The best currently available dcc controller

Hobb0

6 minutes ago, halsey said:

I like the gauge master prodigy 2 BUT is there a DCC system (knob based) that allows control of two locos without switching anything - ie with 2 knobs??

Handheld - Digitrax DT series throttles, two speed knobs.   

Desk based -  ESU ECoS

Just about any system which allows use of a smartphone as a throttle - either directly with maker equipment, or indirectly via a connection from JMRI software.   The touch screens can usually be configured with multiple throttles on screen. 

Multiple handsets on most systems, one handset for one loco, other handset for second loco.  

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Handheld - Digitrax DT series throttles, two speed knobs.   

Desk based -  ESU ECoS

Just about any system which allows use of a smartphone as a throttle - either directly with maker equipment, or indirectly via a connection from JMRI software.   The touch screens can usually be configured with multiple throttles on screen. 

Multiple handsets on most systems, one handset for one loco, other handset for second loco.  

I'm of an age where anything that isn't based on a dedicated unit with 2 knobs isn't going to do it for me

Phone/laptop based control isn't for me 

Thanks anyway though I will investigate DT

The Coastal Unit on a previous thread is way out of my budget

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Digitrax DT602.

Two throttle knobs at the top, above the screen.

Available in tethered (connected with a cable), or wireless (no cable) versions.

Does it work with a Z21 (Loconet)?

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

It's also expensive for what you get.

At RRP I totally agree. I've got one bought in around 2009 for just over £100. I was able to update the firmware to the current version. At that price it's a useful bit of kit for testing/operating DCC fitted models.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

It ought to.   Roco list the earlier DT400/402 series as working with the Z21, and there's not much difference in what comes out the back of a DT602.  

Another useful combination to use with a Z21

Pity no-one has it in stock!

10 hours ago, andyman7 said:

The Hornby Elite has 2 knobs....

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

It's also expensive for what you get.

Although still listed by Hornby, it hasn't been generally available for at least 2 years.

The odd one or two might be gathering dust on a retailers shelf somewhere though.

20 hours ago, halsey said:

I like the gauge master prodigy 2 BUT is there a DCC system (knob based) that allows control of two locos without switching anything - ie with 2 knobs??

Sorry if this has been covered just found this thread as the prodigy 2 is once again frustrating me but only really for this specific reason.

There are the older Flesichmann Twin-Centres (& Uhlenbrook equivelent), ESU ECoS (current but in short supply) or you could look at the Roco Z21 & use a couple of Multimice.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Although still listed by Hornby, it hasn't been generally available for at least 2 years.

The odd one or two might be gathering dust on a retailers shelf somewhere though.

Most of the majors have at least one in stock, no doubt the smaller places might also.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chiefpenguin said:

There are the older Flesichmann Twin-Centres (& Uhlenbrook equivelent), ESU ECoS (current but in short supply) or you could look at the Roco Z21 & use a couple of Multimice.

There is an up to date Uhlenbrock device, the Intellibox2 neo, which has a lot to be said for it (available from DCC Train Automation).  I have had the previous version (Intellibox2) since 2010 and it has proved completely reliable.  Intelliboxes are expensive (made in Germany) but a bit cheaper than the ECoS.  It has an extensive specification and might be more sophisticated than you need, but it is worth a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Most of the majors have at least one in stock, no doubt the smaller places might also.

Hornby - out of stock (has been for a long time)

Rails of Sheffield - on order (again, has been like this for ages)

Hattons - also was out of stock.

Kernow - out of stock

Gaugemaster - 1 in stock (dubious?)

Cheltenham MC - allows you to order, but no stock levels given (I would phone to confirm if they have one)

TMC - lists 1 in stock

Digitrains - out of stock

Jadlam - allows you to order, but also says pre-order, expecting deliveries in Feb 2020 !!!

With Hornby being out of stock for a very long time (at least 2 years or more) only a limited amount of old unsold stock will be left at any retailers.

3 hours ago, TWG said:

There is an up to date Uhlenbrock device, the Intellibox2 neo, which has a lot to be said for it (available from DCC Train Automation).  I have had the previous version (Intellibox2) since 2010 and it has proved completely reliable.  Intelliboxes are expensive (made in Germany) but a bit cheaper than the ECoS.  It has an extensive specification and might be more sophisticated than you need, but it is worth a look.

I considered the current Uhlenbrock IB when I was having issues with my Z21 (now resolved). If I could find an earlier/FLM one at the right price I'd buy it. (I made the mistake of selling the one I had).

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

With Hornby being out of stock for a very long time (at least 2 years or more) only a limited amount of old unsold stock will be left at any retailers.

I looked up quite a few

On their own sites Cheltenham, Gaugemaster, and Jadlam all appeared to have stock (supposedly) although I've just found Jadlam's pre-order status when you scroll the page.

