Where on today’s network can you model 100% accurately?

nightstar.train

• RMweb Premium

Discussion on other threads about the lack of modern units has got me thinking. Where on today’s railway network can you actually model 100% accurately (using RTR stock)? What I’ve been able to come up with so far is:

Devon and Cornwall: class 800/802 available, castle class HSTs available, other services use BR made DMUs that are available. Mk3 sleepers and 57s available. Cross country HSTs and Voyagers available. Freight I’m not completely sure of but there are several different varieties of China Clay hoppers and tankers available, plus the ubiquitous 66. 

Scotland north of the central belt: LNER Azumas, Scotrail Inter7city HSTs both available. Local services are in the hands of 156, 158 and 170 which are all available. Mk5 sleepers now available, although there is a small gap with no 73/9 being available. Again Cross Country trains are available. Freight is mostly intermodal which can be done. 

I’m struggling to come up with any more. I thought of North Wales, but they are getting new units from CAF and I’m not sure exactly where the 175s run. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

I model the west coast mainline with RTR stock - no gaps there as I have 390, 321, 350, 150, 158 etc… 

David 

I think a ‘generic’ west coast location is ok but if you tried to pick a specific place like crewe you’d be stuck as it would be missing the likes of 175s, 197s, 331s, 195s etc

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Discussion on other threads about the lack of modern units has got me thinking. Where on today’s railway network can you actually model 100% accurately (using RTR stock)? What I’ve been able to come up with so far is:

Devon and Cornwall: class 800/802 available, castle class HSTs available, other services use BR made DMUs that are available. Mk3 sleepers and 57s available. Cross country HSTs and Voyagers available. Freight I’m not completely sure of but there are several different varieties of China Clay hoppers and tankers available, plus the ubiquitous 66. 

Scotland north of the central belt: LNER Azumas, Scotrail Inter7city HSTs both available. Local services are in the hands of 156, 158 and 170 which are all available. Mk5 sleepers now available, although there is a small gap with no 73/9 being available. Again Cross Country trains are available. Freight is mostly intermodal which can be done. 

I’m struggling to come up with any more. I thought of North Wales, but they are getting new units from CAF and I’m not sure exactly where the 175s run. 

Go west of St Austell and you would not need any freight to model the current scene accurately. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, big jim said:

I think a ‘generic’ west coast location is ok but if you tried to pick a specific place like crewe you’d be stuck as it would be missing the likes of 175s, 197s, 331s, 195s etc

I was going to say Rugby (or actually large sections of the WCML from about MK to Rugby), you don’t get any of those classes with any regularity. It’s basically 350s, Voyagers and Pendolinos. Obviously if we start talking about drags, test runs, excursions and other oddities that have maybe been seen once or twice then no, I doubt anywhere is truly doable. 

There are always going to be OTP and certain wagon variants missing too. I guess a branch worked only by some like a 153 (Cromer?) is probably about as close as true 100% fidelity. Or something like the line to an industry worked only by a single type of freight. 

Parts of East-West rail or even HS2 are modellable but somewhat boring (sorry!).

I suspect that there are countless branches all over the place that can be accurately modelled, although they might not  be particularly interesting - as in, anywhere where all services are something like a 156 or 158 or 170.

Edited by icn
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The line that passes by the back of my house.

DMU service with 150/156/158 - also 142 and 153 up until not too long ago.

Freights:

Clitheroe cement traffic with PCAs and 66s.

Colas log train with variants of log carrier by Revolution with a Bachy 70 on the front  - sometimes a 56.

GBRf 60 and 66 on Dapol MJA twins or Revolution JNAs  on the Leyland or Tuebrook stone.

DRS 37/66/68 on 6K05 IM train with any JNA/JJA/MFA/OCA/Salmon/IOA and a few other types and the soon to be released MXA Lobster

GBRF MOD train with KFA flats.

Specials with Mk1/2/3 with various steam and diesel power.

Seasonal RHTT with 37/66/68

Not quite the right type, but Dapol silver bullets on the Irvine china clay.

The primary omission is the odd appearance of an 88 - but that may change soon.

Test trains with Colas 37/HST PCs if you'll accept some of the inaccuracies of the RTR coaches.

Pretty much all of the above on the S&C as well. Although 150/156 are very rare on there now.

Swap the PCAS for Bachmann JPAs on the cement.

Plus Accurascale HYAs on the Arcow stone and up til reasonably recently MBAs or KFA/FEAs with gypsum boxes on the Newbiggin duty.

The current service uses JRAs

The NMT every 4 weeks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bluebell railway must be up there, GCR too.

Alton on the MHR / SWR must be good.

Toton yard, if you've got deep pockets and plenty of time to rust up 60’s.

Oxted Line.. class 171’s.

WoE line… 158/9’s and 159’s.

Oddly subtract the 374 and HS1 is covered, as is Dollands moor and Ripple lane, so is probably the most complete mainline in England able to model in rtr.

Of the London Terminals..

Liverpool St.. 0                  (Missing 321, 345, 710, 720, 745, 755) 

KX.. 91, mk4*, 800              (missing 180, 387, 700 + GC and HT)

St Pancras 373, 395         (missing 180, 374, 222, 360

Euston.. 92, 350, 390, mk1, mk3, mk5  (missing 319, 378, 710)

Marylebone.. 68, 165*             (missing mk3,  168)

Paddington.. 57, mk3 slep, 800 (missing 345, 387)

Victoria..  466*, mk1, mk2     (missing 465, 375, 376, 377,387,700)

Charing Cross.. 466*          (missing 465, 375, 376, 377, 707)

Waterloo.. 158/159, 450 (missing 444, 455, 458,707,707)

Blackfriars..466*                 (Missing 375, 376, 377, 465, 700)

Cannon St.. 466*               (missing 465, 375, 376, 377)

London Bridge.. 171*, 466*  (missing 465, 375, 376, 377, 387, 700, 707)

Fenchurch St.. 0                  (missing 357)

* not available in any current livery.

There is a family gap thats emerging very clear in those numbers., Electrostar.

The 700/707 looks pretty compelling too, albeit only 4 liveries, though 707’s run in pairs… and the “driving ends” are identical thus cutting the minimum skus needed by half.

of course a 73/9 or 37 could turn up at any of the above on a NRTT or RHTT, as could the NMT HST at many.

Turn the clock back 30 - 60 years 1993- 1963 onwards, the story is better for units, but your there abouts about 100% loco hauled covered.

The hobby’s contemporary developments seems to have slowed since 1994, crawled since 2008 and stopped at 2019.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 12:11, icn said:

I suspect that there are countless branches all over the place that can be accurately modelled, although they might not  be particularly interesting - as in, anywhere where all services are something like a 156 or 158 or 170.

Watford - St Albans Abbey when worked by a (single) 350. Maybe interesting to build, but not to operate.

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2023 at 23:29, Forward! said:

Not quite 100 percent achievable RTR, but you could come quite close for the Cotswold Line. Not the most exciting line for variety though! 

Will

Actually the Cotswold Line gets quite a bit of variety with various things going to and from Long Marston and at Moreton-in-Marsh you still have real signals.

• RMweb Gold

The Poacher line between Nottingham and Skegness.  East Midlands Trains/Railway with 153’s, 156’s and 158’s, the odd test and Sandite train, Summer Saturday HST’s and of course the Boston steel train with either DBC Class 60 or 66 and 21 BYA’s most weekdays.  That’s why I’m modelling it, keeping it simple.