The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Graffiti,what is the matter with people who do this.

ERIC ALLTORQUE

• RMweb Gold

The original site of haddenham station, under station road bridge, there used to be ‘BRING BACK STEAM’ neatly written in white paint for years, sadly recently partly obscured by modern stuff 

other railway related stuff is class 45 numbers on various bridge parapets at Trent jn and also under neachells lane bridge in willenhall! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, big jim said:

you’re not seen the BNP graffiti at causeway head then? 
0A4DE356-7538-4A10-A91B-4F38873C2349.jpeg.0eb5bde04ff939fe92a431da87f4ee1c.jpeg

my favourite bit of retro graffiti is ‘Tojo the Dwarf’ between Sandwell and Dudley and Dudley port (pic from Twitter) supposedly been there 40+ years 

Tojo the Dwarf

those of us who remember The Mary Whitehouse experience on the TV in the early 90s will of course remember ‘M Khan is bent’ 

…in Silloth matters to me Jim.

BeRTIe

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, BR traction instructor said:

…in Silloth matters to me Jim.

BeRTIe

given the size of the town if a local decided to go tagging it wouldn’t be long before they were caught! 

thankfully most visitors are respectful of the area too, I can’t think of any incidents involving graffiti (or vandalism) in the town during the holiday seasons we’ve been up there 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There are areas in the country where street art is positively encouraged - the South Bank in London for example.

Up in Leeds there are an increasing number of areas where artists have been commissioned to paint electrical/BT junction boxes with full permission of the council and the boxes' owner:

https://goo.gl/maps/yuexsVhiM8xViwFP9

Steven

Edited by Steven B
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

While not condoning it, I remember from the 1970's-80's sprayed on the wall facing the Brighton-Lewes railway line "Long live the rebel spirit of the railway workers", at the back of the Hollingdean slaughter-house.  Strange how it sticks in the memory.

Found the only other citation on the internet:

Edited by C126
Added Twitter.com link.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2023 at 16:45, grandadbob said:

Tbh, with how prevalent graffiti on trains is in Spain, i'm surprised it didn't get tagged before it got to this country.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 28/02/2023 at 16:26, Hroth said:

The same thing happened to some new Merseyrail class 777 units before they were delivered to Kirkdale depot in 2020. Typically, Merseyrail have yet to bring their fleet of new trains into service*, they're still running the cranky old 507/508 units.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-merseyrail-train-covered-graffiti-18676844

* Reasons include Covid, manning disputes and the ongoing industrial actions.

When caught they should be made to a) Lick it off. b) spray everything they own.

Or, what my mate did when he caught one tagging his van...sprayed his face purple with his own paint!

Edited by 33C
Added letter.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As a kid I remember 'Kilroy was here.'

Or the classic.

How I laugh and shout with joy.

I was here before Kilroy

......and underneath.

Oh no you were not.

Kilroy was here but he forgot his pencil.

When did Kilroy give up?

Bernard

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, peanuts said:

some "Graffiti " from around manchester northern quarter art or vandalism ?

20161001-DSC_2049-2.jpg

20161001-DSC_2068-2.jpg

20161001-DSC_2088.jpg

It's like I said earlier - some of it demonstrates artistic talent and capability, and is thus art, and if it was done without permission then it's vandalism, no matter how artistic it is.

(personally I think the Northern Quarter is a tatty-looking dump and all the graffiti there's quite a big part of the reason why).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/03/2023 at 18:05, Bernard Lamb said:

George Davis is Innocent.

A message repeated in many locations over a very long period.

He was. But it took 36 years to obtain justice.

It would be hard to say that the usse of graffitti was wrong in this case. It did play a big part in keeping the case in the public eye.

Bernard

His conviction was overturned as "unsafe" but courts did not actually exonerate him,

Further, after he got out of jail, he went back in again twice for robbery.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

His conviction was overturned as "unsafe" but courts did not actually exonerate him,

Further, after he got out of jail, he went back in again twice for robbery.

