RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Steam locomotives

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Ribird said:

You are absolutely correct, we’ve only seen production samples of the FS Dublo range. That was me assuming they would do that, which we don’t know. (My bad for assuming)

But we also don’t know if this is true for everything else. We’ve only seen samples of the Dublo SNG. And old?? model shots for the GG Dublo range? What Hornby says and does are two different things. 

But why on earth would Hornby produce one HD A4 SNG with an upgraded wheelset and another, the GG A4 variants with the previous incarnation components?

Sorry, but to do otherwise doesn't make any commercial sense!

The changes I refer to are being introduced on some existing locos such as the 2022 main range A4 Golden Fleece. 

Maybe the new 2022/23 models will all be available with a LED glowing firebox as has happened with the current A1/A3 offering?

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ribird said:

I’m also surprised to see no mention of the 5 Gold Plated Dublo Flying Scotman’s exclusive to TMC for £500

https://www.facebook.com/100063533384494/posts/pfbid0VLGKjSoitQFFGehQk4pVsq7qypBiF9XoazrjBQ1JRHNBq4hMnW8jD3gQPhShz8nSl/?mibextid=UUgoR4

Tier 1 exclusive, not just TMC. I’ve preordered the USA version. Normal one for running and the Gold Plated one for display cabinet. 

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ribird said:

I’m also surprised to see no mention of the 5 Gold Plated Dublo Flying Scotman’s exclusive to TMC for £500

https://www.facebook.com/100063533384494/posts/pfbid0VLGKjSoitQFFGehQk4pVsq7qypBiF9XoazrjBQ1JRHNBq4hMnW8jD3gQPhShz8nSl/?mibextid=UUgoR4

Oh, 5 variants, not 5 models. I thought that was a bit too exclusive!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Tier 1 exclusive, not just TMC. I’ve preordered the USA version. Normal one for running and the Gold Plated one for display cabinet. 

How many tier 1s are there? I might be  getting close to a TMC exclusive ;)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2023 at 08:47, palmsticks said:

Hello All,

Regards the two LNER liveried Gresley pacifics which are not Flying Scotsman (Nu) "Hornby Dublo" or A4s:-

R30270 - Class A1 No. 4478 "Hermit" - "Big 4 Celebration range" - List price £218.99 - ETA Q3/4 2023

R30216 - Class A3 No. 2573 "Harvester" - "Main Range" - List price £252.99 - ETA Q3/4 2023

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-class-a1-4-6-2-4478-hermit-big-four-centenary-collection-era-3-r30270?_br_psugg_q=r30270

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-a3-class-no2573-harvester-diecast-footplate-and-flickering-firebox-era-3-r30216

Is anybody aware of a specification difference between the models, aside that obviously the A1 has short travel valvegear and 180psi boiler vs. the A3 long travel valve gear and a 220psi boiler?

EDIT: and cab cut outs!

I am motivated to ask this as there is a price difference.

They both seem to have the same features (dicast running plate, fire LED, 21 pin DCC, 5 pole motor, tender, proper green livery etc) and I assume that they use the same chassis and body tooling accept a couple of tweaks for the A3's valve gear and super heater covers.

Many thanks!

Hornby LNER A1 No4478.jpg

Hornby LNER A3 No2573.jpg

4478 Hermit looks to me like the earlier GNR type with slightly taller chimney and cab, large cab cutout, ect. More like the older 1470 Great Northern model. This is exciting for me as it appeals to my taste. I am not sure why the wheels dont look lined though, I am no expert.

The white in the lining on the A3 Harvester looks wider to me too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

4478 Hermit looks to me like the earlier GNR type with slightly taller chimney and cab, large cab cutout, ect. More like the older 1470 Great Northern model. This is exciting for me as it appeals to my taste. I am not sure why the wheels dont look lined though, I am no expert.

The white in the lining on the A3 Harvester looks wider to me too.

Good spot.  Although, the cab is possibly not cut down (which might be right, Yeadon's doesn't say when they got modified although it must be after 1925 (named) but before 1936-8 (general repairs, prob got cab mod earlier if date on pic from Flickr is correct) anybody got RCTS LNER engines Part 2A?).  As built, the cab roof was originally in line with the cab ventilator and the cab side grab rail was originally inline with the short one along the firebox, but when modified to suit composite loading gauge the cab was lowered identifiable by ventilator sticking up, and grab rails not lining up.  From the image, it looks like it is a bit lowered but only a bit so could be camera angle.  This may of course change on the production run models compaired to these publicity shots.  Same goes for the lining.  Hopefully, the standard is as good as the batch they released in 2022 (Knight of Thistle and Doncaster) . 

syks - lner 4478 departs doncaster

c.1930 - Kings Cross, London.

