The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Unwanted things about Xmas.

rockershovel

I've just had one of those infuriating Xmas signposts - my good wife asking me to "pick up some Royal Icing Sugar". The one thing I know about this stuff is that no-one ever has it in stock. Well, I found some on Amazon...

Who else has frustrating or otherwise unwanted Xmas traditions of this sort? 

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

People who assume you are working.

A timely reminer that I should get my big wooden spoon out next Saturday afternoon.😃

Wishing you a Merry Christmas Andy and a big thankyou for all that you have done to keep the forum going over the past year.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 33C said:

I love it all! All my family moan about it but, they're all here for it.......eat that mince pie! And another one! 🤪🎅

The season of goodwill to all (grumpy old) men, and all that. :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The season of goodwill to all (grumpy old) men, and all that. :)

Damn straight! (especially when you leave, not too subtle, hints about the place, concerning gift ideas!) Merry Christmas to all! 

Edited by 33C
Missing letter.
  • Like 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

eat that mince pie! And another one! 🤪

Mince pies are not just for Christmas; but at least you can get brandy cream to drop a dollop of onto them  at this time of year. 🤩

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I hate sprouts, mince pies and Christmas pudding.

I never like poultry when I was a meat eater (Usually had pork loin), so not much in typical Christmas lunch for me!

Missus has often had duck at Christmas but this year she wants Chicken.

Got some tatties for roasting though.👍🏻

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Mince pies are not just for Christmas; but at least you can get brandy cream to drop a dollop of onto them  at this time of year. 🤩

Typical remark of a ready to plonk creamer - ever heard of mixing - take some cream add some brandy and hey presto brandy cream.

People really want their creams given to them on a plate these days, in my day we had to mix to get the exact cream we wanted.

But today with people like Accuracream offering all variations in one batch people are just getting lazy.  😀

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

Just now, melmerby said:

I hate sprouts, mince pies and Christmas pudding.

I never like poultry when I was a meat eater (Usually had pork loin), so not much in typical Christmas lunch for me!

Missus has often had duck at Christmas but this year she wants Chicken.

Got some tatties for roasting though.👍🏻

Have you tried modern sprouts, just boiled or steamed so they have just lost some stiffness?

Farmers have spent years growing the bitterness out, they're not like the old days.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Typical remark of a ready to plonk creamer - ever heard of mixing - take some cream add some brandy and hey presto brandy cream.

Likewise Rum Butter: Butter, sugar, Rum, - Mix. Done.

• Round of applause 2

• Moderators
Just now, woodenhead said:

people are just getting lazy.  😀

Yup! I'm waiting to get the next tubs until they do them with the best before date I want.

• Funny 8

15 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Sprouts.

If you mention the S word, evangelists will pop up saying that they're really quite nice nowadays.  Next they'll be pushing Marmite and salted caramel...

Apart from that, I'd like to nominate Celebrity Christmas televison programmes.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

People really want their creams given to them on a plate these days, in my day we had to mix to get the exact cream we wanted.

But today with people like Accuracream offering all variations in one batch people are just getting lazy.  😀

We used t' 'ave t' lick t' cream off t' asphalt.

Mike.

• Funny 6