I did not say they did.

He was a career criminal and as bent as a £2 note.

Nowever he was, in this case, innocent and was stitched up.

I have you down in my book as an awkward so and so.

This is not the first time that you have had a dig at me.

Please cut it out.

Bernard

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I did not say they did.

He was a career criminal and as bent as a £2 note.

Nowever he was, in this case, innocent and was stitched up.

I have you down in my book as an awkward so and so.

This is not the first time that you have had a dig at me.

Please cut it out.

Bernard

If I have offended you, then I am sorry,

But I looked at my post again (screen shot below)  and I cannot see what might offend you, and why I deserve such an aggressive response

It wasn't "a dig" at you. I was giving more information for readers (people under 50 probably have little idea who George Davis was.

Yes, you didn't say he was innocent. But I thought your comment was ambiguous and that readers might think he was exonerated when he got "justice". So I gave more information. After all, the graffiti did say "George Davis is innocent.

An apology would be nice.

image.png.931a60f225e7634411ba632069907506.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

From a Sectional Appendix....

Anti-Vandal (Q) trains are permitted to run over any line in Scotland even though limitations on traffic types may be published elsewhere for certain lines. These trains must be signalled by the Train Identification Code 5Z97 and where train describers are not in use, must be signalled by the special bell signal 4 - 3 - 1. Anti-Vandal trains are authorised to stop in section as required, and on other than Track Circuit Block lines must be accepted in accordance with Block Regulation 3, regulation 3.7 (Absolute Block) or Block Regulation 3.8 (Electric Token Block) as appropriate.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Every day between  1930 and 1956 the word "Eternity" written in chalk would  appear on footpaths, train platforms  and walls of Sydney. Each day a fresh batch of graffiti rendered in the same copperplate lettering style  would appear at places where there weren’t any the previous night.  It initially attracted the ire of Sydney City Council, but as the weeks become months, and the months became years, the “Eternity” graffiti became an iconic symbol of the city. Pedestrians stepped around and over the words, and street sweepers and cleaners left the elegant writings untouched.

image.png.83c0a3d727fe99236cae9e6ec4e1f1fd.png

The mysterious artist/vandal managed to keep his identity a secret until one morning in June 1956, when he was caught in the act. That morning, Reverend Lisle M. Thompson, who preached at the Burton Street Baptist Church, saw a church cleaner sneak out a piece of chalk from his pocket and write the word on the footpath.

Rev. Thompson approached the cleaner and asked, “Are you Mr. Eternity?”, to which the cleaner replied, “Guilty, your honour.”

Soon after that encounter, the Sunday Telegraph published an interview with the artist and the mystery that had baffled Sydney for over 25 years was finally revealed. The cleaner’s name was Arthur Malcolm Stace.

Born in 1885 in Redfern, Stace’s childhood and much of his adulthood was marked by abject poverty. His parents were alcoholics, and his sisters ran a brothel. In order to survive, he resorted to stealing bread and milk and searching for scraps of food in bins. At the age of 12, Stace became a ward of the state and worked briefly in a coal mine. As a teenager, he became an alcoholic and was subsequently sent to jail at 15 for drunkenness. His twenties were spent running liquor between pubs and brothels, and working as a lookout for gambling dens. During the First World War, Stace found work as a labourer with the Australian Imperial Force, but his recurring bouts of bronchitis and pleurisy led him to be discharged.

in November 1932 Stace  went to listen to a Baptist preacher named John Ridley give sermon. In a homily titled "Echoes of Eternity", Ridley declared: "Eternity, Eternity, I wish that I could sound or shout that word to everyone in the streets of Sydney. You've got to meet it, where will you spend Eternity?". The words so captivated Stace that at that very moment, Stace pulled a piece of chalk he had in his pocket, bent down and wrote the word “ETERNITY” on the church floor.

Even though he was illiterate and could hardly write his own name Arthur, legibly, the word 'Eternity' came out smoothly, in a beautiful copperplate script. “I couldn't understand it, and I still can't,” he later told in an interview.

