branding on the lower bodyside faded from red to yellow.

On 29/11/2023 at 16:54, Iron Horse said:

I did speak to Richard at Warley about the fan colour but he wasn't completely sure either, I thought generally refurbished 50's had a yellow fan but the pics he had of 50017 at the GCR and it's red, let the discussion begin 🤣

From what I recall of the ex traffic spares stock for 50026, there was a red one, yellow one and the one that went back in, yellow with red tips, so take your pick.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 29/11/2023 at 13:31, Pete the Elaner said:

I don't remember seeing any locos in Swallow with light grey. I have found a couple of photos of 87031 with the Italic Intercity branding with yellow ends (but no wrap around) & light grey but no swallow logo.

But I would not be bold enough to state that no locos ever ran like it.

Exceptions are the 43s & 91s which had both silver white on the lower side of the nose end & light grey on the lower side at the coach end.

I think I have a suitable candidate. 47509. 

https://youtu.be/UDJw3gMM2y4?si=WN7M8bRUTzMP3SD4

The time in this video is 4:22.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

I think I have a suitable candidate. 47509. 

https://youtu.be/UDJw3gMM2y4?si=WN7M8bRUTzMP3SD4

The time in this video is 4:22.

Tons of 47’s (47/8’s) had silver white at the bottom.

The video shows at least 6 in the 38 minutes footage.

that was certainly no ordinary day at Preston station ! That was Network North West Day, the diesel equivalent of a plandampf with various freight and exotic locos on passenger turns.. 60056’s debut, and at 32mins in you can see the Accurascale mk2c BFK in Intercity.

At 18m36, where the 31/1 is shunting the RR mk2 stock past 26040 you can see a RR Mk2b 5491. Indeed 26040 was only solo as its dance partner got dragged from Victoria to Bolton and nearly caught fire, ended up dumped in the pass through line at Bolton.

Theres other interesting stuff there including a failed Glasgow London Motorail, with a REs 47 dragging 86260 south (must be lovely timekeeping), and ignores there must have been at least 3 class 86’s around Preston spare. Indeed both before and after was a Manchester -Glasgow, and a Euston -Blackpool AC/D loco change.
I never get how southbound departures from Preston Diesel drivers used to seem to love letting rip and going full beans on what is a straight ahead downhill departure… full wang everytime.

lovely video broight back a lot of memories, and 37706 on that Barrow was fantastic.. i’m in the second coach at the window in that vid. The 20’s were pretty special too.

Didnt realise Preston still had sleeper cars in 1992.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Tons of 47’s (47/8’s) had silver white at the bottom.

The video shows at least 6 in the 38 minutes footage.

that was certainly no ordinary day at Preston station ! That was Network North West Day, the diesel equivalent of a plandampf with various freight and exotic locos on passenger turns.. 60056’s debut, and at 32mins in you can see the Accurascale mk2c BFK in Intercity.

At 18m36, where the 31/1 is shunting the RR mk2 stock past 26040 you can see a RR Mk2b 5491. Indeed 26040 was only solo as its dance partner got dragged from Victoria to Bolton and nearly caught fire, ended up dumped in the pass through line at Bolton.

Theres other interesting stuff there including a failed Glasgow London Motorail, with a REs 47 dragging 86260 south (must be lovely timekeeping), and ignores there must have been at least 3 class 86’s around Preston spare. Indeed both before and after was a Manchester -Glasgow, and a Euston -Blackpool AC/D loco change.
I never get how southbound departures from Preston Diesel drivers used to seem to love letting rip and going full beans on what is a straight ahead downhill departure… full wang everytime.

lovely video broight back a lot of memories, and 37706 on that Blackpool was fantastic.. i’m in the second coach at the window in that vid. The 20’s were pretty special too.

Didnt realise Preston still had sleeper cars in 1992.

The HST set that 43054 and 43073 were working was The Cumbrian Coast 125 run by Hertfordshire Railtours from St Pancras to Workington.

