Bachmann Spring Announcments 2023

Chris56057

14 hours ago, KDG said:

For me, a centre coach for the class 205 DEMU Thumper would be excellent. In NSE of course.

I've just started working on one for my Thumper, so I should think this is a dead cert! 

Bruce 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/01/2023 at 17:55, norfolkchinaclay said:

We can but hope! 🤞

I don’t think we will see a similar update to the 66 this time around but you never know. It’s the logical one to follow the 47 and 37 upgrades (unless it’s an 08!) 

Maybe, but the current climate has lots of competition and the diesel scene has the DCC: The Next Gen touch to it with all the classes, having full control of sound and lights, which is what they should have done for in the first place rather than wire in stupid switches under the engine for controlling lights. But with other companies taking on the workhorses that Bachmann like to make part of their stable range if it came to a choice between 66 and 55, then I think Bachmann would go for 66 to keep that market share alive. 

The same DCC:TNG sound and lights applies to steam which means a whole load of steam is now open for retooling again - but the lead times are longer and it takes more planning. I can see Bachmann annoucing more of what they already have as they catch up with things already announced, or from things recently in production. So the WD's, V2s, might make the scene, or more of them as a follow up. J72s too maybe. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, the Turbostar will finally arrive... and more class 158s. 

Only the first 33 Class 03s (plus ex-Departmental D2370/1 and 03129/62 in later life) had conical exhausts, so it must be time to give this small minority a rest and select a few from the 193 with 'flowerpot' exhausts instead for a change (in BR liveries, not more industrial colours like NCB black). So far there has been no Swindon-built green with wasp stripes and large numbers (since Mainline's D2179 of 1983 vintage!) and a plain BR green with 'flowerpot' has never been produced RTR using either tooling, and some lasted until the mid-1960s like this. A hole to be filled IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2023 at 12:34, Covkid said:

But surely if the Bachmann Mk1s are still as good as ever - passing muster with the much newer Hornby versions, perhaps a look at a retool of a "big four" set of vehicles ? The ex Airfix or Palitoy (can't remember) Collett GWR coaches would come out really nicely, particularly with a couple of early BR non corridors too, rounding off with a "Cyclops A44" autotrailer. 

I have around a dozen Bachmann Mk1s augmented with a couple of Hornby's, and have no intention of replacing the rakes. 

They were Palitoy Mainline, good in their day but could, I agree, do with an upgrade to current standards and possibly an extension beyond the SK/BCK that are all that have ever been offered.  GW catering vehicles including the Hawksworth refurbished Colletts must be pretty low-hanging fruit as well I’d have thought. 

Collett flat ended non-gangwayed stock would enable competition without duplication with Hornby’s 57’ bowender coaches, but may be a problem as there are several underframe lengths to tool for.  The 58’ A44 cyclops’ accompanying all-third is 55’, for example, and the B-set is 60’.  This is because the coach lengths were determined by the number of standard sized compartments rather than the compartments being stretched or compressed to fit a standard length underframe. 

But A44 cyclops; yessy pleezy!  Although I’m happy with my Comet one, I’m sure Baccy could do a better job.  I’ll eat my (figurative) hat if they actually announce one, though!  In fact I would be very (pleasantly) surprised to see any new steam-age toolings, locos or stock, from this company now; they are doing well enough out of their diesels and the existing range of earlier period stuff. 

Roll on Wednesday!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2023 at 16:14, tomparryharry said:

A vote for a Bulldog, please. 

Something from the Curry Class,  (Bombay, Madras, ) etc

Or, modern image:- Chicken Tikka Masala

OK, I'm going now....... 

Madras was a Tondu loco at one time, used for the Porthcawl-Cardiff ‘Residential’ commuter service, before my period unfortunately and in any case it is very unlikely to have penetrated the mountain fastnesses of Cwmdimbath.  Lovely engine, replaced after the war by 3100, doyen of the Collett 1938 31xx large prairie class, chosen for the combination of smaller driving wheels and higher pressure boiler that enables it to get away quickly from the main line stops.  

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 11:11, ThaneofFife said:

How close is the 81 to the class 85 apart from the side grills?   To my eye they seem very similar surely the chassis is nigh on ifentical for an easier win over a complete ground up design?   Bit disjointed on my part as an armchair tooling amateur but i say what i see.....the roof detsils too look similar.  Would really love a br blue class 81 TOPS with domino headcodes.

Also time another blue grey run of mk2fs came thru but i dread what the new RRP would be.....i suspect £99.99!

I seem to recall the 81 and 85 had identical wheelbase and bogie style and dimensions, so the chassis of the 85 could form the basis for an 81.  However, the bodyshell is different, the grilles, cab ends and roof all have subtle differences to the 85 so if Bachmann were to go for an 81 they could probably use the chassis for the 85 but need a new tool for the bodyshell.

It would however be a natural progression from the Class 85and probably a less costly extension to the electric range if the chassis block and bogies can be ported over from the Class 85 range.  It wouldn't surprise me if passive provision has been made for developing a Class 81 when developing the 85.

Personally although I do have a few ex-DC Kits AL1/81s running on modified Hornby 86 DCC chassis, and a couple of ex-Trix detailed DCC fitted examples, I wouldn't mind a few more 81s to add to the fleet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For the autumn 2022 announcements. I was pleasantly surprised with the announcement of Maroon Thompson. To extend the range with a BG and RF would be great. 

Steam wise a B16 would be good too. Will they appear? Further V2's an updated A1/A2 would be welcome.

