2022 Footbridge

• RMweb Gold

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-63899869

This looks a good idea - lighter, using modern materials.

Sadly a link below the item told me the Wood brewery, in the village, closed in February. I recall being taken there in the early '80s when it was new, and subsequently. More than a dozen of us, mainly mature horsey types, but including late first wife Deb, wining and dining, and reminiscing about the day's ride over the Long Mynd. I was just a hanger-on, but it was all very convivial, and our host, Donald Pearse, was always happy to talk about the SVR, where I might well have been a passenger that day. His son, Ian, was then a Bachmann rep, I think, and went on to design and build radio-controlled live-steam, eventually being head-hunted by a US firm to mount their assault on the UK market with such items. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Looks pretty ghastly.

I quite like it and it obviously has a lot going for it in practical terms.

37 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Surprising that a new design of bridge, which presumably they hope will become a standard product does not suit wheelchair users, even though disability access may not be relevant at that particular location

It it's to replace a footpath crossing there may not be the same accessibility requirements; particularly if the rest of the path isn't accessible for other reasons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, melmoth said:

The six foot way seems quite wide there

I think those images are at Long Marston test centre evidenced by the electrification termination mast in the background.

_127926186_flow2.png.webp

I'd say it's where that jumble of equipment is by the crossing in this Google Earth snap.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

My colleagues in Network Rail Design Delivery Bristol have been instrumental in designing this bridge and they are rightly proud of it.

The key to the design is its simplicity and ease of installation to help bring costs down for footbridge installation, making it easier for us in signalling design to close level crossings!

Simon

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Surprising that a new design of bridge, which presumably they hope will become a standard product does not suit wheelchair users, even though disability access may not be relevant at that particular location

Hi Michael,

There has been done comment on the DDA compliance, but I think this is hoped to become the standard where disabled access is not required such as at Craven Arms where the footpath it replaces can’t be accessed by disabled individuals or where alternative disabled access is provided.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Looks pretty ghastly.

So does the aftermath of a foot crossing accident. 

I quite like it - the current alternative is hideous - but I wonder how many local vandals have to be applied to that handrail before the glass panels fail ?

• Agree 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I wonder how many local vandals have to be applied to that handrail before the glass panels fail ?

I would say it's a low risk location, around 400m from the middle of nowhere.

image.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I wonder how many local vandals have to be applied to that handrail before the glass panels fail ?

More info from the Network Rail page at

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/industry-and-commercial/research-development-and-technology/research-and-development-programme/innovative-modular-footbridge-design/

(was linked from the BBC article).

Among which it says:

The parapets for the prototype are made from toughened laminated glass, showcasing what is possible with the design. The materials create a very open feel for users of the bridge, making the railway a positive part of the journey

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed. I've also been dealing with railway vandals for a while and their ingenuity is also impressive sometimes. 

I would expect that the modular design allows a solid parapet at higher risk locations, or they're working on a transparent composite, or they're as cynical as me and they've already tested it beyond two dozen neds all swinging on it at the same time. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

So does the aftermath of a foot crossing accident. 

I quite like it - the current alternative is hideous - but I wonder how many local vandals have to be applied to that handrail before the glass panels fail ?

It's a bit much to suggest that because I find that particular design extremely visually unappealing I'm implying that I'm happy for people to get hit by trains instead? I certainly wasn't trying to make an argument against footbridges in general.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

The thing in the middle of this view looks like some sort of trebuchet - could be an alternative way to get people across multiple tracks?

Makes Human Cannonball stuff seem quite tame!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Yeah, but quite near somewhere that's saving up to become a one horse town

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

image.png

its certainly an interesting concept, quite interested to see how it looks once installed, I can honestly say though that all the times I’ve driven a train down there I’ve never seen anyone on or near that crossing! 

just hope it doesn’t go the same way as the vandal proof plastic waiting room in Upton on the wirral, big fanfare about how it was vandal proof, easy clean, cheap to install etc only for it to be melted into a puddle of molten plastic after vandals set fire to a mattress in it after a couple of days use!  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 08/12/2022 at 13:16, AY Mod said:

image.png

I think the recent incidents occurring in the Craven Arms area have shown us that even the most rural of areas like this can have their issues and elements of criminality / vandalism. Potentially, TfW may now be down two 150/2s from the Craven Arms incident, certainly the subsequent vandalism and arson may well have caused the writing on the wall for one or either of them! 

And yes, I was quite surprised to see the amount of damage caused by vandalism during their time parked up there while awaiting recovery to Canton! 

• RMweb Premium
On 08/12/2022 at 19:42, big jim said:

just hope it doesn’t go the same way as the vandal proof plastic waiting room in Upton on the wirral, big fanfare about how it was vandal proof, easy clean, cheap to install etc only for it to be melted into a puddle of molten plastic after vandals set fire to a mattress in it after a couple of days use!

When I worked at BT/GPO there was  a bit of fanfare about the replacement material for the glass in the standard telephone box, which was constantly being smashed by vandals.

IIRC It was Polycarbonate. Vandals very soon found out was flammable!