Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Chris Foren .. Chris F

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

I thought of Chris yesterday.  On ER's he used to call all railway and society magazines 'comics' , telling us that 2 comics had arrived so he had to read them.  Living in France the arrival of post from the UKis always welcome. Yesterday 2 comics arrived and I immediately  thought of Chris.

Has anyone got any idea when his funeral is.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 14/12/2022 at 10:18, Phil Bullock said:

Thanks for the heads up Baz

Although I didn’t know Chris personally his thread on Class 116 DMUs on here has to go down as one of the most detailed and informative threads I have used.

I hope a manufacturer announces one soon …. It would be a fitting tribute.

Thinking of all his friends and relatives… a sad time, hope there is some small consolation in knowing how he was perceived in this community.

Rest in peace Chris

Frankly shocked by the sad news.  RIP Chris.

Agree about the class 116 thread, and was more than a little miffed when Bachmann chose the 117 instead of the 116 a few years ago.  There was some mention of Bachmann also doing the 116 but I imagine that was more wishful thinking. I am folllowing Keir Hardy's scribings with a view to a much needed pair of 116s for my own trainset. 

Thanks very much Chris for your valuable contributions to RMweb.  You will be greatly missed.   

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I am the Chairman of the Loco Club of Great Britain Bedford Branch of which Chris Foren was a much valued member.  I have known Chris for over 40 years so it is with great sadness that he is no longer with us.

As a Branch we would very much like to contact any of his relatives or friends to find out funeral arrangements and offer the Branches help if we can.

I can be contacted 07505 096015 or davieb563@gmail.com 

Hoping that someone can shed some light on the current situation. 

Bill Davies 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 88C said:

Thank you all for of your memories of Chris.

To try and bring you up to date. I had a phone call from the coroner’s office just before Christmas to say that they were satisfied about the cause of death and that they and the police are satisfied that the body in the house was indeed Chris.

Currently I am waiting to hear from the registrar re the death certificate. My sister has been contacting local solicitors to try and find out if there is a will.

I am afraid that is all I can say at the moment, at present there are no arrangements for a funeral.

Needless to say I will let you know when I there are any developments.

Brian

Thanks very much for the update Brian.

Jamie

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for being late to this thread.  I admired Chris greatly and endorse everything that's been said about his 116 thread; authoritative and imformative writing that is an excellent resource for all of us, and done as a labour of love.  The amount that I didn't know (and should have!) about Canton 116s in the 70s despite working regularly with them is astounding!  Met him a few times at Small Cardiff show and found him highly approachable, likeable and always ready to help with my sometimes daft questions.  He put me right on several coaching stock matters, notably B-sets at Tondu and late period workman's stock Dean 4-wheelers, information it would have not have been easy for me to obtain as I frankly don't have the wherewithal to run a large reference library. 

I am particularly sorry to hear that there are 'circumstances' surrounding his death and the release of the body; I cannot imagine how terrible this must be for those close to him.  I can only pass on my hopes that all will be resolved speedily. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 88C said:

MAKE A WILL and let people know where it is.

Thank you for the update.  And a timely reminder to all.  

Our affairs - wills, requests and details of our preferred send-offs - are sealed in brown envelopes.  Along with other critical information such as life insurance and pension accounts.  We each know where the other's is.  Both will be readily found by anyone searching the place should we both depart together or one be unable to manage the other's affairs.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2023 at 10:59, 88C said:

Gordon and myself visited the house in order to try and find a will, sadly the house is in such a state that it was impossible to search.

Finally for the sake of your families MAKE A WILL and let people know where it is.

Brian

One very good way to store a Will is with the Probate Office - it costs £20 to do:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/store-a-will-with-the-probate-service/how-to-store-a-will-with-the-probate-service

Any decent Solicitor will know to search this facility.

HTH

Bear

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

4 hours ago, 88C said:

I can now give you details of Chris's funeral. It will take place on Monday 20th February at  11:30.

Bedford Crematorium, 

104 Norse Road, Bedford. MK41 0RL

Anyone is welcome to attend but please note that for our own reasons there will not be a 'do' afterwards.

Brian 

Thanks very much for posting those details Brian.  I will not be able to attend but will be thinking of you all that Monday.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I too must offer my apologies as I will be away.

Yes I believe that's the song you need.

As for the folk music.. well he did like a lot of different bands. Try to find his hessian bag of cds as they would be the most recent music heard live.

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 88C said:

Firstly, can someone confirm the song I'll be the man that he used in his signature is by The Young'uns?

Chris was a regular at Folk by the Oak in the grounds of Hatfield House where he heard the Young’uns in 2018 and I believe in 2021. Chris always filled his CD bag at this event, sadly I cannot remember the groups he mentioned. He often attended The Stables in Milton Keynes. He was also a regular at the Sidmouth Folk Festival.

Alan

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Chris was very partial to Grace Petrie, whom he saw in concert on various occasions and who signed some of her CDs for him.  It was from her website that he bought his "I'm a Scumbag, I'm a Maggot, I Love Diane Abbott" T shirt.  An outspoken lesbian folk protest singer, some of her lyrics might not be considered suitable for a funeral, but I'm sure that Chris wouldn't mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzYf0LitObY

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I too will have to take a rain check, but will be thinking of Chris and the mourners on 20th Feb.  I would echo the suggestion of trying to find the hessian bag - that was where he kept all his recent musical loves.  PM sent with a little more info which might help with the eulogy.

• Thanks 1

Brian, condolences for your loss and thoughts with you as you continue to settle Chris' affairs.

I seem to remember Chris mentioning a folk group called "The Hut People"? And having done a quick search he mentioned seeing them a number of times over the years and rated them highly.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I should be able to make it, depending on train strikes, etc.  How ever, the local transport website will let me know  the time of the next bus but refuses to divulge the timetable from railway station to crem.  Can anyone help?  Bill

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

I should be able to make it, depending on train strikes, etc.  How ever, the local transport website will let me know  the time of the next bus but refuses to divulge the timetable from railway station to crem.  Can anyone help?  Bill

Try bustimes.org.

It looks like the no.5 is due to run every 20 minutes that day?

On 28/01/2023 at 18:45, 88C said:

Firstly, can someone confirm the song I'll be the man that he used in his signature is by The Young'uns? We intend to use that as the final piece of music. Any other suggestion of folk music the may be suitable to use would also be welcome.

Brian

A folk group from Stockton on Tees . . .definitely one of their songs.

Sorry I won't be there, but I hope the day goes as well as it can.

And as has already been said  . .find his hessian bag.

John

8 hours ago, DIW said:

The health warning is that I'm computer incompetent, so double check.  But for those arriving by train, the route would appear to be:

walk sort of easterly to the bus station (about 15 mins)

no 5 bus from Stand I at xx18, xx38, xx58, to Woodside o/s Norse Road Cemy.  Takes about 30 mins.  

Bill