Dapol OO - JHA bogie wagons

AY Mod

• Moderators

Dapol tools for 'inner' and 'outer' variants of these Powell and Duffryn-built prototypes, with models expected in 2023.

image.png

image.png

Models are in tooling, with first 'shots' expected early 2023, and production models arriving with retailers in Q3, 2023. Early CAD images are shown for illustration only, and Dapol has said that the number of internal ribs has been corrected, with "other adjustments made to underframe detailing."

Models are to carry an RRP of £60.00 for the end hoppers, with middle hoppers priced at £55.00.

Built by Powell and Duffryn these high capacity wagons were originally bought by ARC and wore the distinctive ARC livery but have since changed to wearing Hanson’s livery. They have on occasion also been seen sporting plain grey to hide graffiti.

The fleet is noticeable for its use of distinctive inside bearing TF1 low track force bogies. There are a few variants of the hopper. The outer hoppers are numbered 17XXX and the inner hoppers are numbered 19XXX. Only the most distal end of the outer hoppers are fitted with buffers, all wagons are fitted with buckeye couplings.

image.png

The Dapol model of the P&D JHA hopper is expected to feature:

Inner and outer versions of the hopper: Inner wagons without buffers and buckeye couplings, outer wagons with lamp, sprung buffers and tension-lock couplings with NEM pocket at one end, other end without buffers and fitted with buckeye couplings

Die-cast chassis

Profiled wheels

Sprung buffers on outer most wagon end

Close coupling mechanism fitted to both types, capable of operating on minimum of 438mm radius

Working rear lamp on outer most end of the train (DC directional, 6 pin DCC socket for control of flashing lamp)

The models will be finished with high level of detail, which will include many separately added details

Designed from works drawings

Liveries proposed are as follows:

4F-081-101 P & D JHA (middle hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 19823

4F-081-102 P & D JHA (middle hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 19841

4F-081-103 P & D JHA (middle hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 19853

4F-081-104 P & D JHA (middle hopper) Hanson Blue & Grey 19802

4F-081-105 P & D JHA (middle hopper) Hanson Blue & Grey 19811

4F-081-106 P & D JHA (middle hopper) Hanson Blue & Grey 19833

4F-081-001 P & D JHA (end hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 17912

4F-081-002 P & D JHA (end hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 17918

4F-081-003 P & D JHA (end hopper) Hanson Blue & Grey 17913

4F-081-004 P & D JHA (end hopper) Hansen Blue & Grey 17922

See your local Dapol stockist to pre-order the above models.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

59 minutes ago, D7100 said:

Does anyone know these wagon's history, (Dapol's version).

Build dates, livery dates etc.

Thanks in advance.

Several when brand new https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/arcjha

Unusual in being built at Standard wagon at Heywood when owned by PD. Order no. 134 - see Tandy, David W. (2009) Standard Railway Wagon Co. Heywood Works. Ty Mawr Publications ISBN 09552354-2-1. 128 pages

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, D7100 said:

Does anyone know these wagon's history, (Dapol's version).

Build dates, livery dates etc.

Thanks in advance.

Built 1990 / 91, initially operated only from Whatley Quarry, but also loaded at Machen, Avonmouth, Tytherington. Also worked to Peak Forest and Stud Farm from Acton, Peak was around 2005-06. 

Depots served include Theale, Hayes, St Pancras, Dagenham, Ardingly and Allington. I'm probably missing some too. They have on occasion served Wootton Bassett too when there has been need for extra capacity.

Delivered in ARC mustard, in 1998 a small handful gained the revised mustard and silver livery. All subsequently gained Hanson blue and light grey. 

They work with the prototype wagon, JHA number ARC17901 (now an outer), and an additional batch of inners built by Procor to a different design. More recent years have seen various buffer fitted wagons added to the Mendip fleet such as IIA and HOAs, and these run mixed in, but can only be coupled to an outer. While DB had the Mendip contract, ex coal HTA hoppers also ran intermingled with them. 

Whilst we're here, I'll quickly dispell the modellers myth... they do not run in fixed sets of fives. Yes Dapol are producing them in fives, but the real things are not marshalled as such so add as many inners between your outers as you want! You might also have back to back pairs of outers mid train too.

Anything else just ask, I've spent pretty much my whole career dealing with these wagons and others associated with Mendip flows. 

Once these are out, I'll probably do a decal pack to renumber them so you can have plenty of different numbers, handy with the huge numbers on the ends. I've done most of the artwork for my own N scale models already.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

A detail to note on those pictures posted by @Lyddrail, later on the numbers were on a white rectangle. There were issues with either the axles or the bearings and the fleet was stopped, they gained the white backed numbers once modified.

Jo

Hi Jo.

Would that have been 1994? If I remember correctly there was a big derailment at Hungerford involving the JHA’s. I can’t remember exactly the cause but I think it was down to a cold fracture in one of the axles?

All sorts of wagons were pressed into service and the NP limestone wagons were brought down and used with double headed class 37s? 

Apologies for thread drift.

1 hour ago, Purnu said:

Hi Jo.