As for the diesel drivers letting rip southbound, I miss the cross country 47's for that reason. Also the HST's used to go for it heading south as well. In 1992 I was only 10 years old. 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

The HST set that 43054 and 43073 were working was The Cumbrian Coast 125 run by Hertfordshire Railtours from St Pancras to Workington.

As for the diesel drivers letting rip southbound, I miss the cross country 47's for that reason. Also the HST's used to go for it heading south as well. In 1992 I was only 10 years old. 

Only thing missing that day was a class 50!

I seem to recall they did try, but it was too costly / difficult.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The class 50 is one of those engines I have often looked at over the many years of modelling but never got. do I need one?  Well not when I was more steam oriented. But, now I’ve gone more modern 50014 Warsprite did look very tempting with its black roof. So have ordered the full fat version.  
would the white roof 50021 Rodney have been seen together? And Am I right it’s only the sound fitted models that have the working roof van. 

2 Warship names how could you go wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farren said:

The class 50 is one of those engines I have often looked at over the many years of modelling but never got. do I need one?  Well not when I was more steam oriented. But, now I’ve gone more modern 50014 Warsprite did look very tempting with its black roof. So have ordered the full fat version.  
would the white roof 50021 Rodney have been seen together? And Am I right it’s only the sound fitted models that have the working roof van. 

2 Warship names how could you go wrong. 

"White" roof?

From looking at Accurascale's site the model of 50021 has an orange cantrail stripe, with its grey roof, which it gained after overhaul at Doncaster in early 1986. 50014 gained the black roof and orange stripe from May 1986 so the two are compatible from May 1986 until 50014's last workings in October 1987.

Edited by Flood
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Flood said:

"White" roof?

From looking at Accurascale's site the model of 50021 has an orange cantrail stripe, with its grey roof, which it gained after overhaul at Doncaster in early 1986. 50014 gained the black roof and orange stripe from May 1986 so the two are compatible from May 1986 until 50014's last workings in October 1987.

Thank you for your answer, now all I have to do is make a decision which model to order next, a second 50 or a second 55. Tough call nearly has bad has having to pick between Bacon or sausage for my Saturday morning sandwich. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, farren said:

Thank you for your answer, now all I have to do is make a decision which model to order next, a second 50 or a second 55. Tough call nearly has bad has having to pick between Bacon or sausage for my Saturday morning sandwich. 

That's easy, both. For the next loco and for the sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see the Accurascale video of 50008 running on Pete Waterman's layout. 

As built the tail lights on the class 50s were below the cab windscreens and lit when trailing.  In preservation 50044 was modified to to have the drivers side taillight converted to display a white headlight when leading. This was because 50044 had the 1980s headlight removed in preservation.

More recently 50008 has had the tail lights modified as white marker lights when leading, and Accurascale have clearly designed the new model with this feature, as that is what the Accurascale prototype runs as. 

Nice one Accurascale 

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Interesting to see the Accurascale video of 50008 running on Pete Waterman's layout. 

As built the tail lights on the class 50s were below the cab windscreens and lit when trailing.  50044 was modified to to have the drivers side taillight converted to display a white headlight when leading. This was because 50044 had the 1980s headlight removed in preservation.

More recenty 50008 has had the tail lights modified as white marker lights when leading,m and Accurascale have clearly designed the new model with this feature, as that is what the Accurascale prototype runs as. 

Nice one Accurascale 

I assumed there was something wrong as the headlight wasn’t on! Didn’t know it was actually a thing 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 19/01/2024 at 19:56, 50025 said:

Really nice to see some additional models for the Cavalex 60 forum. Just saying Fran 🙏

Indeed...... and we've not had a revised NSE one announced yet either..... 50016 or 50027 would be nice.... Just saying Fran 🙏

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 50025 said:

It’s a new phrase ‘Just saying Fran 🙏

cough 50019 departmental blue

D400railtour

Don’t you mean cough, anything refurbished in BR Blue without an orange stripe… 😉

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1