RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Diesel & Electric locomotives/units

AY Mod

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

I suggest that green livery diesels have the additional advantage, amongst those of us who like prototypical, not 'Rule One' arrangements, that they ran alongside steam whilst steam was still in the majority.  

I know Rail Blue started in 1966 (taking a while to get going), and did coexist with Death Steam, but conversely 'Green TOPS' is a thing too, with a decent following.  Two-tone green 'heritage' Class 47s can still be seen on the main line today, so that ticks a Railroad box or two.

The time when green diesels were common is well over 50 years ago now. Many modellers have no memory of it, or steam which ran with it.

Blue was the majority until the 80s & still common into the 90s & layouts featuring blue diesels have become steadily more common.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Even when the 67 was produced by Lima it had a centrally-mounted motor and was unique amongst Lima diesels in having all wheel drive (most of the rest having the standard Lima pancake motor). It was improved by Hornby when re-released as part of the main range (ca 2005 IIRC) and I doubt that Hornby have reverse-engineered this loco to put the so called "Limby" motor in it to power only one bogie, so I suspect it's just a mistake in Montana's script.

The Railroad 67 in Colas, DB Silver and DB red in the train set is single bogie drive with two traction tyres, pick ups on all 8 wheels, 8 pin DCC socket, standard white directional lights but no red lights and the original Lima couplings and not NEM like many other railroad models. We currently have one DCC fitted running on one of the shop's DCC layouts and it runs very nicely. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, sawyermodels said:

The Railroad 67 in Colas, DB Silver and DB red in the train set is single bogie drive with two traction tyres, pick ups on all 8 wheels, 8 pin DCC socket, standard white directional lights but no red lights and the original Lima couplings and not NEM like many other railroad models. We currently have one DCC fitted running on one of the shop's DCC layouts and it runs very nicely. Hope this helps. 

Wow, so they have retooled it!! Wonder why. Sounds a retrograde step to me, although I suppose it then uses the same parts that the rest of the ex-Lima stable use. The lack of NEM pockets is retrograde too in my opinion - certainly 67005 and 67027 had Lima style couplings but definitely 67029 and 67014 (train packs) had modified bogie frames with NEM pockets, and I think 67018 did too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

I remember only blue diesels in service, and that's why I buy green ones.  Rail Blue was terribly drab and reminds me of the worst of the 70s and 80s, when the railway was in managed decline.

It depends on your memories, yes it was corporate but in 1971 onwards I started spotting and to me this up to 1975 is my modelling era. The memories of all the different classes chugging around even if blue is the thing that stirs my passion. Don’t get me wrong I love the other periods since but that was my lasting memory, so it’s a matter of preference and no person should decide what is good or bad it’s a total individual preference bound by the memory. Couple of examples, Hydraulics on the Western such as Exeter, double headed 50s hammering through WBQ’s, 20s hauling coal around Chesterfield and Deltics through Newark/Grantham 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I suggest that green livery diesels have the additional advantage, amongst those of us who like prototypical, not 'Rule One' arrangements, that they ran alongside steam whilst steam was still in the majority.  

I know Rail Blue started in 1966 (taking a while to get going), and did coexist with Death Steam, but conversely 'Green TOPS' is a thing too, with a decent following.  Two-tone green 'heritage' Class 47s can still be seen on the main line today, so that ticks a Railroad box or two.

A few lovely green 37's too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

I remember only blue diesels in service, and that's why I buy green ones.  Rail Blue was terribly drab and reminds me of the worst of the 70s and 80s, when the railway was in managed decline.

In some cases the appeal is the rather tired infrastructure. For me the appeal is I was growing up and the sheer variety of workings which ceased to exist a long time ago.

Drab you say ? Maybe when tired or dirty but out the box I think it’s fairly smart 

27F1030F-334B-4084-AFF8-A67865FA16AD.png

• Like 9

8 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Two-tone green 'heritage' Class 47s can still be seen on the main line today, so that ticks a Railroad box or two.

