Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

3 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I'll have a go, I'll have to get the DCC controller out and switch the decoder to DCC as my phone can't control the loco and film at the same time LOL

I have long since decided that Hornby Bluetooth isn’t for me but I too would love to hear that set up in action. Sorry about the bother. Family eating on the floor again? 😁

Also an extra confirmation for me that an em1 and the supplied sugar cube in series will work..

Just need Hornby to release a class 47 profile now for my "prince william" project.. 

Has anyone managed to get the headlight working on a Accurascale 37? I downloaded the cl 31 profile on my new 37409. It has directional markers and I can turn on and off the tail and gauge lights. 

I assume this can be tweaked? I’m happy to lose the gauge lights in place of the headlights but I’m not sure how. Is it possible to remap through the app? 

5 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

What Function number works the headlight on the accurascale dcc sound version? If its one of the set f numbers on the txs decoder then it should work

I’m still learning the ways of DCC but according to the documentation F18 is the headlight. 

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, asked the wrong question, which aux output on the loksound decoder operates the headlight? . The txs can control aux1 to 4 using f21 to 24. However aux 3 and 4 are logic only outputs, so unless accurascale have included circuitry in the loco to boost the level of these outputs they won't drive an led 

Complicated I know 🤔

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Sorry, asked the wrong question, which aux output on the loksound decoder operates the headlight? . The txs can control aux1 to 4 using f21 to 24. However aux 3 and 4 are logic only outputs, so unless accurascale have included circuitry in the loco to boost the level of these outputs they won't drive an led 

Complicated I know 🤔

The AS Class 37 Loksound decoder utilises AUX5 & AUX6 for the headlights.

Steve

Ah. That’s handy to know. I figured there might be compatibility issues but with my limited knowledge, I thought I might be able to change a CV or something. 

Thank you both for the clarification and explanation. Luckily, my layout is an end to end yard so I can get away with just the markers! 

22 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Complicated I know 🤔

AS to have the circuitry on board to do that -it’s  just for other light functions

1 minute ago, Denny said:

Ah. That’s handy to know. I figured there might be compatibility issues but with my limited knowledge, I thought I might be able to change a CV or something. 

Thank you both for the clarification and explanation. Luckily, my layout is an end to end yard so I can get away with just the markers! 

AS also use the switches to help compensate. I have asked, but cannot get an answer yet, on exactly what each switch does. There may be a combination that does it but I haven’t faced the task of what might be 100s of permutations!

20 minutes ago, LMSfan72 said:

AS also use the switches to help compensate. I have asked, but cannot get an answer yet, on exactly what each switch does. There may be a combination that does it but I haven’t faced the task of what might be 100s of permutations!

Oh yes, I forgot about those. I simply made sure they were set in the directed non-esu position. 
Is it likely that damage could be caused by having them in the wrong positions? The other half has family over this weekend… I’ve been desperate for an excuse to make myself scarce! 

7 minutes ago, Denny said:

Oh yes, I forgot about those. I simply made sure they were set in the directed non-esu position. 
Is it likely that damage could be caused by having them in the wrong positions? The other half has family over this weekend… I’ve been desperate for an excuse to make myself scarce! 

I’d love to say no but honestly can’t say. My gut says no! My plan would be find a basic 6-function decoder to the MTC spec and try it. The damage would be confined to that. However, I’d be surprised if it did as I’m sure AS would need a bigger warning notice……

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Complicated I know 🤔

We do :) Just to clarify our onboard pcbs do some heavy lifting on their own to enable all the prototypical functionality. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. I fitted one of these to my old 8 pin Bachmann deltic chassis to allow a 21 pin TXS decoder to drive leds off aux 3 and 4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195856494796?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=V5rZPaVTRVa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=1oeLMVNrT_O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

just waiting for DCC concepts prewired lamps to come back into stock ….🙄

Roads and Rails do a 21 pin adapter with instructions that if Aux 5 and 6 are to be used on a decoder (say ESU) with full voltage output not logic only output then certain jumpers have to be made or broken (can’t remember which way it is). I would presume the dip switches on the loco perform that function, but you still cannot  make a logic only decoder drive lighting, etc without some additional on-board the loco circuitry.