Would that have been 1994? If I remember correctly there was a big derailment at Hungerford involving the JHA’s. I can’t remember exactly the cause but I think it was down to a cold fracture in one of the axles?

All sorts of wagons were pressed into service and the NP limestone wagons were brought down and used with double headed class 37s? 

Apologies for thread drift.

Probably so, it's just a fact I picked up when at Whatley some 20 years later.

All sorts came down in that period, as well as the National Power stuff various other hoppers like the Tiphook KPAs and even the Tilcon PGAs were trialled, but were not successful. 

Jo

I seen one of these JHAs at the Fareham terminal this year as a end wagon, presumably Whatley had no buffer fitted box wagons so stuck the JHA hopper on the end, it then had a couple of box wagons between it and the loco providing the strange sight of a hopper wagon in the middle of a load of boxes.

20 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

I seen one of these JHAs at the Fareham terminal this year as a end wagon, presumably Whatley had no buffer fitted box wagons so stuck the JHA hopper on the end, it then had a couple of box wagons between it and the loco providing the strange sight of a hopper wagon in the middle of a load of boxes.

Correct. That JHA was with that set of boxes for a good few weeks until a box outer wagon became available. Obviously the hopper remained empty as terminals that take boxes can't discharge hoppers.

Jo

On 26/11/2022 at 10:18, AY Mod said:

Dapol tools for 'inner' and 'outer' variants of these Powell and Duffryn-built prototypes, with models expected in 2023.

Built by Powell and Duffryn these high capacity wagons

The Dapol model of the P&D JHA hopper is expected to feature:

4F-081-101 P & D JHA (middle hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 19823

4F-081-102 P & D JHA (middle hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 19841

4F-081-103 P & D JHA (middle hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 19853

4F-081-104 P & D JHA (middle hopper) Hanson Blue & Grey 19802

4F-081-105 P & D JHA (middle hopper) Hanson Blue & Grey 19811

4F-081-106 P & D JHA (middle hopper) Hanson Blue & Grey 19833

4F-081-001 P & D JHA (end hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 17912

4F-081-002 P & D JHA (end hopper) ARC Olive & Grey 17918

4F-081-003 P & D JHA (end hopper) Hanson Blue & Grey 17913

4F-081-004 P & D JHA (end hopper) Hansen Blue & Grey 17922

Glad to see these emerge but I have no idea who "P & D" are! 🤣

The company's name at this point was "Powell Duffryn Standard". I'm not sure "Powell & Duffryn" ever existed. "Powell Duffryn", but not "Powell & Duffryn" (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PD_Ports).

So it would be more accurate to call them "PDS JHAs" rather than "P & D JHA".

I'll save my feedback on the CAD for Dapol directly.

Here's one of the builders plates:

PDS_Plate.jpg.d6af9353e8ee93fdbf67b43893062198.jpg

On 26/11/2022 at 10:18, AY Mod said:

The fleet is noticeable for its use of distinctive inside bearing TF1 low track force bogies.

Officially known as the "Gloucester LTF-25" in the Powell Duffryn Standard literature. Not sure what the TF1 is? Never heard of it.

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 27/11/2022 at 12:11, Steadfast said:

A detail to note on those pictures posted by @Lyddrail, later on the numbers were on a white rectangle. There were issues with either the axles or the bearings and the fleet was stopped, they gained the white backed numbers once modified.

Jo

Picture taken at Old Oak Common in March 1995. Presumably the long rakes of ARC wagons in the background are those stored after the issues experienced?

By the way, when Dapol say 'ARC Olive & Grey' livery I assume they mean the original ARC 'Mustard' livery?

47s OOC.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Picture taken at Old Oak Common in March 1995. Presumably the long rakes of ARC wagons in the background are those stored after the issues experienced?

By the way, when Dapol say 'ARC Olive & Grey' livery I assume they mean the original ARC 'Mustard' livery?

47s OOC.jpg

Gawd, my eyesight must be bad, I was looking at this picture and I could see the 47s waiting for some WD40 and Tcut before their next duty, the dmus in the background and all that overgrown track with green grass behind them.  I was thinking, what on earth has this to do with JHA wagons, then slowly the background began to focus and I realised it was not grass I could see......

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, WILLIAM said:

47s OOC.jpg

'ARC Mustard' is actually BS4800 10-D-44 which is named 'Light Olive'. So Dapol are correct to call it that. Also, from talking to staff at Whatley 'olive' is also what the colour was known as.

Great shot that, by the way!

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Resurrecting this thread as the original information mentioned a Q3 2023 launch.

I realise we have only just entered this period, but has anyone had any updates?

Having visited the Dapol website, I can not see any information.

Looking forward to your feedback.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Going2theDogs said:

Hi All,

Resurrecting this thread as the original information mentioned a Q3 2023 launch.

I realise we have only just entered this period, but has anyone had any updates?

Having visited the Dapol website, I can not see any information.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Based on Dapols track record I'd say that they won't arrive in Q3 and that Dapol won't give any meaningful progress update any time soon....