Since in the illustration the ttg 47 appears to have headlamps fitted, why didn't Hornby just do one of them? D1935 & D1944 instantly come to mind. Would have sat well with the many other current-operator 47s they've turned out recently.

If Hornby has the 47 tooling without headlamps and use that version for this model, then fine - although my earlier comment on wrong roof radiator grilles for D1683 still stands, and of course the underframe detail is incorrect, as it was for all Lima 47s in 1960s/70s liveries (I grafted Hornby's own (S9675) onto four of mine - including 47484 just last year).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

In some cases the appeal is the rather tired infrastructure. For me the appeal is I was growing up and the sheer variety of workings which ceased to exist a long time ago.

Drab you say ? Maybe when tired or dirty but out the box I think it’s fairly smart 

27F1030F-334B-4084-AFF8-A67865FA16AD.png

I will admit that a freshly painted 47 in the sun can look good: this was just out of the shop at the GWSR diesel gala.  In service it soon lost its shine and went greyish.

20220731_140855.jpg

• Like 4

Oops. It appears I touched a nerve here which was not intended. Sorry. After the APT saga I pretty much gave up on the hobby and only recently have come back into it. Around that time I looked at the Redland hoppers which seemed crowd funded, so I was assuming that was the case with the Class 56. I got that wrong. 

The steel wagons did not roll freely if I remember rightly. He told me about that and a bogie coming apart that he repaired. I think he sold them on since but will pass this onto him. I'm thinking of going to Model Rail Scotland so if I do I will go and have a look. 

Perhaps I  will see what comes out first and then I will make up my mind. But I do like my Hornby model that I already have. It runs well and looks the part. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TH47541 said:

Oops. It appears I touched a nerve here which was not intended. Sorry. After the APT saga I pretty much gave up on the hobby and only recently have come back into it. Around that time I looked at the Redland hoppers which seemed crowd funded, so I was assuming that was the case with the Class 56. I got that wrong. 

The steel wagons did not roll freely if I remember rightly. He told me about that and a bogie coming apart that he repaired. I think he sold them on since but will pass this onto him. I'm thinking of going to Model Rail Scotland so if I do I will go and have a look. 

Perhaps I  will see what comes out first and then I will make up my mind. But I do like my Hornby model that I already have. It runs well and looks the part. 

That's fair enough, the PGA project was the first model that we did and it was done on an expressions of interest basis as we were testing the water, however it wasn't crowdfunded par se. Our business model has changed vastly from that over the 6 six or so years since then.

I am sorry to hear that the BBA's that your friend had didn't run well, they certainly have for most people. The bogie is a model of the real wagons version rather than a basic cross member and moulded on sideframes so had to be made in several parts that were assembled at the factory. They were assembled well in the most part, certainly better in the second batch, but if you weren't used to that kind of assembly as a customer then it would be easy to overdo it with pressure when maintaining the bogie and loosening something. That's probably what happened. We certainly would have been happy to resolve any issues had he contacted us.

As for the 56, yes we would love for you to come and see us at Model Rail scotland and check out the 56's we will have there on show, I'm sure that you will like what you see. We have spent a lot of time and effort in getting the loco correct and running well in all of its variations with a very visible difference between them all. 

I would suggest that you have a look at this post on here to see what you are getting for your money in relation to the Hornby model as well if you haven't looked previously. 

In the meantime a little snap of our as delivered BR blue 56008 converted to P4 and running at the recent DEFine show in Risley.

2035761956_56Front.jpg.17d6076ab661682a98b5d6b7ae85781e.jpg

Kindest Regards

Cav

• Like 12

48 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Black TfW 67 has disappeared from the webpage

Bit of an odd one this, because unless I am missing something it wasn't included in the announcement video? So maybe it is something planned for next year's range that was released by accident?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2023 at 14:48, scouse889 said:

Even when the 67 was produced by Lima it had a centrally-mounted motor and was unique amongst Lima diesels in having all wheel drive (most of the rest having the standard Lima pancake motor). It was improved by Hornby when re-released as part of the main range (ca 2005 IIRC) and I doubt that Hornby have reverse-engineered this loco to put the so called "Limby" motor in it to power only one bogie, so I suspect it's just a mistake in Montana's script.

