2023 Overall Feeling

Pmorgancym

Because there's no natural place for this.

.and trying to avoid the 'meh nothing for me trap'. 

Seems a bit under whelming nothing I'll be excitedly opening a mag or clicking on the you tuber everyone loves to hate to enjoy vicariously.

The high point seems to be the Bluetooth DCC system.  Fingers crossed its as good as it seems on face value,  Hornby's past history with DCC has been a bit mixed Railmaster, the select/elite being a bit not quite there, but with TTS being good for the price it was released at.

The rest is a bit errrm, difficult to see what Simon's 'big bang' announcement would be, the Dublo Deltic I guess.  B17/5 bit niche but not niche enough to tempt out if region/era modellers to want it on their shelves. The Beetles get another year trying to shift old tooling.   Don't think the word was crying out for a celebration of the 10th anniversary of the great gathering.  

And price we're in a  world where a non sound 08 sits the wrong side of 150quid.  That's quite startling

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 298 said:

I've yet to find their annual recognition to the world of Prog Rock or music on general, unless the L&Y Pug "Prince" counts. It isn't purple tho...

Another Beatles train pack

• RMweb Premium

I was quite surprised by how much they announced given the massive TT:120 announcements. I expected much more treading of water in OO given the amount of resource that must have been invested in TT. If they get the new BT control system right that could be a real game changer. 

• Agree 2

I'm not over-excited by all the FS stuff.  Of the rest, Hornby have produced an interesting selection of locos, rolling stock and ancillary devices.  Given the big TT120 announcement in October, it's a good spread.

Now, the challenge is to get them all out on time!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Looks like my budget wont really be heading Margate's way apart from maybe a Salmon and just maybe a TTA. As commented above the transition era modeller seems to have been ignored in favour of yet more celebratory kettles and DP1. That surely massages Simon's Dublo era to the Nth degree but few others. It has to be the collectors choices and the hard core railway modeller is just left out in the cold.

Being fair the Salmon and the TTA are the appeals for me but why the Macaw B ? The BR blue preTOPS and TOPS era are crying out for a decent vac bogie bolster and a new bogie bolster C with BR brakes and correct bogies would probably have replaced the Bachmann version in many collections - the Macaw B, probably unlikely.

Locos ? Maybe a D3069 for the mid 1960s period but i see air pipes on the Hornby press release which suggests extra footplate boxes for the air compressor, who suggests No from me. .

The GWR 14xx hinted at a nice new tooled autocoach to replace the old Airfix hybrid.  But sadly no.

EDIT

Having read the news on the PC it seems Hornby are doing the Bolster C but numbered as W3xxxx instead of B943xxx and B927xxx.  The photo shows the ratchet handbrake on the preserved prototype. Guess will have to see the prototypes. 

Oh well

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Let us not forget this announcement is to please Hornby's shareholders/bankers etc.. happy not those of us who frequent these online platforms.

Minimal investment in tradition tooling and maximise your revenue from older models would seem to be a good business model. Always remembering the investment in TT:120 and this afternoon we see what investment the Hornby Group are making in Airfix.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Appreciate the logic of this being a 'catch up' year but lack of any pre-grouping beyond those 2 S&DJR locos is pretty disappointing.

What was the point of releasing those pre-grouping coaches if they won't produce any more locos to run them? Oh wait...

• Agree 1

There's a few nice GWR things there, after a few years of not having a lot.

It's the usual that I've now come to expect.  Mostly stuff pitched at collectors, a few old tooling ancient models marked up well above what you would pay on ebay for an equivalent and a newly tooled LNER locomotive.

They weren't in a good financial position a few years ago but since doing this things do seem to have picked up for them.  Not to my taste but it seems to be working for them.

• Agree 1