The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Graffiti,what is the matter with people who do this.

ERIC ALLTORQUE

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2023 at 05:09, BR traction instructor said:

How much do your surroundings influence how likely you are to feel the need to e.g. daub graffiti?

I’ve been fortunate to spend the 50ish years of my life so far almost exclusively in scenically attractive/picturesque places, with little or no graffiti etc. I did spend a couple of years working in a large city in the late 1980s, commuting in daily and would describe this period as the low point of my life so far. Once I’d made the journey into the built up expanse of the conurbation my only thought was counting down the minutes before I could leave it again. At no point did I consider defacing any part of it with graffiti etc but if I had to choose a time when I was most inclined to, then that would be it.

I live in a reasonably attractive area on the edge of the Peak District, and it's not terrible on the graffiti front, but there's not none unfortunately. There does seem to be ever more litter though. Both IMO stem from a fundamental issue with being capable of any appreciation of your surroundings. I guess if you grow up somewhere where those surroundings don't have much going for them they never will mean all that much to you.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2023 at 19:35, peanuts said:

20161001-DSC_2088.jpg

Street Murals like that are often (usually?) done with the permission of the building owner though, which is a whole different thing. We had some here - the local council about a decade or so back 'commissioned' a bunch of street artists (all local, if I remember correctly) to paint murals in various underpasses around the town - and it seems to have worked, insomuch as those underpasses don't tend to get grafftitied anywhere near as much as other places in the town.

The current trend round here seems to be meaningless symbols though, with one in particular appearing on almost every road-sign in the area, often multiple times on the same sign - no artistic merit whatsoever, just a single scrawl repeated over and over again. Pure vandalism.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/03/2023 at 03:45, grandadbob said:

It's just happened in London as well:image.png.b0595fd0fbfbda2acc4772a5f91f5932.png

Just do what they do here - beat them at their own game with indigenous livery,  sure brightens the place up.

image.png.29e9de7e0051c1cd87ca8f631e829de8.pngimage.png.a72aa1707c3d63a6046ad2159a6f814e.png

image.png.86841473d1e4792108c6d5a22614c29e.png

image.png.7ebb08d4b81707ac52013d6b3b054f4d.pngimage.png.fd8da2792909afbc425dff29df8b31be.png

Drives the HO model manufacturers nuts but!

image.png.288a54edd2b6c92f1d770c27b9a65c28.png

image.png.11eff4a65ec86e25a657b28c9538baf1.png

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Nick C said:

Street Murals like that are often (usually?) done with the permission of the building owner though, which is a whole different thing. We had some here - the local council about a decade or so back 'commissioned' a bunch of street artists (all local, if I remember correctly) to paint murals in various underpasses around the town - and it seems to have worked, insomuch as those underpasses don't tend to get grafftitied anywhere near as much as other places in the town.

The current trend round here seems to be meaningless symbols though, with one in particular appearing on almost every road-sign in the area, often multiple times on the same sign - no artistic merit whatsoever, just a single scrawl repeated over and over again. Pure vandalism.

Pretty much every outback and country town has a bloody big concrete wheat silo, most now feature a mural depicting local, dreamtime  or historic scenes. There are "silo art trails" you can follow to check them out but you can end up doing many thousands of kays to see them all.

image.png.844bb7ee78fe52bb3936d5c07d49fe67.pngimage.png.c907b5946b5472f30aa3d2404fb83621.png

image.png.6da31b620cb87be5e2fd836f5987acdb.pngimage.png.b5f29274e2baa8af7729132487b95c9c.png

image.png.18b9ffe5deaa9e1ef6a3a28cfae541a6.pngimage.png.fb9d8903018ee19f56b187255c6c1adb.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7

Just an observation. You Tube has just taken me by to 1992 when Knottingley was still the centre of the Yorkshire power station operation. More rakes of MGR than you can count and not a single example of graffiti. ( Wagons are a bit dusty but otherwise straight and clean: note to the over weathering brigade.)

Fast forward a decade and the bogie hoppers from Imimgham are all ready for a place in the Tate Modern.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

One way through this is to introduce rules such as those with numberplates, etc. You can't buy new numberplates unless you can prove you have  ownership of the car. If you restrict the sale of @rse-wholes then the ready access is greatly diminished.

And yes, I'm very careful about spelling....

Edited by tomparryharry
Pore Spellinge.

On 03/03/2023 at 09:23, Bernard Lamb said:

As a kid I remember 'Kilroy was here.'

Or the classic.

How I laugh and shout with joy.

I was here before Kilroy

......and underneath.

Oh no you were not.

Kilroy was here but he forgot his pencil.

When did Kilroy give up?

Bernard

Or,

Wipe that smile right off your face,

Kilroy built the flipping place

It's like dogs peeing against lamp posts to mark their presence in the territory. Most graffiti falls into that category. The tags and shapes are meaningful to those who made them, even if just in a "look at me, I did that" sort of way.

• RMweb Premium

They tried official murals in Chichester, unfortunately the underpass where they did it (safely outside the City Walls of course!)  was wrecked with heavy tagging again within a matter of hours, the fact it is on the main walking route to/from the local college may be connected judging by the knuckle dragging teenage Neanderthals that are usually seen shrugging through there in a haze of weed and vape vapour.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2023 at 10:49, BachelorBoy said:

His conviction was overturned as "unsafe" but courts did not actually exonerate him,

Further, after he got out of jail, he went back in again twice for robbery.

I found this post useful, it added extra information for those of us who don't know the case in question...

On 03/03/2023 at 18:56, Bernard Lamb said:

I did not say they did.

He was a career criminal and as bent as a £2 note.

Nowever he was, in this case, innocent and was stitched up.

I have you down in my book as an awkward so and so.

This is not the first time that you have had a dig at me.

Please cut it out.

Bernard

...as did this, the first few lines anyway. Not sure what was so offensive or why the need for personal comments. 

Getting back to graffiti, it holds little appeal, and I'd happily go out with the power washer and remove it from my wall even if it were Banksy himself who'd done it. There is no doubt some of those who do it have a degree of talent, but it's a shame that can't be more usefully employed. As for the tags and the like, I'd very much like to see those who do that made to pay the full cost of removal or rectification, which can't be cheap on things like rolling stock. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

They tried official murals in Chichester, unfortunately the underpass where they did it (safely outside the City Walls of course!)  was wrecked with heavy tagging again within a matter of hours, the fact it is on the main walking route to/from the local college may be connected judging by the knuckle dragging teenage Neanderthals that are usually seen shrugging through there in a haze of weed and vape vapour.

It seems to be very unusual for murals to be graffitied. What was the subject?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

It seems to be very unusual for murals to be graffitied. What was the subject?

The subject matter was probably less important than the fact they were "official". The graffiti-ists probably regarded that as an attempt to take over "their" space.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, whart57 said:

The subject matter was probably less important than the fact they were "official". The graffiti-ists probably regarded that as an attempt to take over "their" space.

The subject could have been very important, if it was something 'official', such as the Coat of Arms'! 🥳