Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bristol Model Railway Exhibition, 28-30th April 2023

keeley tansley

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I did look into this yesterday and was advised that, being oversubscribed with trade stand requirements, there was insufficient space remaining for some societies.

Still a highly disappointing situation given that the likes of EMGS/MERG/DEMU/NGS are quite a different offering to the traders fitting in much closer to the demonstrators in principle. 

The same thing happened last year to a slightly lesser extent, but of course space could still be found all of those preservation society stands to flog mugs etc....

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

57 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I did look into this yesterday and was advised that, being oversubscribed with trade stand requirements, there was insufficient space remaining for some societies.

Last year there was loads of space that seemingly could have been used for some more societies and demos. We'll find out next week, but I'm sure it's going to be the same this year as well. 

It feels like sometimes what shows should be about gets lost or at least hidden under financial considerations. I'd much rather see a stand from P4, EM, DEMU demonstrating modelling skills that would inspire new modellers and show what can be done to improve old Hornby or Lima models (and brand new Accurascale or Bachmann ones at that) than a 4th stand selling books or another pitch about an old wagon a preservation society are doing up that has nothing more than a few pictures and leaflets. It's honourable and important work, but feels like a poor use of spacing a modelling exhibition.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Having seen this year's floor plan, it does appear that the 'corridor' space under the balcony previously occupied by the societies and some demonstrators (MERG/DEMU/WCPR/EMGS) for the past 20 years has not been allocated to anyone this year. There may be a good reason for this and it is something that is being/will be discussed with Warners separately by EMGS and no doubt others.

I am aware that some societies have paid for stand space in the hall itself.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Still a highly disappointing situation given that the likes of EMGS/MERG/DEMU/NGS are quite a different offering to the traders fitting in much closer to the demonstrators in principle. 

The same thing happened last year to a slightly lesser extent, but of course space could still be found all of those preservation society stands to flog mugs etc....

16 minutes ago, richscylla said:

Last year there was loads of space that seemingly could have been used for some more societies and demos. We'll find out next week, but I'm sure it's going to be the same this year as well. 

It feels like sometimes what shows should be about gets lost or at least hidden under financial considerations. I'd much rather see a stand from P4, EM, DEMU demonstrating modelling skills that would inspire new modellers and show what can be done to improve old Hornby or Lima models (and brand new Accurascale or Bachmann ones at that) than a 4th stand selling books or another pitch about an old wagon a preservation society are doing up that has nothing more than a few pictures and leaflets. It's honourable and important work, but feels like a poor use of spacing a modelling exhibition.

Warners were approached by the association to be involved with the show to make it viable in terms of return against rising costs. We have a ready pool of traders who want to be at the show so that is beneficial to its longer term future. Quarts don't fit into pint pots as they say so some sort of rationalisation has to take place; maybe it's not perfect yet and communications could be a lot better but the intent is to make sure the event has a future rather than the same things being done as before and there not being a show at all.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Warners were approached by the Association to be involved with the show to make it viable in terms of return against rising costs. ................. the intent is to make sure the event has a future rather than the same things being done as before and there not being a show at all.

That is how I've heard it. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ullypug said:

Having seen this year's floor plan, it does appear that the 'corridor' space under the balcony previously occupied by the societies and some demonstrators (MERG/DEMU/WCPR/EMGS) for the past 20 years has not been allocated to anyone this year. There may be a good reason for this and it is something that is being/will be discussed with Warners separately by EMGS and no doubt others.

Have you seen a Floor Plan??

Where is that published?? I was aware of it on Facebook but it seems to have disappeared!!

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Have you seen a Floor Plan??

Where is that published?? I was aware of it on Facebook but it seems to have disappeared!!

Regards

Neal.

From one of our group who is involved with taking a layout there. 

• Thanks 1

On 21/04/2023 at 09:57, ullypug said:

Ahhh demonstrator's row, opposite the lavvies. Much as we jest, actually it was a pretty good position and you got decent footfall, ensuring not much modelling was done, chatting to people as they passed by. 

If this is unused space, seems a shame not to entertain people on their way to and from the loo. However, if it's got paying traders in it, then I can understand the economics of them helping cover costs and make it a sustainable show.

