2023 Overall Feeling

Pmorgancym

• RMweb Gold

The thought struck me earlier that I'm expecting to spend more on Rapido Trains SR 8-plank open wagons this year than everything from Hornby, and the "everything" looks like being a single Macaw bogie bolster!

How are the mighty fallen!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

11 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The thought struck me earlier that I'm expecting to spend more on Rapido Trains SR 8-plank open wagons this year than everything from Hornby, and the "everything" looks like being a single Macaw bogie bolster!

How are the mighty fallen!

Me too. Currently 4 Mk3s and a couple of chips for Hornby (they would have had Adelaide but I already have Wellington and Globe and don't want more L&M 1sts) vs 2/3 locos, 7 brake vans and 6 wagons for Rapido. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I note, from a BBC London news programme, that today is the 160th anniversary of the London Underground.

So where are the anniversary models ?

Doesn't the 6-wheel RR Sentinel in LT livery count?

Unless it created an opportunity for yet another new edition of an A3 or A4, I doubt Hornby would bother.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Islesy said:

Guess you're going to be disappointed on at least several occasions this year then @jonnyuk 😀

We're used to disappointment by now. Five different goes at getting the Class 37 and 47 right, but we still can't buy an LNER J69, a Scottish 4-4-0 or a Southern U class.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Doesn't the 6-wheel RR Sentinel in LT livery count?

Unless it created an opportunity for yet another new edition of an A3 or A4, I doubt Hornby would bother.

Instead we're still waiting for coaches for Sarah Siddons to haul!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Only Heljan carry any responsibility for that!

Even I wouldn't dream of laying any blame at Hornby's doorstep! 😇

Just a thought, has Hornby ever produced a loco in LT livery before?

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Only Heljan carry any responsibility for that!

Even I wouldn't dream of laying any blame at Hornby's doorstep! 😇

Just a thought, has Hornby ever produced a loco in LT livery before?

John

They did a version of their pannier tank in LT red, although it was more orange than red.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A very big disappointment for me this year. Got the email saying the new (digital) issue is available. On the bottom right of the cover, next to each other, are "J69 drawn and described" and "Hornby 2023 new items". Is one being made at last?

I look inside and no, it's not. Clearly the inclusion of the J69 article this month has nothing to do with the Hornby announcement.

The effort involved in developing the new Dublo Deltic could have been put into a new "main range" loco, so it's clear to see where priorities lie. 

Not really a concern — with limited space I'm really only interested in the smaller locos in OO which Hornby don't often do apart from industrials.

Why an unusual livery on the J36 when they haven't yet done BR late crest—on a loco which lasted into 1967?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:
37 minutes ago, locoholic said:

How about a Kernow 4-TC set?

A Kernow / Bachy 4-TC set in LT livery with window bars would be perfectly good for the as-preserved Sarah Siddons to power.  And it could be with an LT / ex-GWR pannier tank at the other end which have also been available in the past.  

You want Met slam-door coaches?  Pullmans "Mayflower" or "Galatea"?  Definitely within the realm of the earlier liveries on "No.12" but I'm not going to hold any breath on ever seeing them RTR.  

From Hornby or anyone else.  

• Like 2

It does seem to be less than previous years nonetheless however I am delighted with the 2023 range.

BR InterCity 125s returning to the range Class 43 Power cars in original BR blue with the MK3s it is nice I am amazed to see Executive livery Intercity 125 again with the MK3s the correct tooling used for the Restaurant Buffet car roof vents battery boxes etc.

The Dublo Deltic prototype looks very nice!

A Class 43 (Warship) nice to see this back in the RailRoad range after an absence of 7 or 8 odd years was it? 

Railfreight OAA 45 ton wagon it's good to see this back after a very long period!

Railfreight 45 Ton SAA Steel carrier again nice to see again after so many years!

No Class 33 Railroad yet Hornby have only used the ex lima tooling once or three times between 2010 and 2012.

The Freightmaster train set looks very nice! a very beautiful Class 20 locomotive with 4! additional wagons and a engineering maintenance coach! I am happy to see Hornby reintroduce British Rail era train sets!  a newly tooled TTA tank wagons three for 2023

Shell Esso BP! Macaw B / Bogie Bolster C newly tooled very nice! Salmon bogie wagon again very nice.

It is a very nice a range! Although the catalogue cover was accidently leaked yesterday was it? I wont say where I saw it! 

• Like 2

Granted that they had nothing new to say about TT:120 not already announced, it did seem odd that they then chose to stand in front of TT:120 banners. Unless I missed something, not mentioning it at all, not even in passing, made it look like the product range whose name must never be uttered.

I still want to know what happened to Hornby: a  Model World on Yesterday TV last night but it seems we're not allowed to discuss it. My first job in TV was network directing in BBC Presentation and I can honestly say that it was oddest unexplained programme change I've ever seen. Though we now know from their tweet etc. that it was due to unexplained "editorial difficulties" it really looked, wth no explanation at either end as if the wrong file had been broadcast by an automated playout system with nobody monitoring the Channel or the sort of thing you'd see on "Chanel Nine*" if El Presidente had just been shot. In British TV I've known a few red-face moments when the wrong item has appeared, but never one that remained totally unexplained on air.

