Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

I've just taken a punt and ordered an 8pin chip to have a play with. It will be interesting to see how well or otherwise it works. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kris said:

I've just taken a punt and ordered an 8pin chip to have a play with. It will be interesting to see how well or otherwise it works. 

Kris, Let us know how you get on, and anyone else who gets one or more. I'm particularly interested in the function outputs and how much control you have on the lighting. And if they are suitable for say a Hatton's 66, with all the options you have with the lighting on this loco. There's a big saving on buying an ESU Loksound decoder, compares with the Hornby 21 pin decoder, loaded with the class 66 sounds.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Kris, Let us know how you get on, and anyone else who gets one or more. I'm particularly interested in the function outputs and how much control you have on the lighting. And if they are suitable for say a Hatton's 66, with all the options you have with the lighting on this loco. There's a big saving on buying an ESU Loksound decoder, compares with the Hornby 21 pin decoder, loaded with the class 66 sounds.

I'm looking at dropping one in a 2 bil as an experiment to start (so no lighting in there) but I might well try it in a couple of different locos with lights so we shall see what happens.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

I messaged Simon Kohler back in January about the lighting functions on these. As quoted below is his response. 

'Thank you for your email and yes, the new decoders will be able to fully control the lighting as you have described (Tail lights both end. Day and Night'). I would also point out that the sounds are downloadable free of charge and that the have three sound channels which means that you can have three sound effects running at the same time – ie. Wheel squeal, horns and one other.' 

So fingers cross they will work in the Hattons 66. The only thing I am worrying about is that Hattons didn't use the standard ESU locksound 5 sound chip, but the MKL one. So I don't if that will effect them. I will be buying one myself to found out if they do. If not it will go in a another loco.

Hope that Helps

Chris

• Thanks 1

Im quite keen to try one in an O gauge 08.

Ive got a TTS decoder in it and it cant do all the lighting. Might try the 8 pin one ive got coming using the 8 - 21 pin adapter thats already in there

Pity the class 20 isnt listed as ive got a few of those waiting for decoders.

Im also tempted by a next 18 one to try in an EFE J94 but would ideally want the stay alive as well 

On 11/03/2023 at 10:56, RAF96 said:

There is a 00 TXS fitted Class 08 but it doesn’t say if there is room for the power pack. The TT120 08 is a six pin fit which is non sound.

RAF, what's the R number on this please as I can't seem to find it in the online store.

Edited by Ighten

Mine arrived earlier this morning.

Despite there being a number of QR codes on the box and in the documentation, I don't seem to be able to download the HM DCC app - the QR codes just take me to the HM DC app in the Play Store. There is a QR code for online manuals/documentation so I'll check that out next. Otherwise I'll get on with installing it and give Hornby a call later.

Cheers, Neil.

20230314_110814.jpg.b212d4ad330096add4e83843692ed16d.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You know what I was thinking would have been useful? A mount for the enclosed speaker the same size and shape as the TTS speaker fittings that would give you a simple way to plug into an existing Hornby tender. Maybe the 8pin one includes such.

25 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

Mine arrived earlier this morning.

Despite there being a number of QR codes on the box and in the documentation, I don't seem to be able to download the HM DCC app - the QR codes just take me to the HM DC app in the Play Store. There is a QR code for online manuals/documentation so I'll check that out next. Otherwise I'll get on with installing it and give Hornby a call later.

Cheers, Neil.

20230314_110814.jpg.b212d4ad330096add4e83843692ed16d.jpg

Don't think the apps ready for release yet

9 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Releasing the decoders before the app is ready at least allows us to test the running capabilities, fit, standard DCC compatibility etc whilst we wait for the app.

All well and good until you find you now need to upgrade your phone/tablet because it's incompatible with the app...

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

All well and good until you find you now need to upgrade your phone/tablet because it's incompatible with the app...

True, but I can't imagine the app not working with the majority of handsets made in the last 10 years. You can pick up a refurbished iPhone 5s for 30 quid on eBay. I would expect that to work fine with the app, but only time will tell.

39 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

True, but I can't imagine the app not working with the majority of handsets made in the last 10 years. You can pick up a refurbished iPhone 5s for 30 quid on eBay. I would expect that to work fine with the app, but only time will tell.

I would see the opposite as being the case and say that it is unlikely to work with older phones as they used 32bit operating systems and the apps for that architecture (on Android and iOS) have all been deprecated. All new apps are built for the phones current today and that means 64 bit.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

I would see the opposite as being the case and say that it is unlikely to work with older phones as they used 32bit operating systems and the apps for that architecture (on Android and iOS) have all been deprecated. All new apps are built for the phones current today and that means 64 bit.

Strangely enough, I've just watched a Tom Scott video on this very subject. I think any phone made in the last 10 years or more would work (many applications will work on 32-bit architecture as much as 64-bit).

The video was quite interesting, in that he made the point that you can't name a file CON, (or LPT1 etc) due to the fact these were device file names in version 1.0 of MS-DOS from 1981. Likewise, Excel replicates a bug from Lotus 1-2-3 for backwards compatibility. 

iOS and Android are very different from PC operating systems. 

32 bit support was removed from iOS 11 and since iOS14 you can only run 64 bit. The last version of iOS to run 32 bit applications fully was iOS 10. Android is more forgiving but is due to drop 64 bit completely and currently if you want to put anything new into Google Play store it must be 64 bit.

I am certain that all phone architectures and hardware are now 64 bit.

Edited by WIMorrison
spelling 😒
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

iOS and Android are very different from PC operating systems. 

32 bit support was removed from iOS 11 and since iOS14 you can only run 64 bit. The last version of iOS to run 32 bit applications fully was iOS 10. Android is more forgiving but is due to drop 64 bit completely and currently if you want to put anything new into Google Play store it must be 64 bit.

I am certain that all phone architectures and hardware are now 64 bit.

The first version of Android with 64bit support was 5.0 which has been around since 2014.  iOS has been 64bit capable since 7.0 in 2013.  So if you have a working smartphone, it's very likely to be 64bit app compatible or complaining constantly that it can't run anything.

2 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

You know what I was thinking would have been useful? A mount for the enclosed speaker the same size and shape as the TTS speaker fittings that would give you a simple way to plug into an existing Hornby tender. Maybe the 8pin one includes such.

Many TTS ready locos had a mount for either a round or rectangular speaker. This enclosure kit gives you the choice of finding the best fit for the available space. All TXS decoders have the same speaker kit.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Ighten said:

Don't think the apps ready for release yet

When the app is released you will be made well aware. watch the Hornby site and their other social media feeds .

• Like 2

Just now, RAF96 said:

When the app is released you will be made well aware. watch the Hornby site and their other social media feeds .

When is this likeley to be? Days? Weeks? 

My diesels are going to sound funny with the test steam sound set 😄

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Here's a good question - how can you download the right sounds without the app? Is there any point to the decoder without the app?

How would you have synchronised the app release with arranging for decoders to pitch up on doorsteps at the same time. Hornby we’re damned whichever route they took.

The decoder comes with a default steam sound set , but yes you do need the app to update to the sound profile of choice as well as update the decoder firmware as it has been sitting on a shelf for ages whilst development pushed on with improvements as the app was tested towards a production release.

When the app is released you will be made well aware. Watch Hornby main site and their social media feeds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1