Toying with the idea of an identity change to 2573 to become 2750 Papyrus although cab cutouts are wrong for the year I would like and reverser rod is in on the wrong side.  I'm supprised they've not done her before but I'm sure they'll do her at some point, probably the 100th aniversay of 108mph in 2035!  This one below though..... *lust*

LNER A3 with GN Tender

Edited by palmsticks
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, palmsticks said:

Good spot.  Although, the cab is possibly not cut down (which might be right, Yeadon's doesn't say when they got modified although it must be after 1925 (named) but before 1936-8 (general repairs, prob got cab mod earlier if date on pic from Flickr is correct) anybody got RCTS LNER engines Part 2A?).  As built, the cab roof was originally in line with the cab ventilator and the cab side grab rail was originally inline with the short one along the firebox, but when modified to suit composite loading gauge the cab was lowered identifiable by ventilator sticking up, and grab rails not lining up.  From the image, it looks like it is a bit lowered but only a bit so could be camera angle.  This may of course change on the production run models compaired to these publicity shots.  Same goes for the lining.  Hopefully, the standard is as good as the batch they released in 2022 (Knight of Thistle and Doncaster) . 

syks - lner 4478 departs doncaster

c.1930 - Kings Cross, London.

Toying with the idea of an identity change to 2573 to become 2750 Papyrus although cab cutouts are wrong for the year I would like and reverser rod is in on the wrong side.  I'm supprised they've not done her before but I'm sure they'll do her at some point, probably the 100th aniversay of 108mph in 2035!  This one below though..... *lust*

LNER A3 with GN Tender

In my limited knowlege, 4479 'Robert the Devil' was the last one built with the GNR high cab. So if Hermit was to have this, it is in a place in time that makes historical sense. I might be ignorant, but Hornby models over the years have been equipped with a high cab (that looks just a whisker too low), for some reason a mid cab that is too high for a low cab, and the later low cab. So it can be sometimes hard to tell which one they are modelling.

I don't know if it is common knowledge, but:

I have shells with high-ish cabs, and low chimneys and domes. And then also some with the opposite! High chimney and dome with a low-ish cab. (Yes I am looking at you, Railroad Flying Scotsman!)

In any case, I for one would love a high cab model in the range!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, palmsticks said:

Toying with the idea of an identity change to 2573 to become 2750 Papyrus although cab cutouts are wrong for the year I would like and reverser rod is in on the wrong side.

The drive is also on the wrong side. 2573 was rebuilt from an A1 in 1928 and retained the right-hand drive until the 1950s whereas 2750 was built as an A3 so it had left-hand drive (this means the vacuum ejector pipe is on the wrong side of the boiler on 2573 for 2750). Annoyingly, Hornby have never done a pre-war left-hand drive A3 with the GNR tender. The easiest way to make one would probably be to get Book Law and either Flying Fox or Gladiateur and swap the tenders over.

19 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

In my limited knowlege, 4479 'Robert the Devil' was the last one built with the GNR high cab.

I think it was 4481 St Simon. Interestingly, 4481 retained the high ventilator when its cab was cut down. This unique cab was transferred to Merry Hampton at some point.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

The drive is also on the wrong side. 2573 was rebuilt from an A1 in 1928 and retained the right-hand drive until the 1950s whereas 2750 was built as an A3 so it had left-hand drive (this means the vacuum ejector pipe is on the wrong side of the boiler on 2573 for 2750). Annoyingly, Hornby have never done a pre-war left-hand drive A3 with the GNR tender. The easiest way to make one would probably be to get Book Law and either Flying Fox or Gladiateur and swap the tenders over.

Thanks for this.  I thought modifying the reversing rod etc would be relatively easy but forgot about the vacuum ejector pipe which looks a bit harder to deal with to swap sides without damaging the livery.  Good suggestion on other candidates that could form the basis of an identity swap, will take a look.  It's a shame that Hornby are modelling 2573 Harvester in her A3 guise and not A1, as in that state she formed the basis of a famous* miniature locomotive in 10.25" gauge built by HCS Bullock in 1936.  * = very niche level of fame.

