New Gostude

Mike Huxley

• RMweb Gold

And yet having watched many D&S kits go for ludicrous money - if they started it at 99p it would likely end up going for about £50. It's a gamble of course but this cost of living crisis doesn't seem to be affecting some people!

• Agree 1

I have bought a couple of O gauge freight cars form Gostude, items I wanted at a price I was prepared to pay, postage included and his delivery was quick, 100% positive. Yes a lot of his stuff is expensive, so look elsewhere.

As for this item, well easy, just walk on by, as Dionne Warwick sang.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

It seems to me that eBay is FULL of what I call Charlatans or chancers - all of them trying to fleece the unwary.

The numbers of people who are asking “new” prices for secondhand goods is frankly, astonishing. I do watch some items though and they do seem to sell, occasionally. Which just goes to prove the old saying “there’s one born every minute”

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

What would an RTR model of that prototype cost nowadays?

CJI.

Oxford about £18 or less, Bachmann nearer £30 , it doesnt mean that many people are actually buying at Bachmann prices.I would'nt. Dont forget the wheels and couplings add another £5 ish for the kit as well, and you have build and paint/decal it too.

If he finds someone willing to pay the prices then beyond belief, again it wont be me.The seller has been trying to offload for about a month so far, with virtually the same kits everytime.

1 minute ago, micklner said:

Oxford about £18 or less, Bachmann nearer £30 , it doesnt mean that many people are actually buying at Bachmann prices.I would'nt. Dont forget the wheels and couplings add another £5 ish for the kit as well, and you have build and paint/decal it too.

If he finds someone willing to pay the prices then beyond belief, again it wont be me.The seller has been trying to offload for about a month so far, with virtually the same kits everytime.

As with any item offered for sale, the market will decide.

Someone who particularly wants a model of that particular prototype will, eventually, pay the asking price; presumably the seller is in no hurry.

Whether we would be that person is, as ever, our own business.

CJI

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Bucoops said:

And yet having watched many D&S kits go for ludicrous money - if they started it at 99p it would likely end up going for about £50. It's a gamble of course but this cost of living crisis doesn't seem to be affecting some people!

Fool, money etc. etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

It seems to me that eBay is FULL of what I call Charlatans or chancers - all of them trying to fleece the unwary.

The numbers of people who are asking “new” prices for secondhand goods is frankly, astonishing. I do watch some items though and they do seem to sell, occasionally. Which just goes to prove the old saying “there’s one born every minute”

Agree, but there also many items starting with a decent or low bid price and being bid / fought over going for silly money.

Just prior to and over Covid I bought quite a few O gauge freight cars and a few locos, some were buy it now at very reasonable prices, (some ridiculously cheap), some I bid and won without much opposition. I have quite enough stock now but will occasionally bid on an item I fancy, or just watch what the item goes for. Some say we are in a recession but seemingly not on ebay, old locos etc going for £250+ (which 2 years ago were  approx £100 - £150), freight cars (new style Atlas) are north of £50, some are probably worth it, but not for me knowing the prices I paid in the last 2 - 3 years. Some bidding wars are just plain silly and I won't get involved, but they are fun to watch.

As always its a case of buyer beware.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Peter Eaton said:

Wheeler dealing ?

& plenty of these in the completed listing. works for MI6 ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115624691553?hash=item1aebc4c761:g:OAIAAOSwg19jiVBr

Any chance you could explain to those of us slow of brain exactly what he is selling and what the hell the description all about, seems more like a mathematical formula to me!

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

Any chance you could explain to those of us slow of brain exactly what he is selling and what the hell the description all about, seems more like a mathematical formula to me!

Mike.

Someone has contacted him and requested xyz items and the seller has created a custom listing with all of them included for the agreed price. They buyer then buys that listing. Keeps things within ebay rules - i.e. ebay get their cut.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/12/2022 at 20:26, Bucoops said:

Someone has contacted him and requested xyz items and the seller has created a custom listing with all of them included for the agreed price. They buyer then buys that listing. Keeps things within ebay rules - i.e. ebay get their cut.

Spot on. Did that for a buyer last week. Also protects us both if anything goes awry as it’s through eBay still. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Spot on. Did that for a buyer last week. Also protects us both if anything goes awry as it’s through eBay still. 

Yeah, same here with vinyl from the same or multiple artists. It's a good tactic as you say.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 03/12/2022 at 10:35, Allegheny1600 said:

I don't buy new RTR but buy kits, If I buy from a private seller then its obvious its second hand even if its still sealed up, as for "new" prices go to your local shop!!  eBay does not force you to buy anything, like a high street shop if you don't like the price simply walk on by

I wanted an 18v Black & Decker strimmer as I have both chargers and batteries, I bought one which stated no battery or charger. It arrived the strimmer was unused and still wrapped up and had both a charger and battery at a third of the cost of a new one. Obviously a return as the person was selling two or three of them. Whilst it could be palmed off as ex-display or new opened and just as in the reduced bins if its worth it buy it

• Like 1