Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

38 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

All sound profiles in the app have been updated to incorporate bug fixes and to enable static power bank charging.

It is recommended that to take advantage of these fixes folk should download the new profile versions to their decoders.

There will be a new PDF update listing on the Hornby documentation area shortly, with explanatory notes.

Is there an update to the asymetric brake? I need it to stay stopped when it's told to stay stopped.

The idea of the Bluetooth decoder is perfect for the way I run my railway. I can follow the pickup goods around and shunt at each location with the controller in my hand. With asymmetric brake I can simply let it go and the train will work its way to wherever I’ve moved to etc following other trains. The problem comes if it gets looped or held up because things have stopped for other reasons. Having one loco that does its own thing simply causes chaos. The class 31 I have the Bluetooth decoder in has been through traps at the end of loops, been involved in some spectacular rear end collisions and generally caused chaos. It’s so near to perfect for what I do apart from its inability to stay stopped. 

13 hours ago, LNERGE said:

The idea of the Bluetooth decoder is perfect for the way I run my railway. I can follow the pickup goods around and shunt at each location with the controller in my hand. With asymmetric brake I can simply let it go and the train will work its way to wherever I’ve moved to etc following other trains. The problem comes if it gets looped or held up because things have stopped for other reasons. Having one loco that does its own thing simply causes chaos. The class 31 I have the Bluetooth decoder in has been through traps at the end of loops, been involved in some spectacular rear end collisions and generally caused chaos. It’s so near to perfect for what I do apart from its inability to stay stopped. 

We can chin-wag about this on Wednesday when we meet. I can explain the operating system I use (TGG) to you.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, D3489gibson said:

Coronation class 66 sounds also available now! Not sure if that's only for those who have the loco though... 

Not too sure I would want my other 66s to be playing "God Save The King" randomly.................... 😄

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

Not too sure I would want my other 66s to be playing "God Save The King" randomly.................... 😄

There are two profiles for the 66, one for the bog standard and one including GStK.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Watto1990 said:

Very glad to see the function masking added to the HST sound files, I will have to fiddle with my Midland Pullman set when I get a chance. 

The masking is set by a CV  in each car decoder - either 0 = off (both ends play everything), 1 = motor car leading or 2 = dummy car leading.

The leading car will play appropriate sounds and the trailing car will not. Upon reversing direction sounds played will transfer end to end.

The facility will be applied to future profiles for leading/trailing car units.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Coronation class 66 sounds also available now! Not sure if that's only for those who have the loco though... 

Any profile can be added to any decoder. The loco covering the decoder is of no concern to the profile.  I test load the next profile to any loco that is running well on the day, regardless of type.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RAF96 said:

The masking is set by a CV  in each car decoder - either 0 = off (both ends play everything), 1 = motor car leading or 2 = dummy car leading.

The leading car will play appropriate sounds and the trailing car will not. Upon reversing direction sounds played will transfer end to end.

The facility will be applied to future profiles for leading/trailing car units.

Is this a single CV or a group for individual sounds.

when will the manual be updated to reflect the changes for the newer versions of the profiles.

the reference manual is still dated 14/3/23 on the page footers but 14/2/23 on the update table on the last page so I think it is not worth the time looking for updates for the version changes.

On 27/09/2023 at 09:14, Bob83a said:

Is this a single CV or a group for individual sounds.

when will the manual be updated to reflect the changes for the newer versions of the profiles.

the reference manual is still dated 14/3/23 on the page footers but 14/2/23 on the update table on the last page so I think it is not worth the time looking for updates for the version changes.

CV119  - You give each decoder either value 1 or 2 then the sounds follow the direction. I have a spreadsheet showing which ones these are in which direction, but the manual will be updated in the next few weeks as there are many other updates to revise and/or cover.

Edited by RAF96

Turbomotive profile has just gone live on the app.

F5 brings the reverse turbine into play once the loco has stopped. 
CV227 is the control to engage realistic mode.

IMG_1193.jpeg

Edited by RAF96
Add image.
  • Like 4

Decided to obtain one of these Bluetooth sound decoders after experiencing one a freind had purchased.

Have to say I am impressed with thr quality of the sound. It's in a class 56 currently and with an upgraded speaker it sounds very good indeed. 

Not sure about the app though, on my phone screen there is a lot of scrolling if you want functions and speed control.

I'm glad these decoders will work with standard DCC Systems and you are not tied to just using the app.

Where the app does well is how easy it was to connect to the decoder and install the sound profile.

I can see myself trying other sound projects like the 47 and 40 before buying additional Bluetooth decoders. I think the established sound decoders are still superior in many ways. However, as someone who tends to overlook those models I have not fitted sound to yet, these will be a cheaper method to upgrade.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, RAF96 said:

CV119  - You give each decoder either value 1 or 2 then the sounds follow the direction. I have a spreadsheet showing which ones these are in which direction, but the manual will be updated in the next few weeks as there are many other updates to revise and/or cover.

Will that feature be available for other profiles?

I ask as I run a pair of 37s in top n tail mode at shows and it's useful to have them on the same address, rather than consisted/MU-ed.

(I've tweaked the ESU sound files on a couple of locos to do this already)

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Will that feature be available for other profiles?

I ask as I run a pair of 37s in top n tail mode at shows and it's useful to have them on the same address, rather than consisted/MU-ed.

(I've tweaked the ESU sound files on a couple of locos to do this already)

At present it is only planned into double end car profiles like HST, etc, not individual locos bootstrapped, and also at present is only available to ackle from DCC not the app. Work in progress. Shouldn’t be a problem to implant across the board though.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 1

According to the schedule (25/9/23) the sound profiles for the class 37 and Turbomotive in OO were due in Q3 so are now overdue. So should be available shortly.

The class 67 in OO and both versions of the class 43 in TT shown as due in Q3 (in the schedule in June) were all rescheduled to Q4..

Other profiles due in Q4 are the class 60 and 2MTin OO.

• Informative/Useful 1