Rapido announcing new project 12 Thursday

Legend

• RMweb Premium

Just seen on Facebook that Rapido Trains UK will give a first glimpse of an exciting new project 12pm Thursday. Posted by “Underground Eric “ but that might just be coincidental 

Edited by Legend

• Legend changed the title to Rapido announcing new project 12pm Thursday
  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Fishoutofwater said:

12am = midnight

12pm = midnight

unlikely announcement time

more likely 12 noon

pedant mode off

Cheers . Now corrected 

• Legend changed the title to Rapido announcing new project 12 Thursday
24 minutes ago, Fishoutofwater said:

12am = midnight

12pm = midnight

more likely 12 noon

pedant mode off

For the uber-pedantic, in effect neither "12 o'clocks" are AM or PM, since they are at the start or end of both AM & PM.

But for sanity 12AM is usually accepted as midnight, & 12PM as midday, so there was nothing wrong with the original time given of 12PM.

The qustion of which day 12AM refers to might be ambiguous, though, such as the time as an HGV driver I turned up at a big Tesco RDC warehouse with a "12 midnight" booking, only to be told at the gate that it was booked for 12 midnight the next day - i.e. my company had sent the delivery 24 hours too early!! 🙄🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

This is where the 24-hour clock notation is superior - '00:00' is midnight, starting a new day (the previous day ending at 23:59), and '12:00' midday.

As for the announcement, maybe it's O Scale? Let the speculation/wish-listing/frothing begin..... 🥳

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

11 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

12am = midnight

12pm = midnight

more likely 12 noon

pedant mode off

12pm is never read as midnight: always mid-day.

Think about 12:00:01 (ie one second after noon).  It is after noon and therefore post meridian.   I agree that using 12 midnight or 12 noon is clearer, but if you are going use 12 am and 12 pm, 12 am is always midnight and 12 pm is always noon.  If you are going to be pedantic, at least be correct.

Anyway, we now only have three hours to wait, for what looks like a 00 model with a London, possibly London Underground connection.

• Round of applause 3

10 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

The qustion of which day 12AM refers to might be ambiguous, though, such as the time as an HGV driver I turned up at a big Tesco RDC warehouse with a "12 midnight" booking, only to be told at the gate that it was booked for 12 midnight the next day - i.e. my company had sent the delivery 24 hours too early!! 🙄🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

This is where the 24-hour clock notation is superior - '00:00' is midnight, starting a new day (the previous day ending at 23:59), and '12:00' midday.

In a previous job, many years ago (more years ago than I care to remember!), I regularly travelled to The Netherlands on the overnight ferry from Harwich. The departure times stayed the same in GMT all year round, they simply advertised them as an hour later during BST. So, for example, the 07:00 GMT departure was the 08:00 BST departure in summer and the 15:00 GMT departure became 16:00 BST. But the 23:00 GMT departure, in summer, because the 23:59 BST departure, just to make sure the date remained the same as in GMT.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

1 hour ago, Fishoutofwater said:

by you perhaps but not by me

Try setting your alarm clock for 12pm and see when it goes off - that's the convention that the majority of people use.  I think mine will go off just as Rapido make their announcement! 🙂  That way I won't miss it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

Think about 12:00:01 (ie one second after noon).  It is after noon and therefore post meridian.   I agree that using 12 midnight or 12 noon is clearer, but if you are going use 12 am and 12 pm, 12 am is always midnight and 12 pm is always noon.  If you are going to be pedantic, at least be correct.

Anyway, we now only have three hours to wait, for what looks like a 00 model with a London, possibly London Underground connection.

Exactly so and precisely the case in railway timetables for many years.  There was at one time a 12.00am sleeping car train from Marylebone to Manchester Piccadilly and if you made a reservation on it the card read  '12.00am on the night of ......  '  Easy enough to understand when you were used to it on a regular basis and don't forget a time at night would be shown as 12.03 etc am so obviously midnight was obviously 12,00 am.  Simples.

Now I wonder what is coming from Rapido this time - and it might even be GW but I thinl SE&CR or industrial might be more likely? 

• Agree 1

Well I never expected so much froth over time...

Maybe its a range of radio signal NSE style station clocks with a sound fitted option for the clunk as the flaps roll over. Of course as it all rolls back at midnight it will wake everyone in the house up!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, rapidoandy said:

Well I never expected so much froth over time...

Maybe its a range of radio signal NSE style station clocks with a sound fitted option for the clunk as the flaps roll over. Of course as it all rolls back at midnight it will wake everyone in the house up!

Or maybe Jason insisted you do a Turbotrain in 00 🤣

• Funny 1