No.2573 HARVESTER - 4-6-2 based on LNER Class A1 - built 1936 by HCS Bullock to order of Kinloch - used on Fox Hill Railway and Farnborough Miniature Railway before arriving of the SB&CR. It is not known to have ever carried it's number. In 1940, it was sold to the Maharajah of Baroda, along with two of the Pullman coaches, who used it on a 3km line built to transport his heir from the palace to his school! It was named SAYAJIRAO after the Prince's grandfather and still exists today.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the email through for the Dublo great gathering A4's, £320.99 for each loco is a fair chunk of change. I don't doubt that they probably look good and are gonna heavy, but I don't think I'll see many on layouts tbh. I get the impression this is for the collectors to lap up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

A variation on the Rocket tender,

I'd heard, in these very hallowed halls, that the prototype tender for the prototype rocket was a "mod" from existing wagons, so this isn't as far-fetched as it could sound.

Edited by PeterStiles
added word "prototype"

• RMweb Premium

Finally had a reply to one of my questions  on one of Hornby’s Facebook posts. Apparently the USA Scotsman’s 2nd tender will have updated tooling. Hopefully that means no more massive D coupling at one end. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

How close is Firdaussi to Papyrus (as a possible identity swap)?  It was built 5 years later, also as an A3.

Unfortunately, it's no better than Book Law. Firdaussi was one of only 9 A3s to have a banjo dome whereas Papyrus had a round dome until 1943 and then a streamlined one. Papyrus alternated several times between GNR and 1928 corridor tenders but after 07/09/1937 it had a 1930 New Type non-corridor until 1953. Book Law and Firdaussi both had 1930 New Types but the dome issue makes Book Law a better donor.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Finally had a reply to one of my questions  on one of Hornby’s Facebook posts. Apparently the USA Scotsman’s 2nd tender will have updated tooling. Hopefully that means no more massive D coupling at one end. 

Wonder if that'll be a modification of the original water tender tool or a newer one? I have a feeling the D links will be shaved off and an NEM pocket added and that's it.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Wonder if that'll be a modification of the original water tender tool or a newer one? I have a feeling the D links will be shaved off and an NEM pocket added and that's it.

I’m hoping at the very least it’s got an NEM pocket at both ends! Separate handrails etc hopefully as well. It would have been nice if it was a totally new tooling seeing as it’s going on a premium Dublo model. Could also have been used for Dublo versions of blue Bittern as 4492 and Green UoSA 60009. We shall see how much it’s improved/retooled I guess. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2023 at 10:11, rogerzilla said:

It's still scandalous that Papyrus was scrapped

100%.  Although, in the warehouse of the NRM...

1947088600_Picture075.jpg.92bcdd8a6c71a51f9f0894b27cdbae61.jpg

1371502515_Picture084.jpg.e8672ea79557bf35d9ad6188354dbd8e.jpg

Perhaps in the future, the technology will exist to extract the locomotive DNA from a sample and grow a new one?

On 16/02/2023 at 10:11, rogerzilla said:

we only have FS, which is a right mashup.

Still grateful for all the machines that still exist, and the people who made it happen and worked on them.  4472 is probably in better condition now than it has ever been thanks to Riley's an co.

Thanks for the suggestion for Firdaussi for the ID swap.  However, i'm going to use Brook Law for the reasons pointed out by  @JamieR4489.

On 17/02/2023 at 02:04, Hilux5972 said:

I’m hoping at the very least it’s got an NEM pocket at both ends! Separate handrails etc hopefully as well. It would have been nice if it was a totally new tooling seeing as it’s going on a premium Dublo model. Could also have been used for Dublo versions of blue Bittern as 4492 and Green UoSA 60009. We shall see how much it’s improved/retooled I guess. 

The second tender never ran behind UoSA.  It ran behind Bitten in both BR green and Garter Blue, when Bittern  was masquerading as Dominion of  New Zealand. 

On 16/02/2023 at 12:43, Hilux5972 said:

Is there any way you could link that post they replied on? Or screenshot the comment? Please

Found it: 

D4B0DB38-1557-4486-B41C-1178AF691E0B.jpeg

Edited by Ribird
Found it
  • Like 1