Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Chris Foren .. Chris F

Barry O

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

He was a regular at our Small Cardiff Show, now sadly lapsed and I was astonished to learn that he had travelled from Bedford to see the show when we first met face to face, 2017 (? ). Our paths subsequently crossed many times at various exhibitions, especially SWAG where he was very much part of that delightful event. Always a pleasure to see him.

Chris had an aunt in a care home in Cardiff, and was able to combine a trip to visit her with going to the show - but I really think that his primary reason for the visit was to attend the show, and auntie came slightly behind.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Such sad news about Chris, a good friend and stalwart of RM Web, and Early risers in particular.

I used to enjoY his company and knowledge when he attended the SWAG get togethers and would endure my gentle pee taking in good humour because of the gentleman he was.

I messaged him through FB several days ago, and now sadly know why I hadn’t received a reply.

At least having come out , he was hopefully able to enjoy his last few years as himself.

I shall miss his daily ramblings, his updates on gigs ( his cd collection must be vast) and his regular updates re marching in Pride.

I hope he is at peace.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think a legacy that Chris would want left to us, would be for us blokes to ENSURE we get checked for Prostate Cancer.  

Bless you CF.

Wise words indeed, Phil. Something like 80% of men are likely to have a prostate issue later in life, of which a large % might be cancerous. Prostate cancer has the second highest mortality rate among male cancer sufferers in the USA.

Getting your PSA checked via a simple blood test is really not much of an ordeal. You are looking for a number less than 4. Mine yesterday was 2.9. A Brixham friend, approaching 80, registered 7 the other week, has been told he has a tiny cancer. 

Don't let our late friend's demise be in vain, eh?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Getting your PSA checked via a simple blood test is really not much of an ordeal. You are looking for a number less than 4.

My Consultant Urologist told me that the PSA Test result is just a number. My current PSA Level is 12, but the medication I am taking reduces the PSA Level by half, so my actual PSA is 24. Several Biopsies have produced ambiguous results.

Bottom line is, get checked regularly.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pannier Tank said:

My Consultant Urologist told me that the PSA Test result is just a number. My current PSA Level is 12, but the medication I am taking reduces the PSA Level by half, so my actual PSA is 24. Several Biopsies have produced ambiguous results.

Bottom line is, get checked regularly.

For a moment there I thought we were on for the "4 Yorkshiremen on PSA numbers" sketch - I'm sure Chris would have found it funny!

Edited by Not Jeremy
tense
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I am able to pronounce when required, as when someone asks "...what have you ever done with you life pal (?)", that I am Mallard60022, BA and  BPE. That usually shuts them up, but if not, I would go into CF mode and enlighten them as to the 'reward' a BPE is. That definitely shuts them up and they often suddenly need to make an urgent phone call, or they have seen someone they must speak to.

Sound tactics adopted from the master of explaining details.

Phil: BA and BPE. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Ive been having trouble with the waterworks recently and been pestered by swmbo and Mum to get it checked. I was at my GP’s last year regarding another matter and he said ‘anything else’ so I reluctantly said yes and did an examination right there. Enlarged prostate, nothing else. To tell the truth it was Chris’s situation with ‘Professor Oncologist’ which he kept ERs abreast off as much as the pestering from swmbo and Mum that made me blurt out ‘Yes’. Thanks Chris 

ps Sat in a cold car park thinking where’s the nearest wc!

Edited by Erichill16
Add ps
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

I am deeply saddened to hear of Chris' passing. 

At shows, we would share a couple of 'political funnies' during our conversations. Chris had a real passion for all things GWR coaching stock, and was always willing to help/assist with research projects, or general questions. He would share quite regularly with me, little golden snippets of information to do with my Horrabridge project. A real loss to both the forum and wider model railway world. 

RIP old chap. Enjoy a pint and a ride on a 57ft Collett up there. 

Nick. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Chris liked folk music and followed it in a wide sense from traditional to modern, so in the words of Richard Thompson 

We're gonna meet on the ledge
When my time is up I'm gonna see all my friends

Meanwhile Chris, until we meet at the great model railway show in the sky, I nicked a picture from your Twitter profile as a memento

696267813_Rainbowboots.jpeg.d1a233c9798914d78f736f24af2e5f6c.jpeg

Eric

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Such sad news about Chris, a good friend and stalwart of RM Web, and Early risers in particular.

I used to enjoY his company and knowledge when he attended the SWAG get togethers and would endure my gentle pee taking in good humour because of the gentleman he was.

I messaged him through FB several days ago, and now sadly know why I hadn’t received a reply.

At least having come out , he was hopefully able to enjoy his last few years as himself.

I shall miss his daily ramblings, his updates on gigs ( his cd collection must be vast) and his regular updates re marching in Pride.

I hope he is at peace.

Spot on Neil. Very well worded. 

Rob. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This topic, created in memory of another much-missed member of this community, has been very quiet of late. 

It has probably dropped off the site radar but remains open for any and all to share, discuss and offer support for any matter connected with thus dreadful disease. 

Recent posts here suggest it might be aporopriate to bump the topic. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I don’t wish to intrude on anyone’s private sadness, and this may be too early to ask, but do we know if and where and when a funeral or any other form of commemoration for Chris might be held please?

Edited by Not Jeremy
Punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

I don’t wish to intrude on anyone’s private sadness, and this may be too early to ask, but do we know if and where and when a funeral or any other form of commemoration for Chris might be held please?

I believe  that @88C will probably be able to let us know when he knows. Chris was his cousin.

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Only just caught up with this, really very sad news. Chris and I would always have a chat when I was demonstrating at shows, sometimes about trains, but more often about folk music. His old school charm and humour was a delight.

Our hobby is built around the wonderful cast of characters that inhabit it and we have just lost another.

RIP Chris

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Completely missed this very sad news. Another knowledgeable stalwart gone to the great railway exhibition in the sky. 

Always took time to stop and chat, saw him many times over the years when we were out and about with various layouts. I think the last time I saw him was at RMweb members day in Taunton. 

Condolences to those family and friends he leaves behind. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

the thread he started on RMweb about Class116 units - yes he did diesels too - will be a fitting memorial not only to the depth of his knowledge and original research but also his ability to explain in a way we could all understand.

Thanks for the heads up on that, a fitting memorial as you say.