Hornby 2023 - Diesel & Electric locomotives/units

AY Mod

1 hour ago, scouse889 said:

Bit of a coincidence though, plus they said at the 2023 range announcement it was a catch up year, yet it seems they can progress things through production very quickly if there is a chance of a quick buck…. or am I being too cynical….!

At nearly £100 MRP for the ex-Lima model vs £170 MRP for the Hatturascale one, the former seems overpriced IMO.

Not that quick though - if they are arriving in the next couple of weeks they will have been made before the announcement. As for the announcements, everyone is moving towards a model of not doing a big bang announcement but keeping things under wraps for 'last minute' surprises.

Re pricing, always subjective but as I have said before, by keeping their Class 66 in stock Hornby can ensure that ordinary people can buy it when they want. The Hattons one has been unavailable for many months and the new Accurascale one will be a wait and then no doubt you will have to be quick. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a coincidence though, plus they said at the 2023 range announcement it was a catch up year, yet it seems they can progress things through production very quickly if there is a chance of a quick buck…. or am I being too cynical….!

At nearly £100 MRP for the ex-Lima model vs £170 MRP for the Hatturascale one, the former seems overpriced IMO.

I think at the £85-87 price that Hattons currently has them listed for, they're not too bad. Not ones for finescale modellers maybe, and probably at the top end of what's acceptable for those who don't want to spend double that on a Bachmann, Hattons or Accurascale one. But they do have their place, they're acceptable models that look like what they're supposed to be and work reasonably well. I wouldn't want to pay as much as £100 for one, mind, that feels steep, even though I do understand that prices of materials, assembly, shipping, etc, have all gone up. 

I still have a Lima one that sits among my Bachmann ones, and although it's not quite up to the same standard, it doesn't look awful, and the DynaDrive (remember that?) drivetrain hidden within more than makes up for any deficiencies in the looks department!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 7013 said:

I see Hornby have announced a whole raft of 66s. Probably in response to Accurascales  announcement. These will be the old tooling models I presume and will not be a patch on any of the other offerings, but will be ok for those on a budget. 

Aren’t these the ones that were announced in Jan 2022? They’ve just taken a while to get here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

On 10/03/2023 at 07:18, StuAllen said:

Aren’t these the ones that were announced in Jan 2022? They’ve just taken a while to get here.

That's what I thought when I saw them, but as I wasn't in the market for any I didn't bother to investigate further 

• Like 2

On 10/03/2023 at 07:18, StuAllen said:

I know these are something of a slap any old livery on the tooling & knock them out quickly and cheaply, but the curse of accuracy strikes again for Hornby. The tooling as we all well know is the ex Lima 66/0, first produced in EWS. Hornby's choice of DRS 66 is a 66/4 - DRS now operate 5 ex EWS 66s in DRS livery, so would it have hurt Hornby to spend 5 minutes looking at websites such as Flickr, and produced something like 66122 instead of 66422*?

*A lot emissions variant with various differences.  

66122 @ York (parcel Sidings)

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, surfsup said:

*A lot emissions variant with various differences.  

Hence why they stopped producing them due to environmental concerns? 😁

Completely agree about the research.

Edited by scouse889
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, surfsup said:

so would it have hurt Hornby to spend 5 minutes looking at websites such as Flickr

That's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. In a few cases they have had opportunity to choose subjects that actually (broadly speaking) fit the tooling, but they then choose another number.

In fairness I believe they corrected this on a 37, where they chose 37521 in Colas and went to 37421.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Do you think Hornby have any DE experts on the books ? I haven’t noticed any on their TV series 

I've only just watched both series, and the focus on steam above anything else is quite noticeable (very much playing to Mr Kohler's foibles I think) - most of the footage of DE subjects rolling around seem to come from the competition's models on the featured layouts.  The only exception seems to have been the HST revamp (unless I snoozed through another one).

If they have any DE experts they are definitely camera shy. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, frobisher said:

I've only just watched both series, and the focus on steam above anything else is quite noticeable (very much playing to Mr Kohler's foibles I think) - most of the footage of DE subjects rolling around seem to come from the competition's models on the featured layouts.  The only exception seems to have been the HST revamp (unless I snoozed through another one).

