Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

• RMweb Gold

Whinger Spice's comments to MV were telling. Clearly hacked off Perez won and favouring Max. To paraphrase "Don't worry, there's plenty of races left".

• Agree 7

I quite agree another dull race. Foregone conclusion at the front with that Red Bull DRS. The commentary hyped up the bad timing of Verstappens pre safety car pit stop, but we all knew he'd finish second at worst, even if he fell to the back.

Anyone else notice on the nose camera how much the top element of the Red Bull front wing was deflecting? Could be nothing, but I didn't see another from that angle to compare after I noticed. The horrid helmet cam seems to have replaced it.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Whinger Spice's comments to MV were telling. Clearly hacked off Perez won and favouring Max. To paraphrase "Don't worry, there's plenty of races left".

Made more telling by his "Checo got lucky with the safety car" comment to MV after the race?

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Conspiracy theory time....

I wonder what mechanical/electrical/hydraulic/other (delete as appropriate) failure will mysteriously occur on Checo's car in Miami?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I wonder what mechanical/electrical/hydraulic/other (delete as appropriate) failure will mysteriously occur on Checo's car in Miami?

Part of me thinks it would be too obvious, the other wouldn't be at all surprised if something like that did happen.

image.png.dff340faaa8f2f0f872a58613ee136fc.png

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It wouldn't be something so obvious, I'd just expect a subtle lack of acceleration and pace to manifest itself, allowing Mr Bean to draw away in a magisterial manner, and perhaps at least allow the Ferraris to catch and pass him.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

So apart from the marshalls closing the pit lane before the end of the race and filling it with photographers, any else happen this race?

Sounds like it didn't otherwise why would they be orchestrating a calamity in the pits - I did see 7 minutes of edited highlights on YouTube.

• Funny 4

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

And deffo in Monaco. 😉

• Agree 4

Even Toto has said the race was boring!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-must-seek-answers-after-boring-baku-f1-race-says-wolff/10463556/

I love how it quotes a Red Bull driver complaining how it was difficult to overtake. Yes, those with the super duper DRS and finished 1st and 2nd. And no, the quoted driver isn't the Dutch whinger 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

The concept of a sprint race as a self-contained event is marginally better than as a race to establish grid positions, but the whole thing remains flawed.

- For teams unlikely to finish in the top eight it’s a hiding to nothing, an exercise in futility.  Why risk compromising their chance of scoring points in the actual race when they have nothing to gain?

- How are the circuits designated for sprint races decided?  Over a season the tracks provide a mix of challenges, some providing more high speed circuits, others lower speeds where cornering and braking and optimal car balance is favoured, some where DRS provides more advantage than others.  Holding a second sub-race at chosen venues can slew an advantage towards certain constructors - is that fair?

• Agree 4

13 hours ago, PhilH said:

Just when you think this so-called sport cannot get any more boring it does. At least that’s one thing it excels at.

Disagree.  There’s always races within races.  I’ve not always been a fern of Fanando, but I have to admire his race-craft and what an overtake he pulled on Sainz.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I think they should drop the Red Bull team name and just call it Verstappen , seems like he wants everything

done his way all the time .

Team motto:  A Verstappen Can Never Lose!*

* Or the circumstances will be "reviewed"...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 30/04/2023 at 22:35, 57xx said:

Part of me thinks it would be too obvious, the other wouldn't be at all surprised if something like that did happen.

image.png.dff340faaa8f2f0f872a58613ee136fc.png

2 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

That’s some bad hat, Harry.

Its the Tinfoil Pixie!!!

• Funny 1

On 30/04/2023 at 22:18, newbryford said:

Made more telling by his "Checo got lucky with the safety car" comment to MV after the race?

I didn't see the early part of the race, so I need to catch up, but from comments I have read elsewhere, Checo was about to pass Verstappen, so the team pitted him to save their golden boy the embarrassment of being passed on the same strategy?

The last lap pit lane incident was poor. Brake failure & punctures are more likely at the end of a race & these can both cause cars to enter the pit lane while being a little more difficult to handle than usual.

Alpine pitted Ocon late because they were gambling on a safety car. I don't blame them for this but it increases my dislike to allowing pit stops during safety car (or red flag) periods. Safety cars were introduced to make the track safe while having as little impact as possible to the race itself. If the opportunity was not there to make a tactical benefit from a safety car, they would never have chosen to put on soft, fast tyres so late in the race.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

This New sprint format makes no sense to me, or it that *even less* sense than the prior format.

Given the risk to your car in a circuit like this I see no reason why the back third of the grid even bothered to leave the garage. Where's the reward for the car in 20th overtaking ten cars? Nowhere, except you just gave yourselves ten chances of wheel-to-wheel/bodywork damage.

At least when the Sprint decided starting positions for the race it was important to every driver. Now I feel it's just a waste of time and money.

On another tack: is this track too tough on the teams? Given the damage done up and down the field by the unforgiving nature of the walls, shouldn't the FIA look into how much attrition there is at this track, year after year,  in all formula, and decide 'its a waste of money'? I'm not saying Just Race On The Safer tracks, I'm saying that maybe, just maybe, if there are tracks with more than the average number of car-debili rating crashes, year in year, that you realise the track is at fault, and try to fix it? (Monaco excepted, it's been around long enough for every driver on the planet with a PlayStation to know the track backwards)...

Actually, tying the threads together, it seems that as the race went on, the F1 drivers became able to drive the track with a greater degree of safety (on average at least) and so, maybe, on a circuit like this if they'd had the normal Practice sessions maybe quali and the race would have been cleaner? So maybe leave any form of Sprint to the circuits that have large, forgiving, caring even,  run-offs, and let the Tough circuits alone?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

48 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

This New sprint format makes no sense to me, or it that *even less* sense than the prior format.

Given the risk to your car in a circuit like this I see no reason why the back third of the grid even bothered to leave the garage. Where's the reward for the car in 20th overtaking ten cars? Nowhere, except you just gave yourselves ten chances of wheel-to-wheel/bodywork damage.

At least when the Sprint decided starting positions for the race it was important to every driver. Now I feel it's just a waste of time and money.

On another tack: is this track too tough on the teams? Given the damage done up and down the field by the unforgiving nature of the walls, shouldn't the FIA look into how much attrition there is at this track, year after year,  in all formula, and decide 'its a waste of money'? I'm not saying Just Race On The Safer tracks, I'm saying that maybe, just maybe, if there are tracks with more than the average number of car-debili rating crashes, year in year, that you realise the track is at fault, and try to fix it? (Monaco excepted, it's been around long enough for every driver on the planet with a PlayStation to know the track backwards)...

Actually, tying the threads together, it seems that as the race went on, the F1 drivers became able to drive the track with a greater degree of safety (on average at least) and so, maybe, on a circuit like this if they'd had the normal Practice sessions maybe quali and the race would have been cleaner? So maybe leave any form of Sprint to the circuits that have large, forgiving, caring even,  run-offs, and let the Tough circuits alone?

I think the teams are contractually obliged to race, although they might be able to start and retire after a lap.

As for a sensible approach to where the races should be held, on safety or damage cost grounds, I suspect that is of no interest to Liberty in their unending quest for the mighty dollar.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I think the teams are contractually obliged to race, although they might be able to start and retire after a lap.

As for a sensible approach to where the races should be held, on safety or damage cost grounds, I suspect that is of no interest to Liberty in their unending quest for the mighty dollar.

left field, but they can use it as a practice session for the proper race. 17 laps long run simulation etc

• Agree 3