Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

• RMweb Gold

FP2 delayed until further notice.  Can’t see the race happening tomorrow at this rate - the race weekend may end up being cancelled.  

Nice work for lawyers if that happens - possibly already is…

Cheers

Darius

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

Liberty Media/Formula One Mismanagement should pay for Ferrari and Alpine's car damage. They provided an unfit venue in their continued quest to make an even bigger profit  Motor sport and F1 is dangerous enough without their help.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

FP2 delayed until further notice.  Can’t see the race happening tomorrow at this rate - the race weekend may end up being cancelled.  

Nice work for lawyers if that happens - possibly already is…

Cheers

Darius

Rules of Acquisition #1 "Once you have their money, never give it back."

(it’s from Star Trek)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Sainz given a 10 place grid drop for replacing PSU. 

Which seems a tad unfair to Sainz and Ferrari as it was impact damage from the drain cover that necessitated the change of PSU, if the media reports are accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

I don't support Ferrari but I think not only should they get the grid places back but also an increase in their budget for the year to cover the additional costs incurred as a result of the circuit owner (or whomever is responsible) negligence.

Imagine (or rather try not to) if it had lifted right up and someone was following closely behind

Edited by SR71
auto incorrect
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

"At last" the spectators said when it was confirmed FP2 was due to start only to find that half an hour before the new start time the grandstands were closed and they were all cleared out and sent home. You couldn't make this up!

Probably no refunds either because F1 will argue the "safety issue". 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Brilliant. The less satisfaction US fans find with F1, the less it will succeed. Let it come back to Europe where it started. 

While I believe 3 GP in 1 country is overkill, Europe is well represented with GPs.

For something wanting to present itself as a global sport, is it about time there was a race somewhere in Africa?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

is it about time there was a race somewhere in Africa?

The South African Grand Prix was a regular fixture on the F1 calendar from 1962 to 1985, with another two races post-apartheid in 1992 and 1993.  There had been efforts to reinstate South Africa in the F1 calendar, and even a provisional/leaked calendar for 2023 showing South Africa taking Belgium's place, but that initiative eventually fell apart.

Rather more obscure is the Moroccan Grand Prix.   The first Moroccan Grand Prix was run in 1925, but of course there was no F1 in those days, and no drivers or manufacturers championships.  Various other Moroccan Grand Prix took place at a couple of different circuits on and off during the 1930s and 1950s, but the only year it was an official part of the F1 calendar was in 1958, when it was run at the Ain-Diab circuit near Casablanca as the final race of the F1 season.  That race was notable as the one where Mike Hawthorn won the drivers championship by one point from Stirling Moss: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Moroccan_Grand_Prix

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 4630 said:

Which seems a tad unfair to Sainz and Ferrari as it was impact damage from the drain cover that necessitated the change of PSU, if the media reports are accurate. 

What and have the F1 administration admit that something is wrong with 'The Rules'?

• Agree 4

10 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

While I believe 3 GP in 1 country is overkill, Europe is well represented with GPs.

For something wanting to present itself as a global sport, is it about time there was a race somewhere in Africa?

For the amount of money LM want from the host country I doubt there's many African countries that could afford it, South Africa possibly, a quick search says 2024 is off but possible 2025, Lewis wants it to happen so perhaps he'll hang on until it does!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Verstappen: New F1 races shouldn't be substitute for getting "s***faced" in Ibiza.

His monologue from the end of the post-qualifying conference:

"I can go on for a long time, but I feel like of course a kind of show element is important, but I like emotion,” Verstappen said after qualifying when asked for his overall assessment of the Las Vegas weekend so far.

“For me, when I was a little kid it was about the emotion of the sport, what I fell in love with and not the show of the sport around it because I think as a real racer, that shouldn’t really matter.

“First of all a racing car, a Formula 1 car anyway on a street circuit, I think doesn’t really come alive. It’s not that exciting.

“I think it’s more about just proper racetracks. You know, when you go to Spa, Monza, these kind of places, they have a lot of emotion and passion.

“And for me, seeing the fans there is incredible and for us as well, when I jump in the car there, I’m fired up and I love driving around these kinds of places.

“Of course, I understand that fans need maybe something to do as well around the track, but I think it’s more important that you actually make them understand what we do a sport because most of them just come to have a party, drink, see a DJ play or a performance act.

“I can do that all over the world. I can go to Ibiza and get completely sh*tfaced and have a good time.

“But that’s what happens and actually people, they come, and they become a fan of what? They want to see maybe their favourite artist and have a few drinks with their mates and then go out and have a crazy night out.

“But they don’t actually understand what we are doing and what we are putting on the line to perform.

“And I think if you would actually invest more time into the actual sport, what we’re actually trying to achieve here, too, as a little kid, we grew up wanting to be a World Champion.

“If I think the sport would put more focus on to these kinds of things and also explain more what the team is doing throughout the season, what they are achieving, what they’re working for, these kinds of things I find way more important to look at than just having all these random shows all over the place.

“For me, it’s not what I’m very passionate about, and I like passion and emotion with these kinds of places.

“I love Vegas, but not to drive an F1 car. I love to go out, have a few drinks, throw everything on red or whatever, to be a bit crazy and have nice food.

“But like I said, emotion, passion, it’s not there compared to some old school tracks.”

• Round of applause 7