For the next 35 years of his life, until his death  the reformed alcoholic woke up at the crack of dawn to scrawl “Eternity” in yellow chalk all over the city. 

Stace estimates he wrote his single word message an estimated half a million times over three-and-a-half decades

image.png.78f2a2daa3f535dccac1678635831ecb.png

Stace's word wound its way into Sydney's culture. Many contemporary artist incorporated the word into their own artworks, and ‘Eternity’ became a common motif in the Sydney street art scene. At the turn of the century New Year's Eve celebration it was emblazoned across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Later, that same year, it was part of the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games opening ceremony.

image.png.838869ef7b4a93e4c3350519e99c2876.png

Only two original Eternity inscriptions survive today. One is on a piece of cardboard Stace gave to a fellow parishioner, and is now at Eternity gallery of the National Museum of Australia in Canberra. The other, and the only remaining inscription in situ, is inside the bell of the Sydney General Post Office clock tower.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

How much do your surroundings influence how likely you are to feel the need to e.g. daub graffiti?

I’ve been fortunate to spend the 50ish years of my life so far almost exclusively in scenically attractive/picturesque places, with little or no graffiti etc. I did spend a couple of years working in a large city in the late 1980s, commuting in daily and would describe this period as the low point of my life so far. Once I’d made the journey into the built up expanse of the conurbation my only thought was counting down the minutes before I could leave it again. At no point did I consider defacing any part of it with graffiti etc but if I had to choose a time when I was most inclined to, then that would be it.

BeRTIe

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

I’d argue that some of the advertising plastered on the exterior of stock is as bad as graffiti and even encourages it. An early culprit… http://bescotplus.co.uk/trains/47627_Hamstead

0E74E382-1786-4AE9-A6F4-AF35733C858F.jpeg

It's disappointing that Hornby never made a trainset with that livery, more prototypical than the endless tankers/vans/wagons they've produced with fictitious liveries.  The stock with the individual sweets are particularly attractive!

Though at first glance the livery does appear to have been created by a playgroup...  😃

Actually....   A few minutes with a camera, a packet of Celebrations (anyone want the Bounty ones, can't stand 'em...), some photo-editing software and transfer paper should do the trick!

A Railroad 47, some coaches and a couple of tins of acrylic model paint will round things off.

It might be fun applying it to Hornby Playtrains. The Thunder train pack, a couple of coach packs and a remote control comes to just over 70 quid.

Hmmmm...  That went well off topic!

Edited by Hroth
Added thought...
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Another form of graffiti - OK, it isn't graffiti, but it may as well be!

I'm talking about the modern trend of movies, where they are so dark, it's painful to watch!

https://thenewdaily.com.au/entertainment/2023/03/04/disney-dark-tv-movies/?utm_campaign=Sunday Best - 20230305&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Adestra&lr_hash=4c3df784847c8a2d99f6ab30ea2f47ea

• Friendly/supportive 1

I’m firmly in the “all graffiti is vandalism” camp so I’m surprised that it’s now being offered as a form of weathering on models. It may be realistic but to me it’s a step too far and I prefer my models to reflect a more rose tinted view of the world. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hornby offered a maroon Mk1 coach plastered with modern graffiti quite a while ago.  I suppose it could be used to model a vandalised Heritage railway.

They weren't very popular and ended up being reduced heavily.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

I’m firmly in the “all graffiti is vandalism” camp so I’m surprised that it’s now being offered as a form of weathering on models. It may be realistic but to me it’s a step too far and I prefer my models to reflect a more rose tinted view of the world. 

Well that's where Rule 1 comes in. Personally I like to see layouts making a good attempt at getting the realistic details down, but there are various things that wouldn't appear on one if I built a layout of the current scene too (no palisade fencing for a start, find the huge volume of that uglier than most graffiti). I definitely find graffiti less offensive on a model than in reality though, probably because of the motivation behind it (to reflect rather than to mess up someone else's property).

• Friendly/supportive 1