Jo

• Like 1

Very disappointed with online content this year - lots of traders shown as attending, don't have links to their websites. Seems it's the same with all layouts. If visitor numbers are down then the organisers need to look at their own efforts first.

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Any BR blue layouts going ? This doesn't tell me a lot other than the gap between the rails 

C4E69243-2F84-4721-8BD0-3695E1709F96.png

I can run a Blue Diesel on Swaynton if it makes you happy. Just ask.

But it may not be quite what you are looking for.😇

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Any BR blue layouts going ? This doesn't tell me a lot other than the gap between the rails 

Good heavens, it’s you again!

Do you play any other tunes?

I’m sure I have heard this one before somewhere…..

Still, your signature says it all really doesn’t it?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope the show goes well - and that everyone involved enjoys it (well everyone who goes - which doesn't look like including me).

I can't get there - I don't have access to a car - and, as for any access to the venue using buses - well, it only looks easy if you've got access to a car.

Edit:  Last year, I was able to get a lift - which is why I was able to be there. Unfortunately, not an option this year - the lack of usable public transport links between Bristol Parkway and Thornbury Leisure Centre makes it impossible for me to get to the venue.

Future years will need to be "on decision" until much nearer - and are likely to depend on bus links / lack of them.

It says something about transport links when people like me can get to and from events a long way from home - London (Ally Pally) - the Birmingham area ("Warley show" at the NEC) - even Manchester (a model tram event a few years ago) - but not the northern outskirts of Bristol, about half an hour's drive away.

This time, there's another issue for me - my home phone and broadband basically haven't existed for a while. I haven't had a phone line at all - whilst my internet has been down for most of this time (and at dial-up speeds when it has put in a guest appearance).

My issue isn't with my phone / BB reseller - but OpenRetch have really jerked me about, making and breaking no end of appointments to actually fix an underground line fault ,which they acknowledged 3 weeks ago today.

It doesn't help that I live on the edge of a town - although the nearest car parking to my house is a few corners away (which would rule out an electric car if I wanted or could afford one), the housing estate I live on actually has postcodes from a nearby village!

For much of the UK, OR have competition, in the form of Virgin Media. Unfortunately, Virgin don't seem interested in areas like mine - so resellers tied to OR are "the only game in town". Somehow, I can't imagine OR being too worried about their local monopoly ... .

The only upside for me is that I'll have no option but to watch the snooker - perhaps also do thorough quality control testing on some "nourishing beverages". I know - it's hard work - but it needs to be done.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

'Coppell', all the way from Cumbria has loads of BR blue. It a huge fiddleyard so their blue diesels and 25k electrics could keep you occupied most of the day.

We will have some blue locos but they arent BR. Plenty of Czech locos and I think all with sound now (turned down a fair bit of course). We will be in the far hall.

'Dobris' is loaded into the car ready for an early start this morning.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

'Coppell', all the way from Cumbria has loads of BR blue. It a huge fiddleyard so their blue diesels and 25k electrics could keep you occupied most of the day.

We will have some blue locos but they arent BR. Plenty of Czech locos and I think all with sound now (turned down a fair bit of course). We will be in the far hall.

'Dobris' is loaded into the car ready for an early start this morning.

Thank you , that's simply the sort of info i'm after 

Went to the show today. It seemed busy without being overcrowded which was good. There were a large number of trade stands covering a wide range of items.  There were however a lot of stands just selling new and secondhand boxed items and these were rather repetitive - in other words too many of this type of trade stand. 
The mix of layouts was very good and pretty much all were interesting with some very good modelling on display. catering was done but busy at times. All in all a good show and well worth visiting.

• Agree 1

Have to say I had a wonderful day today (although my wallet is aching!). It was the first exhibition I went to since my gramp passed away. We always used to go to them together. Strangely enough it was also his birthday today - he would have loved Copenhagen fields! Mind blown by the detail there. 

Edited by Mitch91
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Well like Chris M I would agree the mix of layout and scales were good, and I have details of three that hopefully will appear at Stafford in 2025

Eltel 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Hopefully the parking field isn't a quagmire.

Attended yesterday and given the quantity of cars in the field, it was ok…unless it rains.

One thing to note however - the further you are directed to the back it gets quite bumpy so watch your front bumpers and underside trays.  Also it’s evidently a dog walking field so watch your feet…

• Agree 1