Rapido OO Gauge GWR 44xx/45xx/4575 Small Prairie

AY Mod

Fantastic. A great choice to tool the 44xx. Definitely one of the missing GW locos in RTR form. Suppose I can cancel my search for a decent but economically priced Bachmann 45xx which I was going to convert. Just an Aberdare and 1101 class dock tank now to keep me even happier 😃 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Paul.Uni said:

If you're taking livery requests, I'll purchase models of L150 in:

• 2013 variation of livery with full hight cab
  • 2013 variation of livery with reduced height cab
  • 2021 variation of livery with reduced height cab

There are variations of liveries?

17 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

The 44xx is welcome but the 45xx & 4575 variant is an odd choice as there’s very little wrong with the Bachmann model and I won’t be replacing mine. 

Surely low hanging fruit like the Saint and Hawksworth County would’ve been a better choice? 

CoY

The even lower hanging fruit are the Metro tank and 517 class plus various classes of saddle-later-pannier tanks.

I shall be sticking with Bachmann whose model can be had for sub £60 secondhand. Given that Rapido appear to be avoiding using wiper pickups on their models and instead using the problematic split chassis that, as yet, no-one has made reliable on steam locos I won't be buying their locos.

Edited by Madreddog
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Design work is already under way and Rapido aims to include key changes made to the ‘Small Prairies’ throughout their lives as well as myriad smaller detail differences.

I wonder how far back Rapido intend to go with the 44xx. The original design would be nice, but I'm not too hopeful.

1227.jpg

Source: Image embedded from Heather's build on the S7 pages:  https://www.scaleseven.org.uk/index.php?id=386

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

22 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Heather's build

Fascinating, thanks for sharing! Agreed, original condition is the only thing I could get anywhere near justifying, although it's obviously a B Set ummm, well, set. Rapido rarely disappoints, I'm happy to wait and see what they've got in mind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I might be tempted by a 44xx but like others can see no issue with the current 45xx from Bachmann. Other yet to be filled gaps in the loco line up  would have been more welcome.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Agree with most of the above. A 44xx is  too early for me and other two are admirably catered for by Bachmann.

I suppose the early Wolverhampton 45xx with straight running plate step might be an option - 4517 lasted until 1963.

Agree about the Hawksworth County. Strange that Hornby, Bachmann, Accurascale and Rapido have all avoided it - the non- standard tender, perhaps?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The 44xx is welcome but I can't understand the others, frankly.

The only silver lining is that they might do it in N gauge where the Dapol model has solid wheels, and geared to run far faster than it should be. Clearly needs replacing and not just making DCC-friendly (not even DCC-ready) as Dapol seem to be planning for the Ivatt tank.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the under-served GWR 4mm scale market finally getting some product. 😆

But Rapido are forgiven all because they’re doing the NER Dynamometer Car in N.  Please shrink the Y7 too Rapido!!

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
Spelling
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

I might be tempted by a 44xx but like others can see no issue with the current 45xx from Bachmann. Other yet to be filled gaps in the loco line up  would have been more welcome.

For starters the Bachmann 4500-4574 valence should be wider over the cylinders. The motion bracket on the 4575 is wrong and should be the flanged type seen on the later large prairies.

The motion bracket on both has what I assume is a lubrication filler for the vacuum pump on both sides of the motion bracket. It should only be on the right hand side.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the different wheelbases of the 44xx, 45xx and 4575 classes.

It isn't just the variations in wheelbase; the whole relationship of body, cylinders and chassis is different between 44xx and 45xx/4575, because of the smaller wheels. The differences are mostly small, the biggest being 6" in the length between blast pipe and cylinders and the front axle, but cumulatively do they affect the appearance. 

• Like 3