Class 20 had a central mount motor, but only drove on one bogie.

Class 40 was designed to have a central mount motor, but turned pancake. (The trailing bogie still has the abandoned tower in its design).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2023 at 03:08, KDG said:

A pity Hornby have not released a 66, or 67 in Platinum Jubilee livery. I was sort of expecting them to do that. I'd have definately had a full fat 67 in that livery, would probably have bought the railroad 67 version too, and even the 66 despite it's lack of lights and other issues.

Would have marked the event nicely. IMHO, they would sell out, just like the Captain Tom class 66.

I was hoping for a Platinum 67 as well. Would have made a nice companion to Elizabeth II in my display cabinet. 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I was hoping for a Platinum 67 as well. Would have made a nice companion to Elizabeth II in my display cabinet. 

I thought they'd have done that.

I also thought they'd have done another variant of the purple WC. IIRC there was a number/name tweak or something at some point so there is potentially two models to do if they wanted to cash in on it without upsetting those with their limited editions.

• Agree 3

On 13/01/2023 at 21:52, Pmorgancym said:

Black TfW 67 has disappeared from the webpage

Ah... I think I've worked out why, particularly as the previous TFW 67 release was also 67025. But the main issue is that Hornby very much appears to have jumped the gun on that, as the real thing hasn't been painted into the TfW Black livery yet (it's still white). oops. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Ah... I think I've worked out why, particularly as the previous TFW 67 release was also 67025. But the main issue is that Hornby very much appears to have jumped the gun on that, as the real thing hasn't been painted into the TfW Black livery yet (it's still white). oops. 

In the photo/render, the model is numbered 67020.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

If anyone is after the Cavalex class 56 but has any concerns about pre-ordering we have the full range of 56’s available to pre order now at Rainbow Railways. We take a £30 deposit which will ensure you get the model you want and this can be refunded to you if you change your mind or circumstances change. 

The team behind Cavalex are good modellers and are producing some excellent products for us all to enjoy. I had no hesitation in ordering the BBA’s directly when they were first announced as I had followed Cav and Alex on RMweb for many years before we even met. Since we opened our own shop it’s great to be able to stock their products and I’m looking forward to seeing them at Glasgow. 

All the best

Mark

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, surfsup said:

I thought the grey tfw loco was 67014 (certainly mine is).

(On a side note disappointed TfW have move away from the Grey, having acquired a full Grey set, if we were American I'd probably be starting a class action!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

(On a side note disappointed TfW have move away from the Grey, having acquired a full Grey set, if we were American I'd probably be starting a class action!)

Wow that's a can of worms I haven't thought of before.

11 hours ago, surfsup said:

real thing hasn't been painted into the TfW Black livery yet (it's still white)

Are they repainting the grey/white ones into black, or just swapped colour going forwards on respraying DB/EWS ones?

• Like 1

A couple of points

- The Grey TFW 67 produced by Hornby was 67014

- The Black 67 announced by Hornby was listed as 67025 (Grey livery in real life) but this was an error as the artwork showed 67020 (which is in black)

- Since acquiring the ex Grand Central Mk4s, TfW will be repainting their 3 ex-LNER rakes into Black, with additional red detailing. 

- The Hornby black 67 release has now been removed from the website. Apparently it was quickly rushed through in place of something else 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Wow that's a can of worms I haven't thought of before.

Are they repainting the grey/white ones into black, or just swapped colour going forwards on respraying DB/EWS ones?

Say I think they're going tonrepaint grey to black.  Sad really as the grey looks quite smart, the black looks a bit off some how.

• Like 2