2023 Overall Feeling

Pmorgancym

• RMweb Premium

Every year, I scan the annual Hornby announcement just in case there is anything to tempt me back to OO from N and US HO and this year they have managed to almost fail completely.

With the possible exception of the TTA tanks and the Salmon wagons (both of which to be honest I would rather see from someone like Accurascale et al) that was probably one of the worst annual announcements in years.

Clearly Hornby are only really interested in the tiresome Collectors Market now (all that Dublo revivalist stuff) and an anniversary of an anniversary?  Really?!?

And what is with the Beatles tat?  They are still trying to desperately shift the last lot.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Trains4U said:

Maybe in 2043, we’ll see a “Blur Vs Oasis” britpop battle train pack!

(you can have that one for free, Hornby!)

Hopefully Rapido or Accurascale could be encouraged to produce a Pulp train set for those connoisseurs among us recognise the real winners of Britpop! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

It must be SO difficult for Hornby, now that every single British steam loco type is now available in RTR 00 gauge. What choice do they have other than to churn out ever more expensive A4 pacifics and models that other companies have already produced?

And how enjoyable it is to be expected to buy multiple Stephenson's Rocket models, just to obtain the one new L&M carriage that they include in each train pack!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

10 minutes ago, locoholic said:

It must be SO difficult for Hornby, now that every single British steam loco type is now available in RTR 00 gauge. What choice do they have other than to churn out ever more expensive A4 pacifics and models that other companies have already produced?

And how enjoyable it is to be expected to buy multiple Stephenson's Rocket models, just to obtain the one new L&M carriage that they include in each train pack!

Every steam loco type available in 00? Get real, there are dozens if not hundreds not yet done.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

The fact that they’ve said 2023 is going to be a catch up year is in my eyes a very good idea. They have probably still got a lot of stuff they haven’t released yet

Being open about that has certainly improved my opinion on this launch.

The real winner for me is the Bluetooth decoders. If they do everything they promise and do it well they could be fantastic. 

The streamlined B17 is exactly the kind of quirky rarity that appeals to me, and if they’re still available by the time I finish paying off my student loan in the autumn I could be persuaded by the DP1… 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There's as much in 2023 for me as 2022 but glad that they are primarily using it for catching up. I do think this is the last year for the Triang / Dublo nostalgia being given a pass before it becomes a bit long in the tooth for me. This only applies as much as the current company is also great which I think they really need to focus on.

28 minutes ago, locoholic said:

That is the whole point.

Over the last few years we have seen 4 and 6 wheeled coaches from two sources. Where are the locos to pull them ?  Take LNWR as an example. We have the coal tank, the Super D (in later form with Belpaire firebox) and the Jumbo.  There are at least two dozen LNWR designs out there screaming.  My dad was a Premier Line modeller and one of my faves in his collection was the 19" goods 4-6-0, although the humble little "Cauliflower" and the most useful - the 2-4-2 radial tanks which lasted into BR days in motor train service at places like Coventry, Bletchley and Walsall.  A Precursor tank would look great on the front of some LNWR six wheelers, then there are Prince of Wales, Claughtons etc etc from the Crewe stable.  

Chuck in stuff like the Midland 2F 0-6-0 and the "flatiron" 0-6-4 tank.  tHen there is the Southern K 2-6-0, the Aberdare, the LMS Austin seven etc etc  

28 minutes ago, locoholic said:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

Maybe in 2043, we’ll see a “Blur Vs Oasis” britpop battle train pack!

(you can have that one for free, Hornby!)

The box artwork would certainly reflect the mood of our times. And hey, they’ve got the perfect diecast-bodied motive power tooled and ready. No pesky on-sale delays! 

44CD620A-20CC-4A93-A6F8-EF13D1F08067.jpeg

Edited by OliverBytham
  • Like 18

I'd say that overall the release is a bit underwhelming but I do not normally spend much money on new Hornby stuff so that isn't an issue. What I was really hoping to see was a retooled LMS pug which would slot in perfectly with their range of small industrial locos. Instead the same old tooling gets pumped out which really summarizes this years announcements. New liveries are nice but not enough to get my wallet out. 

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, and not entirely unexpected, approach for 00 in 2023 but they've managed a bit of novelty to keep up the spirits of some of their 00 adherents and maintain some sort of place in the market.

Modern traction - they seem to be very much aiming at lower price areas having maybe more or less accepted that the can't go competing for upgrading of popular loco models such as the Class 47.  That strikes me as a sensible move although whether it will work I'm not sure with a lot of folk aiming their cash at new 'all bells and whistles' models.  Time will tell there and you never know what might creep out as the year goes on.

Steam outline is interesting with the curve ball B17 streamliner which will no doubt sell well but hopefully won't tempt them into a Year 2 excess that could go the same way as previous B17 batches and fill warehouse shelves until sold off cheaply.  But a clever choice as it looks like any other LNER streamliner and will no doubt be bought as such by many Hornby adherents.  The Big four themed models are. a bit of a tangle with what i see as a very expensive LMS tank engine although they hardly had an alternative there.  On a more partisan note I find the choice of GWR 4074 to be an odd one while 4073 appears in the usually slow moving 'shirtbutton' livery rather yjan as the premier 1923 engine.  But perhaps a deal with 'Steam' for a 'proper' 4073 lurks in the background and is yet to be announced?    To me the big problem with steam outline is the rash of HD models with very premium prices.  Although each version might well be limited in number is the market really there for that many at once (as someone else has already observed)?

A couple of 'traditional' wagons much to my surprise but maybe they think they stand a better chance in that market with bogie vehicles rather than 4 wheelers.  It will be interesting to see how that turns out and what we'll get for our money   And that is the only area in this year's new tooling announcements that I am likely to consider spending any of my money.

And that, plus the reference to 'we've got a lot of catching up to do' brings me to a different area of opinion - the stockmarket.  So far today there have been just over 100, 000 Hornby shares traded on the stockmarket and clearly there has been a lot of selling as the price has at one time today hit a new 52 week low while even today's high has been c.2p lower than lows in weeks trading.  At worst the shares have lost c.17% against yesterday's closing price.  There will no doubt be some bargain hunters about which might help the price recover but the early trading was clearly very much one involving selling.     

Quite what has sparked this is obviously anybody's guess but possibly a less than lack lustre announcement, although most likely I think reference to late deliveries from China of  2022's models perhaps creating concern about sales revenue and so on. But clearly the market started the day in a less than positive mind as far as Hornby is concerned.  But with umpteen million shares in circulation even 100,000 is still a relatively tiny number although it could suggest that some small shareholders are not exactly overjoyed.

Addendum It looks like the trading Statement is probably at the root of the impact on the stockmarket witha big leap in debt as well as refence to delayed models although overall sales were up in the quarter to end December.n

Edited by The Stationmaster
Addendum included
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1