The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

15 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I would suggest you continue to concentrate on locos built in reasonable numbers which spanned the period pre-group through to BR, rotating releases through the Big Four, so next one LMS, perhaps something like a MR Johson 2F, then SR etc

This sounds like a solid plan. Personally I’d love them to make a GWR Saint but having (so far) only done the Manor and J69 the GWR have had their go for now. Accurascale need a balanced range so it makes sense to go LMS or SR next. 

It’s also a good point on built in reasonable numbers. If we look at Accurascales Diesel and Electric range all have been of prototypes that have been in use for some sometime, operated over a wide area and have a range of detail and livery options. The J69 shows that they are applying the same thought process to steam locos. 

On that basis the 8F is a good shout. Time period 1935-1968, built during the war by companies other than LMS and with an operating range that stretches all the way to Iraq. 

Edited by AndrewB7585
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AndrewB7585 said:

This sounds like a solid plan. Personally I’d love them to make a GWR Saint but having (so far) only done the Manor and J69 the GWR have had their go for now. Accurascale need a balanced range so it makes sense to go LMS or SR next. 

It’s also a good point on built in reasonable numbers. If we look at Accurascales Diesel and Electric range all have been of prototypes that have been in use for some sometime, operated over a wide area and have a range of detail and livery options. The J69 shows that they are applying the same thought process to steam locos. 

On that basis the 8F is a good shout. Time period 1935-1968, built during the war by companies other than LMS and with an operating range that stretches all the way to Iraq. 

I’m with you on most of that. Like you, I’d love a Saint because the existing model is so hopeless. The Hawksworth County isn’t quite so bad but would also be welcome. However, whilst the 8F might be a good choice, the existing model isn’t as bad as the two GWR items mentioned. I’d sooner see something not modelled before, such as a Claughton or an Austin 7. That is all very subjective on my part but what about the Southern? There is a yawning gap there and that is the U family. The variety would make for expensive tooling as there isn’t much (from a model tooling point of view) in common between the U and U1* but that would be a good place to strike next.

Personal opinion as always, coloured by my lococentric views and my interest in tracing locomotive development rather than recreating a particular time period.

* Not to mention the variations within the U Class proper.

• Like 5

Personally speaking, there's one loco that would get me reaching for the wallet, no questions asked at announcement; one that would fill a particularly noticeable gap in the LNER line up- that being the ex-NER S3-class mixed-traffic 4-6-0's designed by Sir Vincent Raven, otherwise known as the LNER B16's. The B16/1's in particular would have the widest range of use, from NER up to BR Late Crest.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, after careful consideration, I've now cancelled my order for the early BR crest example. 

It was just a bit niche. I'll wait for a proper East Anglian example and reorder. 

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Nah!! Let's have something that's NOT been done before please

I'd buy a U1 if they did it, but I don't think it would sell particularly well.  Perhaps I should get around to finishing the kit I started a couple of decades ago, but it does have rather a lot of valve gear to assemble.

They should do a mixture of big engines and little ones, and I'd also buy the cute little Fowler dock tanks which could go round dinner-plate curves, but again I think market demand would be fairly modest.  Which is I'm not suggesting they go for my personal favourites.

image.png.e3f0df46b48d72d3f9ec67b15f60f471.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... and let's have more ideas* in the More Ideas thread rather than this one p'raps !!?!

* or repeated ideas

Hi @Wickham Green too,

Good shout. We love hearing your ideas everyone, but perhaps we can post them here and leave this thread for the Buckjumper?

We do read it and take notes!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

10 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Can I ask, how far north in Scotland did they roam?

According to the “BR database” site, Aberdeen Kittybrewster shed (61A) had a few at different times in BR days, as did Aberdeen Ferryhill (61B).

Since Kittybrewster had subsheds north of Aberdeen (Fraserburgh, Macduff and Peterhead) it’s possible they were actually shedded at those places. If so, the direct answer to your question would be ‘Fraserburgh’.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, after careful consideration, I've now cancelled my order for the early BR crest example. 

It was just a bit niche. I'll wait for a proper East Anglian example and reorder. 

Rob

L&NER Lined Black one is listed on BR Database as having been shedded at Norwich. And possibly Melton Constable. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Crouchja32 said:

L&NER Lined Black one is listed on BR Database as having been shedded at Norwich. And possibly Melton Constable. 

Thanks Crouch.

Unfortunately, I have a little known medical condition which causes me to sneeze uncontrollably if I buy any locos displaying the letters L N E R

GER era or BR ex-Great Eastern branchlines and backwaters are okay though. Therefore J15s, appropriate Buckjumpers and an E4 or an ex-GER 2.4.2t when produced would be fine. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Bl**dy heck - one in Western territory - poh dear I really must resist as I'm saving up for other things already.

As best I can tell at least 3 were sold to companies in Wales. They were all from the group of 13 J69s and 1 J68 that went to the WD in 1940.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Nah!! Let's have something that's NOT been done before please

But the 8F will sell unlike some obscure loco from the past.

The re-released Hornby item is well past its sell by date mechanically and detail wise.

Additionally, so many variations, not forgetting those that went overseas as WD stock!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, pH said:

According to the “BR database” site, Aberdeen Kittybrewster shed (61A) had a few at different times in BR days, as did Aberdeen Ferryhill (61B).

Since Kittybrewster had subsheds north of Aberdeen (Fraserburgh, Macduff and Peterhead) it’s possible they were actually shedded at those places. If so, the direct answer to your question would be ‘Fraserburgh’.

just wondered as @class26 is doing the Far North Line, just wondered if one ventured up that far?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GM36 said:

As best I can tell at least 3 were sold to companies in Wales. They were all from the group of 13 J69s and 1 J68 that went to the WD in 1940.

WD 70091 worked over the Shropshire & Montgomery Railway, here pictured on 21.6.1947...

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 13.51.37.png

Edited by Islesy
Image corrupted.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Islesy said:

WD 70091 worked over the Shropshire & Montgomery Railway, here pictured on 21.6.1947...

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 13.51.37.png

Now we're talking. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Islesy said:

And, even stranger possibly, at Wimpey Cardiff...

Wimpey No 75.jpg

!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

.... I have a little known medical condition which causes me to sneeze uncontrollably if I buy any locos displaying the letters L N E R ...

Odd that - I have a very similar condition I suffer from on the East Coast nowadays .... A ..... AA ......... AAA ........... AZUMA !

.... anyway, back to Buckjumpers.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

Personally speaking, there's one loco that would get me reaching for the wallet, no questions asked at announcement; one that would fill a particularly noticeable gap in the LNER line up- that being the ex-NER S3-class mixed-traffic 4-6-0's designed by Sir Vincent Raven, otherwise known as the LNER B16's. The B16/1's in particular would have the widest range of use, from NER up to BR Late Crest.

How much would you be willing to pay? There are two 4mm kits on the market and several very good professional builders and painters who would undertake such a commission.

Likewise J68 and J69 kits have been available for decades, but it seems that increasingly people don't want to actually make the models they desire.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1