The best currently available dcc controller

Hobb0

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Same problem with a Roco Maus (AFAIK*) I have to scroll through a jumble of numbers and names without knowing whether to go forwards or backwards.

* or I haven't found the way yet!

Just punch in the loco number you want to control rather than bothering with the names - much easier, and you can use the left/right keys to go up/down the numbering, though if the numbers are far apart it is quicker to type the number in again.

23 minutes ago, ColinB said:

As to a new company taking over so if "Yamorc" is designing a new system isn't that the same which is what I was implying

YAMORC are not 'taking over' anything from Digikeijs which is what you stated and implied.

YAMORC is a completely different company that has no liability or interest in the Digikeijs products. The designs for all of the YAMORC product lines are all completely new with no dependence or reliance on the Digikeijs products.

10 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

YAMORC are not 'taking over' anything from Digikeijs which is what you stated and implied.

YAMORC is a completely different company that has no liability or interest in the Digikeijs products. The designs for all of the YAMORC product lines are all completely new with no dependence or reliance on the Digikeijs products.

So lets get this straight, you are telling me that the YAMORC YD9401 will work on its own without plugging in to a DigiKeijs. We all know they don't any liability for a company that has gone bankrupt, so what are trying to prove?

2 hours ago, MichaelE said:

The only thing I don't like is not being able to order the locomotives to my liking.

That's easy using the Z21 app on an Android or iPhone.

But the lack of buttons would be an issue for the OP.

John P

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Just punch in the loco number you want to control rather than bothering with the names - much easier, and you can use the left/right keys to go up/down the numbering, though if the numbers are far apart it is quicker to type the number in again.

Thanks Iain

That's what I hoped

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, ColinB said:

So lets get this straight, you are telling me that the YAMORC YD9401 will work on its own without plugging in to a DigiKeijs. We all know they don't any liability for a company that has gone bankrupt, so what are trying to prove?

The YD9401 is a module to update the DR5000 to a better spec and overcome some flaws, it is AFAIK also used in the new Yamorc command station.

Yamorc guarantee the YD9401 but not the DR5000 it is put in.

Your initial statement that "Yamorc had taken over" is ambiguous and can be read as the bankrupt company being re-activated as a new concern.

Apart from buying some unpaid for motherboards that Digikeijs had ordered from their suppliers, to make the stop-gap hybrid YD7000E Yamorc have no interest in Digikeijs.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DLT said:

Has anyone looked at Signatrak?  Available from GLR Services  The latest model is the  ACE-3

It consists of a touchscreen base unit from which you can control everything, or  you can allocate a loco to each of up-to FOUR handsets (one is supplied with the set)  The Handset consists of a large speed knob and a direction switch, plus buttons for five functions. Oh, and a large red Emergency-Stop button...

Best of both worlds.  We've got one in our club, and its excellent.

Cheers, Dave.

More on the Signatrak ACE-3 on RMweb Here

HIGHLY recommended!

• Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The YD9401 is a module to update the DR5000 to a better spec and overcome some flaws, it is AFAIK also used in the new Yamorc command station.

Yamorc guarantee the YD9401 but not the DR5000 it is put in.

Your initial statement that "Yamorc had taken over" is ambiguous and can be read as the bankrupt company being re-activated as a new concern.

Apart from buying some unpaid for motherboards that Digikeijs had ordered from their suppliers, to make the stop-gap hybrid YD7000E Yamorc have no interest in Digikeijs.

As I said at the end of my post the whole electronics industry is in flux because of the shortage of microprocessors, none of us know where Yamorc are going. I imagine the module they developed to slot into the Digikeijs is a short term fix, long term they will make their own hardware to replace it otherwise why would they bother. Perhaps you do know where they going, then enlighten us. For the moment I imagine there are second hand Digikeijs units out there that are very capable units and when the Yamorc module becomes available even better.

6 hours ago, DLT said:

Has anyone looked at Signatrak?  Available from GLR Services  The latest model is the  ACE-3

It consists of a touchscreen base unit from which you can control everything, or  you can allocate a loco to each of up-to FOUR handsets (one is supplied with the set)  The Handset consists of a large speed knob and a direction switch, plus buttons for five functions. Oh, and a large red Emergency-Stop button...

Best of both worlds.  We've got one in our club, and its excellent.

Cheers, Dave.

Love the Signa-Trak, been an ACE-2 user since 2019 but just got an ACE-3 with some new features.

1.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, ColinB said:

As I said at the end of my post the whole electronics industry is in flux because of the shortage of microprocessors, none of us know where Yamorc are going. I imagine the module they developed to slot into the Digikeijs is a short term fix, long term they will make their own hardware to replace it otherwise why would they bother. Perhaps you do know where they going, then enlighten us. For the moment I imagine there are second hand Digikeijs units out there that are very capable units and when the Yamorc module becomes available even better.

