N Gauge Society Show - York Railway Museum - 13/14th May 2023

Ian_M

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise it was in the conference centre. Flyer just says in the NRM and I was thinking it was going to be in the main hall amongst the 1:1 exhibits 

5 hours ago, RichardT said:

I don’t recall York Racecourse publicising the Easter model railway show, or the Leamington leisure Centre mailing its gym users to tell them about TINGS.

TINGS isn't held at the Leamington leisure centre, it's held at The Warwickshire Exhibition Centre - and as organisers, they market the show like crazy. Not enough it appears as you've plainly never been to it. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Possibly a stupid question but where exactly is the conference centre? Is it just a room inside the main museum or is it another building?

Been to the NRM loads of times and honestly never noticed any signage for a conference centre....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it's next to the Great Hall

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/sites/default/files/2023-01/22236 MKT_NRM Map Update_V2.pdf

Unsure if you need general admission tickets to access it (I know they are free)

Looks like there are 2 conference rooms

https://www.hiretherailwaymuseum.com/space-type/conferences/

Someone on the N gauge forum has said there will be a separate entrance for the exhibition, though I'm not sure where.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2023 at 12:14, arran said:

While i don't expect them to spend cash on doing it but to update the website cant be hard as all venues i know and have run show at updated their sites to say we were on .

And there you are:

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/n-gauge-society-exhibition

So, you were wrong and so was I. Quits?

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
Link
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The NGS show is being held within the NRM Conference rooms. Access is via doors to the side of the current main museum entrance (what I call the "Old" entrance near the loco wheelset):

https://goo.gl/maps/LMNDgC8jVXm3bkLW7

(the white car in the Google Streets image is parked outside the conference suite entrance. The main museum entrance is through the doors between the two posters.

There will be signs and marshals inside and out to show you the way.

Whilst entrance to the show is free for NGS members, NGS and non-NGS members will need to go to the NGS pay desk at the entrance to the conference suite to collect a wrist band that will allow you to come and go as you please throughout the day. You will not be allowed access to the show rooms without having first collected a wristband!

Lectures are at the same times on both days (subject to everything running on time!).

Steven B. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For those attending the NGS event at NRM York by car, below is a nice clear map of the  excellent York Park and Ride system.  As you'll note, the Rawcliffe Bar service (Green Route) stops right outside the NRM, and so this P&R is ideal for the event.

In addition the blue turquoise, white and red routes both stop at the Station entrance.

Best

Scott.

image.png.ab68184f6dda6b028c7917872bdd3699.png

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Southernfrance said:

Yes, if you look at their website it gives full details.

I did visit the web site and it didn’t make clear that the same program was running on both days at identical times. I’ve been to society shows (other scales), where lectures have been available either only one day, or at different times, hence not assuming and asking the question.

Quick reminder that you're all very welcome to come and visit Train Trax HQ on Friday afternoon or Monday morning for trains and cake. Details here: https://traintrax.co.uk/2023/04/19/invitation-to-train-trax-hq

All being well, Mr Hiroshi Kato [President of Kato] will be dropping in on sometime first thing Monday morning, so that's an ideal time to come along if you're still in York.

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up, there seems to be some sort of issue with the NRM limiting the number of people entering the show, so the queue is currently pretty lengthy and slow moving. 

Suspect this is outside the control of the NGS but people should be aware there is likely to be a long wait to get in. 

Tom. 

Presumably there is a maximum capacity for the conference centre. If they've already reached that then the NGS is a victim of their success in attracting visitors.

But I wonder what the capacity for the centre is.

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Just a heads up, there seems to be some sort of issue with the NRM limiting the number of people entering the show, so the queue is currently pretty lengthy and slow moving.

Suspect this is outside the control of the NGS but people should be aware there is likely to be a long wait to get in. 

Yeah, the que to get in stretches from the entrance to just in front of the Countess of York. 

Screenshot_20230513-1222302.png.bcbbc258b704a4e063ebc3de5e0517e7.png

Parking is also an issue as the NRM car park was full and the pay and display car parks only have a maximum stay of 2hrs.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

9 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Regrettably, another nail in the coffin of what was going to be an interesting weekend over here. I'm not standing outside for an indeterminate period.

Yeah, we just gave up in the end. Because It's going to probably take longer than 2hrs to get in.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

After queuing for an hour and finally getting in I have to say the conference centre is just too small a venue for a show. Especially with the huge chunk of the museum closed for refurb.

• Agree 1

One way to solve this problem is to have timed entry and them limit the amount of time people spend in the exhibition to say 45 minutes. So when people turn up they can be given an entry time ticket and at least they can look around the rest of the museum or have a coffee etc rather than just waiting. 

Too late for today perhaps, but possible for tomorrow. I am planning to go tomorrow with pre-booked train tickets so will see what improvements if any have been made.

Regards 

Nick 

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

It was great to see lots of faces in the conference centre. 

My understanding is that the venue made a significant number of last minute changes to both the space available and the admissions processing that caused issues the NGS could not have foreseen. 

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see everyone yesterday, those who made themselves known from RMweb. Hope to see a few more today. Very busy show as mentioned earlier. Kensington Olympia largely behaved itself. The faults found after setting up Friday were in the main not there on Saturday morning……electrical fairies must have been hard at work!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomJ said:

Any updates on queues etc today? Live fairly local and wondering if it’s worth visiting? Not a fan of queuing for a couple of hours

Much better today, seems to be a bit less footfall. No queue at present. 

Tom. 

• Thanks 1