Rapido OO Gauge GWR 44xx/45xx/4575 Small Prairie

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2023 at 15:54, rprodgers said:

The issue of GW paint is contentious some authorities state the GW green pre 1928 was a darker shade, including the paint manufacturers- Precision, Railmatch and Phoenix.

Precision and Phoenix being one and the same. Just in a different order.😉

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't read all the pages on subject of 44xx tanks but is 4400 having a curved fall to the front footplate as it was the only one of its class. All rest had square drops. Have ordered 2 for my Much Wenlock to Craven Arms branch. 4400,4401,4403,4406 and 4409 were all Wellington 84H locos and worked the branch

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Greetings all.

Apologies if what I ask has been answered but I have searched.  I think I am going for 4408 as my period is 1919/20 as it is inside pipes and tapered chimney, but I am confused about the paint scheme.  In my period should I be looking at fully lined with Great (crest) Western as the livery but the paint on both 4400 and 4408 look like post 22. If so I guess I am going to either have to learn to paint or find a painter :)

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Premium

I can't immediately recall any small prairies in GREAT (crest) WESTERN with extended bunkers - I think when they were elongated/enheightened they were turned out in GREAT WESTERN (no crest) livery.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

I can't immediately recall any small prairies in GREAT (crest) WESTERN with extended bunkers - I think when they were elongated/enheightened they were turned out in GREAT WESTERN (no crest) livery.

Awesome, thanks..  I have seen the pic of 4409 in 1920 as per delivered so in my fictional world I’ll assume 4408 was also extended by then to fit my layout.  So it may well be that my 44xx is in plain Great Western, but the 45xx when it comes will be in fully lined Great (crest) Western as per pictures in 1914 and not repainted during wartime.

Graham

Edited by Moria15

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

4407-1.jpg.07b85398d9066381a9a1337dbeb23dec.jpg

If someone can find me a photo that clear of a 45xx with a rear ATC shoe, that would be marvellous! I strongly suspect they would remain mounted inboard of the extension but I haven't managed to prove it!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

4526-st-blazey-1955-crop.jpg.9a20243e56e8b1db0d01e74e7008c7ee.jpg

(St Blazey, 1955)

Thanks. It's not 100% conclusive but that looks like it's still in the original position where it would have been bolted to the back of the original buffer beam pre-extension - if the packing piece is solid that would make sense obviously.

Also pretty big lumps of coal!

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 weeks later...