The best currently available dcc controller

Hobb0

11 minutes ago, bandmbill said:

Another vote for the Daisy 2.  I only use functions F0 - F8 remapping the ones that will actually use so that we only need one page - the wireless option works, it uses 868MHz and it has worked well at big shows.   My exhibition layouts have Digitrax DCS240 command stations and I do have a DT402 just in case for programming or status editing at shows but it doesn’t get used very often.  The Daisy is easy and comfortable to use in one hand, 

Did I see you using a DT602 on Saturday also?

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2024 at 14:33, Ron Ron Ron said:

Digitrax DT602.

Two throttle knobs at the top, above the screen.

Available in tethered (connected with a cable), or wireless (no cable) versions.

3a_8d622dcf-9c33-418b-93b7-ca8edc9b1eb4_maxresdefault.jpg

Accepting that this handset is exactly what I want (thanks) - what is the cheapest way in terms of additional bits needed to "make this work" wirelessly 

I really don't need 90% of its capability just the ability to store 6 locos and operate 2 at a time is all I need after that the simplicity of set up and programming comes very high on the list as I am not an IT expert.

I don't want to be altering my layout connections so can I assume that the wires which go to my GM unit (enough about that) will simply transfer to the connections on this one

Thanks

I don't think that the DT602 can be easily interfaced to a Gaugemaster command station because it uses Loconet which Gaugemaster doesn't support (AFAIK). you would need to buy a Loconet gateway that works with your command station, then connect a UR92 and finally the DT602 into the UR92.

A UR92 is around £130 and a DT602 around £170 or £300 for the Loconet parts, and you still have to find a gateway - possibly another £50-£100. Your aversion to technical solutions may also preclude this option.

I suggest that you would be better spending the money on a command station that has a Loconet connection of which there are many around. You should get one for around £200-£250 however you still need to add on £300 for the DT602+UR92 - how much do you want to spend?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, WIMorrison said:

I don't think that the DT602 can be easily interfaced to a Gaugemaster command station because it uses Loconet which Gaugemaster doesn't support (AFAIK). you would need to buy a Loconet gateway that works with your command station, then connect a UR92 and finally the DT602 into the UR92.

A UR92 is around £130 and a DT602 around £170 or £300 for the Loconet parts, and you still have to find a gateway - possibly another £50-£100. Your aversion to technical solutions may also preclude this option.

I suggest that you would be better spending the money on a command station that has a Loconet connection of which there are many around. You should get one for around £200-£250 however you still need to add on £300 for the DT602+UR92 - how much do you want to spend?

Spend? - as little as possible but as much as I need to hit my minimum requirement - 2 loco at a time wireless handheld control - £500 is Ok as my current stuff should realise £250

Your well intentioned reply identifies my problem in that I want a "plug and play" solution I don't want or need to understand it or to store 9000 locos - I have enough problems programming a DCC chip!

Apologies - I didn't think the GM unit would be part of this perhaps that wasn't clear.

There is a much better knowledge base here than hours on google will achieve - very happy for a direct suggestion e.g "buy DT602 plus ..............."

Then I'm sure the problem will be who has current stock?

Thanks

The Digitrax Evolution DCC system, which includes the DT602 handset, costs around £425 for the tethered version and around £600 for the wireless version.

Note to Iain. He’s ditching the Gaugemaster system, not planning to add to it.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, halsey said:

Spend? - as little as possible but as much as I need to hit my minimum requirement - 2 loco at a time wireless handheld control - £500 is Ok as my current stuff should realise £250

Your well intentioned reply identifies my problem in that I want a "plug and play" solution I don't want or need to understand it or to store 9000 locos - I have enough problems programming a DCC chip!

Apologies - I didn't think the GM unit would be part of this perhaps that wasn't clear.

There is a much better knowledge base here than hours on google will achieve - very happy for a direct suggestion e.g "buy DT602 plus ..............."

I think you'll blow your budget.   

Doing it with "bits and pieces" - a wireless DT602 is the DT602DE, which is around £250/260.   To that add a UR93 at £170.  And then add a LocoNet compatible command station, cheapest option there might be a Digitrax Zephyr at £230.   I think that lot comes to £650.  

Or as a "complete package" - the wireless "Evox" system from Digitrax, which is a DT602DE, UR93 and a command station box is about £620.  

There are other ways, but it would require two handsets, and commercial wireless systems are never going to be cheap.  

I strongly recommend getting a demonstration of a system before parting with that amount of money,  being sure the control works for your way of driving things. 

- Nigel

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for your input - spend is getting too high so I'm going to rethink my needs - my railway is only a winter hobby so it can wait..............

Thanks again.

J

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, halsey said:

Thanks to all for your input - spend is getting too high so I'm going to rethink my needs - my railway is only a winter hobby so it can wait..............

Thanks again.

J

Instead of a single handset with two knobs, what about two handsets each with a single knob?

That might be a cheaper solution, with more options for handsets and command centres.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Instead of a single handset with two knobs, what about two handsets each with a single knob?

That might be a cheaper solution, with more options for handsets and command centres.

… or a handset that makes it easier to quickly switch between locos.

Not all handsets are created equal !