*qv The Fast Show "Bueno Estente"  & "Scorchio"

Edited by Pacific231G
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Why an unusual livery on the J36 when they haven't yet done BR late crest—on a loco which lasted into 1967?

1. Buy BR black J36 from eBay/new old stock in model shop.

2. Gently erase BR early crest/BR lettering from tender.

3. Replace with appropriate BR late crest Fox transfer (other transfer manufacturers are available.)

Or wait several years, possibly forever.

RichardT

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

There seems to be people trying to defend this year's announcement but I dont see it that way at all. If they are so far behind that they they need to curtail their production of new items or any items, their project managers have some explaining to do. They cant keep hiding behind COVID as that doesnt wash for the 2022 releases that are late. Yes the transport issues and costs were possibly unforeseeable but it seems to me that the admission of a catch up year is an admission that the marketing team got too excited in 2022 and announced too much without consulting with the people tasked with delivery and the blame for that has to lie at Mr Kohler's door. In my view it would be much better for Hornby to try the new Bachmann style of announcements. I know that doesnt placate the shareholders but would a 3 or 6 monthly announcement be better to ease the load and give Hornby more certainty on deliveries.

I was very much against the Bachmann policy of 3 monthly announcement when it came out but I'll readily admit it works and I have come to be more excited at the possibility and knowledge that I only have to wait 3 months for another dose. Yes they are still catching up on the back catalogue releases but Hornby are now in the same position with a huge list of outstanding items. It might take Hornby a year to get to position where they can be ready for such a new style of announcement but its the way forward in my view and would create a more level layer of froth rather than the huge spike of froth in January and little for the rest of the year. It might also give the social media teams more opportunity to have something useful to say.

The other point to raise is what are the market research team doing at Hornby? The wishlist poll might have only just arrived but a review of forums or talking to the modelling fraternity at shows would have picked up the pent up demand for a SR U Class, more AC electric classes, a class 120, various modern electric units, the s160 class, numerous GER/LNWR/LYR/GWR classes. But no, a small obscure LNER class with two examples that looks like Mallard is their big splash. To be fair, I suppose the retooled chassis can possibly be used as the basis for a retooled B17 in the future as the B17 is getting long in the tooth now.

Edited by ndg910
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

it really looked as if the wrong file had been broadcast by an automated playout system with nobody monitoring the Channel

No, it was an active decision not to broadcast it. No reasons have been publicly stated.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Worth noting that Hornby pushed out a Stock Exchange notice on expected results at the same time as its announcements (probably necessary given SK's opening remarks). https://polaris.brighterir.com/public/Hornby/news/rns/story/xj95vnw

As to whether that being imminent had anything to do with the Yesterday thingy (scheduled to be broadcast after market closed, with announcement before it opened) seems unlikely.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No, it was an active decision not to broadcast it. No reasons have been publicly stated.

Hi Andy

I knew that. It was the way it was handled- or rather not handled- on air that offended my professional instincts.  Sorry if that wasn't clear so I've added a clarification clause to my  post.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

I am quite happy with the 2023 range overall. The HSTs in BR colors and the HD Deltic certainly have my attention.

Aside from those there remain several items from 2022 I would like but do not have. So overall quite happy with the Hornby range of products at present.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, locoholic said:

They did a version of their pannier tank in LT red, although it was more orange than red.

Their 8750 was not their proudest moment, carrying a copper-capped chimney that the prototype never had and being distorted in all sorts of dimensions to fit the generic Jinty-but-wrong-for-a-Jinty-in-fact-AFAIK-wrong-for-anything toy train mech as well as being the standard Triang/Triang Hornby/early Hornby 2mm too high at the buffers.  Then they piled error upon misconception with the LT livery version; LT panniers were 57xx because of the lower cab roof, as the LT cut'n'cover loading gauge would not have ever allowed 8750s except on the Mainline & City section to Smithfield, and they got the LT livery hopelessly wrong.  It seemed if anything to have been influenced by the orange-brown fictitcious Great Northern and Southern livery used on the K&WVR's ex-LT 57xx in the original Railway Children tv series with Jenny Agutter (daddy, my daddy!). 

I can understand the thinking behind generic models even if I don't approve of it; it is from a production engineering pov a very obvious way to keep costs down.  But what motivated them to make such a horrible mess of the LT 8750 is beyond me, as is that behind the 3-compartment 4-wheelers, hopelessely distorted Smokey Joe pugs, and other irredeemable horrors.  Apropos pugs, I think they've missed a trick with the re-introduced L&Y ex-Dapol pug; a retooled chassis to provide the cab detail that is so visible on this loco and improved the pickup and slow running to W4 standards would have resulted in a very saleable and popular model.  Dapol's bodyshell parts are getting a bit long in the tooth but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with them.

• Like 1

Overall I am quite happy with the 2023 range. I’ve wanted a current condition FS and a Union of South Africa for a while so have both of these on pre order plus a rake of teal coaches that have been hard to find in recent years. There’s a couple of other items that I’m thinking about such as the Strathclyde 101 and a few wagons. So there’s a bit of a hit to my wallet but not as bad as it could have been if they had gone all out a released more this year. I still have so many things on pre order anyway so a more low key announcement was fine with me. Despite all the issues globally which have a big impact on releases I do think we are pretty spoilt at the moment for the amount of new stuff coming through. Some of which would have been unthinkable r2r a few years ago. 

• Like 1