Dapol announce all new class 66 in N

packetlos

All New N Gauge Class 66– Dapol

Specification

• Smooth running 5 pole next generation motor     
  • All wheel pickup             
  • All wheel drive via re-worked smooth drive low maintenance mechanism             
  • Die-cast chassis            
  • DCC Sound ready, Next-18 decoder socket (recommended 6 function decoder)
  • Independent directional front/rear main lighting control—day and night lighting with four light clusters being modelled             
  • Independent directional front/rear cab lighting control          
  • Main lamp and cab lighting override switches for DC users (Independent front/rear control)  Two cab window designs modelled    
  • Removable self-centring close coupling mechanism with NEM pockets    
  • Standard NEM fitting N Gauge couplers             
  • RP 25 wheels    
  • Newly tooled highly detailed body and fittings  
  • Accessory bag with etched nameplates and detailed buffer beam fittings        
  • Clip-fit body for easy DCC fitting           
  • All Factory fitted DCC Locomotives will be fitted with Dapol’s new Imperium Next 18 decoder   
Edited by packetlos
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's strange how many people complain about a lack of N gauge, when something pops up - tumbleweed.

This is a very timely and welcome announcement from Dapol, the 66 is a staple of the past 23 years so if you are modelling the recent railway you are going to need several of them and the models that currently exist from Dapol and Farish are long past their sell by date.

The specification looks impressive, I note there is no stay alive, but RevolutioN's Ben noted earlier today, a big co-co with a diecast chassis probably shouldn't need one.

Not for me, it's 25 years later than my cut off, but a welcome model in N

• Agree 7

Great news! Both the Dapol and Farish 66s are good but definitely showing their age now.
I do hope there’s plenty of weight in the new one, my only gripe with some of Dapols recent offerings is the lack of tractive effort because of how light they are. 

Graham 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This is a great announcement, not one of interest to me. It shows further how Dapol are willing to look at some of the oldest loco's in their range and develop them further. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It's strange how many people complain about a lack of N gauge, when something pops up - tumbleweed.

I don't think that's the sound of tumbleweed you hear, but the collective rolling of eyes at yet another Dapol N Gauge model announced whilst we languish in year 11 of the Light Pacific saga.

Tom. 

• Like 3

This will be an interesting one to watch, and a very sensible decision. 

That close coupling situation will cause problems though, they don't work on locos, the coupling needs to be on the bogie.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It’s because Dapol announced it…. now if it had been Revolution or Farish announcing, I think you’d find there would be a lot more excitement…. 😜 !

…. only time will tell what Dapol come up with this time - maybe they can match the class 68 standards this time around…. on paper it sounds like it should far exceed the quality of their 68, but with Dapol you just never know what you’re gonna get until it’s in your hands (and running; or not!).

At least with Adam Warr on board the livery should be much better and no massive slip-ups!

I think this one is a ‘wait and see’…. no pre-ordering on my part….

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

There’s an active thread on the N Gauge Forum, and there’s been lots of debate in the N Gauge specific Facebook groups. This place is so heavily skewed toward OO that there are a fair few N gauge modellers simply not here.

Back on topic this is an exciting announcement. The market is crying out for a high spec 66, they’re so ubiquitous. Probably my last choice of manufacturer to announce one, but hey. Seems nailed on that at least one will end up in the collection. 

Bit of a shame to see yet another 779; I’d have done 004 as Climate Change Hero or one of the triple grey ones or any of the other ‘interesting’ liveries we’ve not yet seen. 

• Like 2

Let me just say I am very glad to see 66779 in this release. It needed the upgrade just as much as any of them. Especially as these are the first with the newly designed chassis and body tooling.

Not everyone has one of the previous versions and I for one, will be pleased to get my first 66779 ! Complete with the new chassis, Next18 and sound designed in, which no previous version in this scale has.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2023 at 11:46, woodenhead said:

You posted this response less than an hour after the OP. Maybe it’s not so much a case of tumbleweed, more like people were doing other things with their Saturday morning and didn’t know anything about it yet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

You posted this response less than an hour after the OP. Maybe it’s not so much a case of tumbleweed, more like people were doing other things with their Saturday morning and didn’t know anything about it yet.

Still saddened by the fact most of the comments are about my comment rather than the model itself.

If this had been Accurascale, RevolutioN or even Farish there would have been more chat about the model, although with the latter we can guarantee most of the comments would focus on the price. 

If N gauge has become marginalised to Facebook that’s a shame too.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

If this had been Accurascale, RevolutioN or even Farish there would have been more chat about the model, although with the latter we can guarantee most of the comments would focus on the price. 

The three manufacturers you mention are, to varying degrees, much better at publicity than Dapol seem to be, so maybe this just hasn’t reached a big enough audience yet. I would certainly have commented on this project but it’s not my era.

It’s a useful announcement and (if free of glaring errors) will undoubtedly sell very well but I’m not surprised there isn’t a lot of fuss as it is a new version of an already fairly decent model. It’s a bit like a new loaf of bread - you need it, you eat it, but it doesn’t have the same excitement as a soufflé arriving, for example.

The close coupling on the loco is a little worrying though. 

David 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

It’s a useful announcement and (if free of glaring errors) will undoubtedly sell very well but I’m not surprised there isn’t a lot of fuss as it is a new version of an already fairly decent model. It’s a bit like a new loaf of bread - you need it, you eat it, but it doesn’t have the same excitement as a soufflé arriving, for example.

The close coupling on the loco is a little worrying though. 

David 

Yet someone announces a Deltic, a 50 and a 37 - all with fairly good models (better even than the current Dapol v new Dapol class 66) in existence and people are going crazy with excitement.

Are N gauge modellers so jaded now they cannot even raise a whoop for a new model.

When Farish do finally bring us some Mk1s, it will be more a case of 'about time' than any excitement.

This was described as having been announced by Dapol at Ally Pally, but despite spending quite a bit of time looking in their display cases, it certainly passed me by at the show!

It seems a bit odd that the press release type announcement just has livery diagrams and this description of the new features. There’s not even a hint of what the improvements to the body moulding will be? You’d think they would have at least released some CAD renders of the new design …

Probably fair that the reaction to the announcement has been a bit of a metaphorical shrug when Dapol haven’t really given us any detail to get excited about …

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Are N gauge modellers so jaded now they cannot even raise a whoop for a new model.

Well, to be honest with you, where Dapol is concerned my answer is yes. Exactly half of the Class 50s that I ordered went back for replacement because of various manufacturing issues (broken bogie frames and loose windscreen units mainly) and while the model was streets ahead of the old Farish version, I still think they didn’t quite capture the look of the real thing. And I cancelled my order of twenty of the Yeoman JHA wagons having read about the various issues they had. So yes, any announcement from Dapol gets a lukewarm response from me until I know what it’s really like. 
And that’s a shame because some of their stuff is rather good. I do like their Grampus, Dogfish and “silver bullet” tank wagons, the HST sets and the Class 33 and 58 locos too. When they get it right they can produce some very nice models. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Still saddened by the fact most of the comments are about my comment rather than the model itself.

If N gauge has become marginalised to Facebook that’s a shame too.

There are about 3 comments relating to yours? Not sure what the issue really is?

As for “marginalised” to a platform with a billion users…? Err ok. 

I agree with the previous comments though - with nothing but some livery artwork and a vague spec sheet to go on at the moment it is a bit meh. When there’s a 3D print or even a CAD render or EP in some guise it’ll be more interesting. Right now it feels like a total land grab to me. Particularly given Dapol’s ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

• Agree 1