Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

7 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

When is this likeley to be? Days? Weeks? 

My diesels are going to sound funny with the test steam sound set 😄

Very soon.

Your diesels will still sound funny if your required class isn’t on the initial release list.

25 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

How would you have synchronised the app release with arranging for decoders to pitch up on doorsteps at the same time. Hornby we’re damned whichever route they took.

Yup.  They're also limited by the platform providers (Apple and Google) approving the apps in a timely manner.

Just noticed the HM DC app doesn't have Hornby as the publisher - their app developer is.  Having done work for hire app development in a former existence, that strikes me as a little risky for Hornby.  What could possibly go wrong..?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

iOS and Android are very different from PC operating systems. 

32 bit support was removed from iOS 11 and since iOS14 you can only run 64 bit. The last version of iOS to run 32 bit applications fully was iOS 10. Android is more forgiving but is due to drop 64 bit completely and currently if you want to put anything new into Google Play store it must be 64 bit.

I am certain that all phone architectures and hardware are now 64 bit.

Iain just double checking. . I take it you meant to say due to drop 32 bit ?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I wonder what the test steam sound is.

Flying Scotsman???

😀

Hi,

Judging by the TV show it ought to be iconic but maybe Hornby have a cunning plan.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi,

Judging by the TV show it ought to be iconic but maybe Hornby have a cunning plan.

Regards

Nick

I thought they'd already said what the default pre-loaded sound was.

IIRC either an A3 or A4.

3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I thought they'd already said what the default pre-loaded sound was.

IIRC either an A3 or A4.

TBH, I've not looked too closely into the TXS system to date as anything I get fitted/to fit with it is a little in my future, so I hadn't read anything about it.

I suppose that A3/A4 is sensible as that's what the the first sound fitted sets will contain. Easy to provide too, the only differences will be the whistles.

• Agree 1

Also be aware that the individual sound profiles not only provide the sounds, but also populate the associated function buttons in the app loco control screen and set the loco characteristics for that loco such as motor parameters, volume levels, etc.. there is also a difference in settings for OO and TT versions of a loco. Not as simple as it first seems to be.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Also be aware that the individual sound profiles not only provide the sounds, but also populate the associated function buttons in the app loco control screen and set the loco characteristics for that loco such as motor parameters, volume levels, etc.. there is also a difference in settings for OO and TT versions of a loco. Not as simple as it first seems to be.

Sounds good. Does it ask you then what scale loco youre using? For example the A3 / A4 does it ask TT or 00?

1 hour ago, Ighten said:

I'm guessing from the video. Can't quite remember.. that we can arrange the apps buttons anyway we want, besides the default?

I had a good look at the demonstration that Carl was showing off on the stand at MR Scotland, and he showed me and some others that you can actually disable specific sound functions on the app, say for instance you don't want the guards whistle on your black 5 because it's working light engine, or something like that, you can literally remove it from the button list. Going back to your initial question though, I believe you can rearrange the buttons, to coincide with what I just mentioned. All in all, if these take off well, which I think they will, we'll be seeing a LOT more sounds added as and when they're recorded, and cleaned up, etc. 

Nathan... 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Well DPD have delivered my Decoder and Power Pack, will have to wait until I get home from work to have a look. Realistically it will be the weekend before I get chance to play 😉

Time to sort out a guinea pig to fit it to ......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Sounds good. Does it ask you then what scale loco youre using? For example the A3 / A4 does it ask TT or 00?

It relies upon you being able to pick either a OO or TT labelled profile from the library yourself. The decoder as usual has no idea what it is installed in, a loco of any size, a test rig or a cardboard box.

Be aware the app was bounced by Apple for being labelled pre-release. This has be erased and the app resubmitted, so the ball is back in Apples court.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RAF96 said:

It relies upon you being able to pick either a OO or TT labelled profile from the library yourself. The decoder as usual has no idea what it is installed in, a loco of any size, a test rig or a cardboard box.

Be aware the app was bounced by Apple for being labelled pre-release. This has be erased and the app resubmitted, so the ball is back in Apples court.

Is that the same for the android app?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Out of interest how do you guys test the Apple version - Android allows you to install from other sources with a simple switch in settings, but I don't believe Apple afford this luxury. Jailbroken devices?

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Out of interest how do you guys test the Apple version - Android allows you to install from other sources with a simple switch in settings, but I don't believe Apple afford this luxury. Jailbroken devices?

You use testflight as part of the developers kits from Apple https://developer.apple.com/ios/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

another huge box coming this afternoon

I was *so* excited yesterday - I ripped into the box like a maniac just to discover all it held was the power supply adaptor cable :(

Installed mine today.

The railroad 37 i ordered to test the decoder was awful. Even on DC it wasnt smooth. With the TXS chip fitted it ran an inch and stopped - ran - stopped. Rinse and repeat. It also stalled on every point it came to.  

So not a great start but not the fault of the decoder. 

The only other 00 loco i have thats not already dcc fitted is a Bachmann class 20. So using a 21 to 8 pin adapter and the smallest enclosure it fits nice inside the body of the loco - unkike the TTS decoders which were a faff to get the body back on properly.

Running wise it sounds odd having a steam sound but its really smooth and very responsive to the controller. And considering its a small speaker it sounds really good - certainly better to my ear than the prefitted sugar cubes in some Bachmann locos.

Just waiting for the app now to change the sound to a diesel sound file albeit not the correct one. The class 20 was available as TTS so hopefully a TXS file will appear.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, meatloaf said:

Just waiting for the app now to change the sound to a diesel sound file albeit not the correct one. The class 20 was available as TTS so hopefully a TXS file will appear.

Sound files available - as originally listed - is back on page 1.