If they have any DE experts they are definitely camera shy. 

Yes the Bachmann 47 on the NSE coaches on that fellas YouTube layout was great ! 
( name escapes me at present ).

IMHo a lot of the content of trains is a bit dull, the bit about  the genesis of the buccaneer kit was more interesting 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Do you think Hornby have any DE experts on the books ? I haven’t noticed any on their TV series 

In next weeks exciting episode it looks like they are looking at the new East Anglian Flirt unit . So probably we will find out then. 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Legend said:

In next weeks exciting episode it looks like they are looking at the new East Anglian Flirt unit . So probably we will find out then. 

And wasn’t tonight’s episode a corker. Simon personally receives broken loco. Yes, it’s knackered - anybody could  tell by the angle of one of them kettle bits. Sends to guys that mend them. Personally repacks and sends package .

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Legend said:

i'm sure i spotted someone who does not work for Hornby anymore in the trailer for it, sayings "its not good enough", was it who i think it was?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i'm sure i spotted someone who does not work for Hornby anymore in the trailer for it, sayings "its not good enough", was it who i think it was?

I remember the "its not good enough "  , didn't clock who said it though 

• Like 1

Just noted Hattons have a picture of the pre-production Scotrail 153. Looks good, but I did chuckle - must be working an Oban to Matlock shuttle…..!

Let’s hope this is changed for the production version - unlike the First liveried Scotrail 156, which ended up going to Norwich….

image.jpeg.f61de7eebfbe3b83402463ed4bc0a714.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Just noted Hattons have a picture of the pre-production Scotrail 153. Looks good, but I did chuckle - must be working an Oban to Matlock shuttle…..!

Let’s hope this is changed for the production version - unlike the First liveried Scotrail 156, which ended up going to Norwich….

Could be worse - the Stagecoach South West 158 going to Blackpool.

Dmu 158888  South West trains Dean Farm.5-2-10 tif

• Like 2

Are they Electra vinyls or similar? Note the white edges, green area under the front and the aforementioned Matlock destination. 

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

46 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Are they Electra vinyls or similar? Note the white edges, green area under the front and the aforementioned Matlock destination. 

Jo

The Hattons website mentions it's an initial sample and not final release. Hopefully the bodyside graphic isn't just a big sticker, like it was on some Limby 66s. If the destination remains as Matlock I'm sure Hornby will issue alternative destinations. They subsequently released more appropriate destination stickers after the Norwich bound Scotrail 156 for people to retro fit. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, newbryford said:

Could be worse - the Stagecoach South West 158 going to Blackpool.

Dmu 158888  South West trains Dean Farm.5-2-10 tif

Dont encourage them.

Any excuse to get it wrong..

Matlock is as beautiful as Scotland, but its quite definitely not on the way to the Highlands…. Wrong is wrong….

lets see how much Hornby cares about this one ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

Sadly that picture is a sticker stuck onto the body side.

One thing that British Leyland was good at was rivets, and if you look close at that picture, I dont see many rivets showing through that paint job.

I assume the image isnt a real Hornby one.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Sadly that picture is a sticker stuck onto the body side.

One thing that British Leyland was good at was rivets, and if you look close at that picture, I dont see many rivets showing through that paint job.

I assume the image isnt a real Hornby one.

Absolutely, hence wondering if it was a vinyl. Adam does even does 153377 too, though there's no photos on his website of it.

The photo on Hattons has all the hallmarks of quickly applied vinyl sides. That green panel under the yellow is the real shiner to me. Central Trains livery under the vinyl do we think?

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Absolutely, hence wondering if it was a vinyl. Adam does even does 153377 too, though there's no photos on his website of it.

The photo on Hattons has all the hallmarks of quickly applied vinyl sides. That green panel under the yellow is the real shiner to me. Central Trains livery under the vinyl do we think?

Jo

R3575 153379 was an ex CT liveried unit with EMT branding, Derby to Matlock service, so indeed it seems likely they used one of these as a base with a vinyl on the side for this preproduction sample. Quite how they do the production version remains to be seen, but they do seem keen on transfers recently…..

• Like 2