• Like 1

On 26/02/2024 at 14:33, Ron Ron Ron said:

Digitrax DT602.

Two throttle knobs at the top, above the screen.

Available in tethered (connected with a cable), or wireless (no cable) versions.

3a_8d622dcf-9c33-418b-93b7-ca8edc9b1eb4_maxresdefault.jpg

Is it me, or does this configured to resemble the fairer sex!

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone looked at Signatrak?  Available from GLR Services  The latest model is the  ACE-3

It consists of a touchscreen base unit from which you can control everything, or  you can allocate a loco to each of up-to FOUR handsets (one is supplied with the set)  The Handset consists of a large speed knob and a direction switch, plus buttons for five functions. Oh, and a large red Emergency-Stop button...

Best of both worlds.  We've got one in our club, and its excellent.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

I am late to this subject but I have a digikeijs DR5000, I know the company is no longer around but a new company is taking over. The system cost just less than £200 plus a second hand laptop at about £80. I think the system is wonderful you can display all your locos on a large screen and control is just the pull of a bar graph, then there is the interface to the Z21 and I think itrains. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

… or a handset that makes it easier to quickly switch between locos.

Not all handsets are created equal !

.................such as??

I have been busy and got to a point by relocating my base controller and buying a (.75m-2.5m) stretchy coiled Ethernet cable where wireless isn't needed 

Your "faster/easier switching between locos" point is well made as that is the (only) remaining issue for me with the GM handset

Edited by halsey

17 minutes ago, halsey said:

.................such as??

I have been busy and got to a point by relocating my base controller and buying a (.75m-2.5m) stretchy coiled Ethernet cable where wireless isn't needed 

Your "faster/easier switching between locos" point is well made as that is the (only) remaining issue for me with the GM handset

Look at how different systems implement "recall" stacks.    Many offer this,  some implement the recall feature much better than others.   Some offer control of stack-size, others have a fixed stack-size.   

Some users find a stack of 2 is ideal, others prefer slightly larger stacks of 4 or 6,  depends on your operating requirements.  

All of this comes down to writing down your key requirements, and visiting a decent DCC dealer for a demonstration of different systems.  What you "require" might be possible for a couple of hundred pounds, or it might be best part of a thousand.  But knowing what you're trading off for those requirements will help the decisions.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Did I see you using a DT602 on Saturday also?

No - haven’t got a DT602 - only had a bunch of Daisys…..

I have used a DT602 a few times - they are more friendly to new users than the DT400/500 series - are the buttons able to be set to latched or momentary?

9 minutes ago, bandmbill said:

No - haven’t got a DT602 - only had a bunch of Daisys…..

I have used a DT602 a few times - they are more friendly to new users than the DT400/500 series - are the buttons able to be set to latched or momentary?

DT602 is usual US/Digitrax fixed button behaviour.   Probably the most disappointing feature of an otherwise pretty good upgrade on the earlier DT400/500 types.  

As far as I know, the only US designed controller with control over button latching are the new TCS handsets - they pull their latching behaviour from the central system's database of locos.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ColinB said:

I am late to this subject but I have a digikeijs DR5000, I know the company is no longer around but a new company is taking over. The system cost just less than £200 plus a second hand laptop at about £80. I think the system is wonderful you can display all your locos on a large screen and control is just the pull of a bar graph, then there is the interface to the Z21 and I think itrains. 

A new company hasn't taken over. Digikeijs went bust.

The originally Digikeijs stuff was designed by Karst Drenth and much needed updating, Including the DR5000.

He left a few years ago and has set up his own Company "Yamorc" selling a newly designed system that can replace the Digikeijs stuff using more up to date components and added facilites.

There is even a replacement module that brings the DR5000 up to date with better facilities

BTW your post doesn't address the OP requirement for physical controls.

Edited by melmerby

I haven't seen ESU mentioned in this thread, though I might have missed it. 

I'm very much satisfied with my ESU Cab Control. I upgraded from an NCE Powercab and glad I did. Night and day difference for the better.

The only thing I don't like is not being able to order the locomotives to my liking. I couldn't do that with Powercab either, but I could only store six locomotives at a time with that unit. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, MichaelE said:

I don't like is not being able to order the locomotives to my liking.

Same problem with a Roco Maus (AFAIK*) I have to scroll through a jumble of numbers and names without knowing whether to go forwards or backwards.

* or I haven't found the way yet!

Edited by melmerby

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

A new company hasn't taken over. Digikeijs went bust.

The originally Digikeijs stuff was designed by Karst Drenth and much needed updating, Including the DR5000.

He left a few years ago and has set up his own Company "Yamorc" selling a newly designed system that can replace the Digikeijs stuff using more up to date components and added facilites.

There is even a replacement module that brings the DR5000 up to date with better facilities

BTW your post doesn't address the OP requirement for physical controls.

I know I have one on order. For £120 you can buy a Roco Z21 hand held controller that has a rotary controller. Actually reading his write up he licensed it to Digikeijs he didn't work for them. As to a new company taking over so if "Yamorc" is designing a new system isn't that the same which is what I was implying. I expected people to do a bit more research like I did when I was looking for a decent system. To be quite honest I would wait a little while for the availability of microprocessors becoming easier so that manufacturers can update their products.