However they all have Amazon shopfronts with realtime stock levels and all showing stock.  Cheltenham (4), Gaugemaster (1) and Jadlam (3) as well as Peter's spares (2)

14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I looked up quite a few

On their own sites Cheltenham, Gaugemaster, and Jadlam all appeared to have stock (supposedly) although I've just found Jadlam's pre-order status when you scroll the page.

However they all have Amazon shopfronts with realtime stock levels and all showing stock.  Cheltenham (4), Gaugemaster (1) and Jadlam (3) as well as Peter's spares (2)

Good work Keith.

I assume there may be a few others scattered around the smaller shops, but when you add it up, there’s hardly any stock available (a dozen , two dozen?) and it’s almost certainly all old, leftover stock.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I looked up quite a few

Peter's Spares definitely have two in stock.

3 hours ago, chiefpenguin said:

I considered the current Uhlenbrock IB when I was having issues with my Z21 (now resolved). If I could find an earlier/FLM one at the right price I'd buy it. (I made the mistake of selling the one I had).

If any reader finds themselves considering a Fleischmann Twin-Center (basically an IB), I'd suggest making sure it has V2.0 software already installed as Fleischmann's website no longer generates the code for upgrade even if you buy the CD with serial number. V2.0 allows access to very high numbers of functions and using the unit as a Loconet slave throttle, plus other nice features such as detecting the address of a loco newly put on the layout. 

If you do find one, it can be a decent bit of kit for not a large spend secondhand. There's PC interface (you'll need a USB-serial adapter, they're cheap enough), Loconet T & B, s88, plus a blanked off DIN socket that I don't know the purpose of!  On one of my two the "3" button is getting a bit unreliable, I must investigate it.  These days a DR5000 is my main command station, but it's reassuring to have backup. I had an automated layout running with a laptop hooked up to a Twin-Center.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Hornby - out of stock (has been for a long time)

Rails of Sheffield - on order (again, has been like this for ages)

Hattons - also was out of stock.

Kernow - out of stock

Gaugemaster - 1 in stock (dubious?)

Cheltenham MC - allows you to order, but no stock levels given (I would phone to confirm if they have one)

TMC - lists 1 in stock

Digitrains - out of stock

Jadlam - allows you to order, but also says pre-order, expecting deliveries in Feb 2020 !!!

With Hornby being out of stock for a very long time (at least 2 years or more) only a limited amount of old unsold stock will be left at any retailers..

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

I looked up quite a few

2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Good work Keith.

I assume there may be a few others scattered around the smaller shops, but when you add it up, there’s hardly any stock available (a dozen , two dozen?) and it’s almost certainly all old, leftover stock..

When I look I can order from Rails too. I'm sure these were out of stock a while back so I don't think the stock is ancient. There also seems to be a spec change dated 2018 with the Xpressnet ports reduced from 2 to 1. So I'm not sure it's quite so long since at least some deliveries. I suspect that supplies are interrupted due to a combination of the components used and the far east manufacture.

I'd definitely look for a secondhand unit if I wanted to buy another. For what its worth I've found the Elite to be OK for what I want which is a functional DCC controller that's a step up from the basic but still plug and play. Yes, the Hornby casing lacks the heft and quality of better brands but the twin controller set up and ability to upgrade the firmware mean that 15 years after purchase it still does the job. In comparison my Bachmann Dynamis is restricted to 20 functions which these days doesn't cut it. 

46 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

When I look I can order from Rails too. I'm sure these were out of stock a while back so I don't think the stock is ancient.

That status on Rail's web site has changed this very evening.

Previously you could place an order, but it said "On Order" alongside.

Now their system is saying 6 in stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2023 at 19:22, Nigelcliffe said:

OK, difference of experience around TCS.  The full-feature WiThrottle server in JMRI also runs on small devices, such as Raspberry PIs.   The problem is the minimum-feature WiThrottle servers which some other DCC system makers sell.        

I too like the Daisy 2.   It does have its own slight annoyances, such as grouping functions in eights (rather than tens), stopping at F24 for the icon presentation of functions, and being Uhlenbrock there are subtle differences to Digitrax loconet (the way status editing works for speed steps, the way programming commands work, etc. which means some features don't work when used on non-Uhlenbrock systems.).    And my experience with Uhlenbrock tech support hasn't been great, which is a shame as its a nice device.  

Another vote for the Daisy 2.  I only use functions F0 - F8 remapping the ones that will actually use so that we only need one page - the wireless option works, it uses 868MHz and it has worked well at big shows.   My exhibition layouts have Digitrax DCS240 command stations and I do have a DT402 just in case for programming or status editing at shows but it doesn’t get used very often.  The Daisy is easy and comfortable to use in one hand, 

• Like 1