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Try this, not sure if the bass has been picked up by the iPad mic though ….

Sounds great! If it weren't for the fact that my 55 was in my clubs shop for sale, I'd grab it and stick a big speaker inside! 

Nathan...

Hi,

I fitted two Dapol Class 73s with the decoders this noon and have came across two issues / questions:

1 - Is there anything special that needs to be done beyond enabling the ‘DCC’ mode in the app to allow a DCC system to control the loco? I was using a Prodigy and couldn’t get the loco to respond from it (either under the default address or new address), even after ‘recycling the power’ and turning the phone off. The decoder responded perfectly on Bluetooth with the Prodigy providing power. Not a massive issue really though.

2 - The app kept reporting the second decoder was missing its sound data even after two or three attempts to install the Class 73 sounds. I tried to install a class 56 sound just to see what happens and that worked fine and responded perfectly. I haven’t gone back to try the 73 sounds nor try on DCC as I ran out of time. Is this a known issue and how is it resolved?

Despite these and once I had replaced the speakers, I was really impressed by the decoders, app and sounds.

I think the ease of changing stuff like the acceleration and braking using sliders on the go is far better than any other method today, in my view.

However, it would be nice to have some sort of feedback to say the changes in CV / address etc have occurred and possibly something on the decoder to say it is broadcasting on Bluetooth as it was a little odd the first time as you had no idea whether it was until scanning on the app.

Simon

P.S. Apologies if the issues encountered have been answered before, but 71 pages to search through is a lot!

51 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

................................ and sounds.

Took my  bluetoothed chip Dapol 73 to an event recently where there were a number of modellers familiar with the 73's sound having either worked on them or with them. The question is which 73 did Hornby record ? There was some serious doubt it was the 4 cylinder EE engined original for the diesel power soundtrack and possibly the MTU engined version.

Anyone else have any thoughts.

Stu

• Like 1

In case #1 there’s is a known issue that the loco address given via the app does not yet transfer over in DCC mode (it is being worked on). Try it on address 0003 and/or change the address using programme mode on your DCC controller.

Case #2 the class 73 profile is the largest and requires rock solid WiFi and Bluetooth to load successfully. By that, I mean no dropout or interruptions from notifications from other apps. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

Case #2 the class 73 profile is the largest and requires rock solid WiFi and Bluetooth to load successfully. By that, I mean no dropout or interruptions from notifications from other apps. 

Hi,

I can confirm that the WiFi was good, the phone was next to the model the entire time with no notification or any interruptions, plus I had already installed it one another decoder only half an hour before. I also tried it on two separate decoders and had the same issue.

Simon

17 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Took my  bluetoothed chip Dapol 73 to an event recently where there were a number of modellers familiar with the 73's sound having either worked on them or with them. The question is which 73 did Hornby record ? There was some serious doubt it was the 4 cylinder EE engined original for the diesel power soundtrack and possibly the MTU engined version.

Anyone else have any thoughts.

Stu

Hi Stu,

I did think that once it got going it didn’t sound like my Legoman one, but then it had been a while since hearing it and I haven’t heard a 73 in real life!

Simon

11 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I fitted two Dapol Class 73s with the decoders this noon and have came across two issues / questions:

1 - Is there anything special that needs to be done beyond enabling the ‘DCC’ mode in the app to allow a DCC system to control the loco? I was using a Prodigy and couldn’t get the loco to respond from it (either under the default address or new address), even after ‘recycling the power’ and turning the phone off. The decoder responded perfectly on Bluetooth with the Prodigy providing power. Not a massive issue really though.

I had the same problem with my 73 and a 56. Set to DCC mode and pop it on your program track and set the address again. Should be OK then for both Bluetooth and DCC.

• Like 1