Bullied Q1's west of Salisbury 1948 -1960

Mrhoppity

• RMweb Premium

(slightly off topic, but may I please say Thank You for the thread title that sufficiently qualified the 'Q1' so as not to generate more posts about 'Which Q1' than about your actual query)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mrhoppity said:

Does anyone know if the Bullied Q1's ever worked west of Salisbury in the period 1948 - 1960?  

In all my  8 yearsish of research into workings West of Salisbury towards Exeter, I have never seen a pic of, or reference to a Q1.

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

In the early BR period there was a regular weekly working of one of Eastleigh allocated Q1s on a Redbridge to Exmouth Junction P.W.Engineer's train, the loco was stabled at EJ over Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights being used to some extent on local workings including the EJ-Templecombe pick-up goods and return on the Monday, and then returned to Redbridge on the Tuesday. Subsequently the weekly PW train ran through to Okehampton still worked by an Eastleigh Q1. I believe that this, apart from very occasional specials, was the only working of a Q1 west of Salisbury.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

Ah yes but, that's 1963 and may only be a shunt move within station limits.

They also worked Summer Saturday extras to&from the WR so this is equally likely to be one having been turned round at 72B proceeding to take up its return working  …e.g. Cardiff /Bristol-Portsmouth.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

They also worked Summer Saturday extras to&from the WR so this is equally likely to be one having been turned round at 72B proceeding to take up its return working  …e.g. Cardiff /Bristol-Portsmouth.

But the headcode it's carrying is Waterloo-Exeter so I would have thought it's more likely to be taking a freight back to London. 

Here's another photo of a Q1 heading away from Lymington.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Bulleid-Q1/i-GFdPnJ5/A

Edited by RFS
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, OFFTHE RAILS said:

I have photos of Q1s west of Salisbury:

1. Between Dorchester and Weymouth - passenger train 1950 BR

2. At Bournemouth 1948 

3. At Branksome 1948 - passenger train

I'm not sure that workings on the Bournemouth & Weymouth route were in the OP's mind. I think the WoE main line was his location of interest. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bécasse said:

In the early BR period there was a regular weekly working of one of Eastleigh allocated Q1s on a Redbridge to Exmouth Junction P.W.Engineer's train, the loco was stabled at EJ over Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights being used to some extent on local workings including the EJ-Templecombe pick-up goods and return on the Monday, and then returned to Redbridge on the Tuesday. Subsequently the weekly PW train ran through to Okehampton still worked by an Eastleigh Q1. I believe that this, apart from very occasional specials, was the only working of a Q1 west of Salisbury.

Well I never knew that, so thanks. However my interest is only from around 1958 to 1965 and I've not really looked at Q style Goods workings or really even weekday workings, when there were far more Goods than on my Summer Saturday TT proposed workings. If there was one working down that way during '58 to '63 ish when that WSR lot barged in, I could borrow my son's to play with! 

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, OFFTHE RAILS said:

In which case he might have been more explicit....

Or maybe he is just inexperienced and needs encouragement! Takes all sorts does this hobby.

It could be that he supposes that your locations are actually SW of Salisbury? Who knows or who really cares eh?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Geography
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Or maybe he is just inexperienced and needs encouragement! Takes all sorts does this hobby.

It could be that he supposes that your locations are actually SW of Salisbury? Who knows or who really cares eh?

More south than west, in fact ............. personally I don't think 'west of Salisbury' is in the least ambiguous : its anywhere you get to - by train in this case - if you go west from Salisbury.

• Agree 3