If you read on their website you can see where they are going.

They have their own Command Station which will, when the components are available, replace the hybrid YD7001E, which as i said is a short term stop gap only.

They will only produce a set number of YD7001E, limited by the quantity of motherboards they were able to buy. After that no more will be produced. It is an innovative way to supply a command station when hobbled by parts  shortages.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Love the Signa-Trak, been an ACE-2 user since 2019 but just got an ACE-3 with some new features.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Where's the control knobs?😄

• Funny 1

16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

If you read on their website you can see where they are going.

They have their own Command Station which will, when the components are available, replace the hybrid YD7001E, which as i said is a short term stop gap only.

They will only produce a set number of YD7001E, limited by the quantity of motherboards they were able to buy. After that no more will be produced. It is an innovative way to supply a command station when hobbled by parts  shortages.

So they are replacing it which it is what I initially implied so why are you arguing, whether it is a Digikeijs platform or something different it will be a similar interface. As I have said so many times, the parts shortage for the moment is not going away try buying Zimo or Tran o Matic decoders, the YD7001E is also in short supply. What ever the new design is it will be limited by component supply for the foreseeable future.  Even Hornby are having issues sourcing their non sound HM7000 decoders.

Anyway if you want a simple DCC controller the Fleishmann twin track, although no longer made by Fleishmann is an excellent controller, another German firm took over the design last time I looked and resold it. On EBay they go for £120 about. I had one before I upgraded to the Digikeijs, it has true twin controllers so you can control two trains at once.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, WIMorrison said:

Just one knob and that is with a cord which means it doesn't really meet the original requirement for two knobs  or mobility either 🤣

You can attach up to 4 knobs apparently.

• RMweb Premium

For me Z21 is the best system currently on the market. We using it since several years on our 0-gauge club layout, and this week I introduce it also for the 00 club layout. Who wants can still use a wired controller, even with a knob (Roco multimouse or Lenz LH100), with all the disadvantages of the old (NCE) system. And who wants can use their own smart phone or tablet. We will have a club database, so everybody can add his locos at home and then we copy them together onto the club database. Works a treat.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ColinB said:

So they are replacing it which it is what I initially implied so why are you arguing, whether it is a Digikeijs platform or something different it will be a similar interface.

The YD9401 module is AFAIK the same as in their own command station, which however is not currently in production due to component shortages (partly due to one going EOL post Covid and a re-design needed)

They could however make a command station using a quantity of surplus DR5000 motherboards + YD9401 (and some other tweaks) as a stop gap whilst their own is currently unavailable.

Yes the new system will be similar in capability as a DR5000 but using later designed semiconductors and some other enhancements.

The DR5000 at the end of Digikeijs was out of date and needed a "Mk2" version but that wasn't going to happen because they didn't have anybody to design it.

It was very imperfect when launched with a host of problems and missing features, which the flurry of firmware updates tried to alleviate, not always successfully.

(I was regretfully one of the early adopters that had to put up with something that was not doing as advertised for sometime)

There were still some issues with the DR5000, that I and others on RMWeb found, which made it less than perfect, causing us to upgrade to other better command stations (usually Z21)

The YD9401 is actually an ESP32 at its core which when assembled with other components onto a custom board it fits into the DR5000 as an enhancement to the original Digikeijs product, providing some of the benefits to the DR5000 that will be available in the YAMORC command station.

Having been at a Bachmann traders workshop earlier this week, can I recommend the forthcoming Bachmann Kinesis system.

Due out in about 3 months time, and with an RRP of £399, which many retailers will discount.

An initial appraisal is available at https://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2023/11/Bachmann-kinesis-model-railway-control-redefined/ and further detailed information will be made available as release time approaches.

Having played with the Kinesis last year they will need to have made a huge number of changes to make into a useable system - it felt like a 1980 remote controller for a video recorder in my hand and the buttons were just as confusing. Unfortunately I was not alone in my view of the product which was not seen to be the in slightest 'ground breaking', or revolutionary.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Having played with the Kinesis last year they will need to have made a huge number of changes to make into a useable system - it felt like a 1980 remote controller for a video recorder in my hand and the buttons were just as confusing. Unfortunately I was not alone in my view of the product which was not seen to be the in slightest 'ground breaking', or revolutionary.

A paltry 2 amp track output, with no advanced features like RailCom or RailCom Plus.

Limited, tiny, dated handset display. 
Too many buttons on the handset.

Really needs a PC operating with the included RailController software, to take full advantage of its feature set.

Otherwise, it’s a very good package for the price and by far the cheapest wireless (hardware based) system.

• Like 1