Pity help the price though....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, davidw said:

For the autumn 2022 announcements. I was pleasantly surprised with the announcement of Maroon Thompson. To extend the range with a BG and RF would be great. 

I’m assuming that these are in 4mm.  Farish have been sitting on the tooling for their N gauge Thompsons for three years now, having produced one run in “fake teak”.  The fake teaks were lovely, and I bought loads, but even with my pre-nationalisation blinkers on I can see that these in maroon and crimson/cream would be far bigger sellers.  Hell, I’d buy another rake in crimson/cream and shift my era to 1946-1950!

This is just an open goal for Bachmann - existing tooling for a product which people buy in multiples, not just one or two.  And the N Gauge Society has been offering a members-exclusive Thompson BG, produced by Farish, in all applicable liveries for years now, so long in fact that the teak and crimson/cream versions have sold out.

We keep being told that cash-flow is important for business, but honestly Bachman’s attitude to easy wins in N is utterly incomprehensible to me.

And all of the above goes double for N gauge Mk.1s in mainstream liveries! But I’m not interested in Mk.1s, so I’ll let others rant about the lack of those…😋

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I seem to recall the 81 and 85 had identical wheelbase and bogie style and dimensions, so the chassis of the 85 could form the basis for an 81.  However, the bodyshell is different, the grilles, cab ends and roof all have subtle differences to the 85 so if Bachmann were to go for an 81 they could probably use the chassis for the 85 but need a new tool for the bodyshell.

It would however be a natural progression from the Class 85and probably a less costly extension to the electric range if the chassis block and bogies can be ported over from the Class 85 range.  It wouldn't surprise me if passive provision has been made for developing a Class 81 when developing the 85.

Personally although I do have a few ex-DC Kits AL1/81s running on modified Hornby 86 DCC chassis, and a couple of ex-Trix detailed DCC fitted examples, I wouldn't mind a few more 81s to add to the fleet.

Ive a Trix 81 running on a Bachmann 85 chassis.

minimal effort required, a bit of grinding down plastic here and there.

Bogies are the same, wheels the same. Even the holes on the roof for the pantograph align, and Ive got no mods to the LEDs working either. The wheels both have the same moulding shapes on the exterior.

If I didnt know it better i’d guess one was made from the other’s tooling.

The Trix 81 was way ahead of its time, a nice paint job and some handrail / roofing wire brings it right up.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, davidw said:

Steam wise a B16 would be good too. Will they appear? Further V2's an updated A1/A2 would be welcome.

Pity help the price though....

A great suggestion.  If Bachmann were to tool-up the Thompson BG to the correct length and make it available in BR maroon, then I would replace my fleet of the original overlength ones. :-)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

A great suggestion.  If Bachmann were to tool-up the Thompson BG to the correct length and make it available in BR maroon, then I would replace my fleet of the original overlength ones. :-)

I think the length is correct at 63'. It the Thompson matchboard BG, which is 61'. As is said they have the CAD ( n gauge) it would be a nice surprise.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've said this before but a Mk1 sleeper SLC BR blue / grey.  Probably a cinch to model one using an existing SLF or SLSTP......

And white roof charter stock ie the old Bounds Green inter city rake with FOs and a BCK.......couldnt afford em straight off the bat but still be welcome to see.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

I've said this before but a Mk1 sleeper SLC BR blue / grey.  Probably a cinch to model one using an existing SLF or SLSTP......

And white roof charter stock ie the old Bounds Green inter city rake with FOs and a BCK.......couldnt afford em straight off the bat but still be welcome to see.

An SLC is comparatively easy. I converted an SLSTP in Maroon just a renumber and first transfers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2023 at 15:07, John M Upton said:

It is interesting to see how the OO scale Bachmann section gets all frothy …….. ……I think us N scale guys …. ….have rather lost faith...

Morning guys,

Johns comment above was last Wednesday and now this 00 thread has gone to 4 pages and still nothing on the Farish page….

From my point of view it’s also interesting that there have only been two comments about new GWR stock. I think therefore that GWR modellers also fall into the Farish category, in as much as we’ve lost faith in Bachmann coming up with new products.

Production wise with China and Covid, I guess last year was a challenge to get items produced, this year hopefully will be easier. 

When Bachmann started the quarterly cycle, it was because production with several items had fallen behind. I suspect this year could see a reversal of that with more items ready to be announced.

Maybe we will get:

• New tool GWR carriages - the previous Sunshine stock dates back to mainline days, although they have been out of the catalogue for years.
  • I would like to see a new tooled 0-6-0PT with no top feed. But requests to Bachmann direct over the years seem to fall on deal ears, so realistically we are more likely to get one from Accurascale.
  • Saint class 4-6-0 would work very well alongside the new carriages.
  • Aberdare 2-6-0 would go very well alongside a new tooled wagon range.
  • Wagons… how about some high fidelity wagons, both private owner and company stock… 5 and 7 plank RCH designs. 
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive a Trix 81 running on a Bachmann 85 chassis.

minimal effort required, a bit of grinding down plastic here and there.

Bogies are the same, wheels the same. Even the holes on the roof for the pantograph align, and Ive got no mods to the LEDs working either. The wheels both have the same moulding shapes on the exterior.

If I didnt know it better i’d guess one was made from the other’s tooling.

The Trix 81 was way ahead of its time, a nice paint job and some handrail / roofing wire brings it right up.

A shame most of the pics got lost, but this is how I may just attempt the Class 81. There's a picture of the finished item. I have the BR Electric Locos in 4mm Scale book too.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Intercity charter stock would be welcome. I was hoping Hornby were going to do these after releasing one a year or so ago but that was it. 

• Like 1