Bachmann Class 40 40145 BR large logo blue, DCC ready - Key Publishing

Philip Jackson

13 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

Is it me or does there look a big gap between boggie and body 

cheers Craig 

It is a compromise for running to OO scale standards.  The bogie frame needs to have a little tolerance to run up and down trainset gradients 

• RMweb Gold

I am afraid that photo shows the age of the tooling. Giant nose seam, a traditional bogie (unlike the Kernow Bullied) leading to a big gap between body and bogie, basic bogie detail, poor glazing etc. 

Somebody really needs to tool up a Class 40 to modern standards. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

This is an interesting one, lots of people expecting an Accurascale class 40 and to be honest I half expect one at some point, it's and EE machine, it hauled coal trains and lots of variations.

But we have the KR Model still at EOI and Key Publishing are now doing 40145 with Bachmann.

Like BRM I would expect that Key have their ears attuned to whatever whisperings come from manufacturers, so if there was an Accurascale model about to launched then I would expect they'd partner up with them over an older Bachmann model version.  That wouldn't be a preference matter, it would be simple economics, if Accurascale do a class 40 it will be the model where modellers would be expecting specials to come from and not from an older tooling.

So I don't think there is an imminent Accurascale one, I bet it's the class 20 next on their radar.

Edit: of course there could be a new Bachmann 40 about to drop and the image for Key is just a livery EP.  The description for this loco is Plux22 DCC - the Green Adania due in July said 21 pin - so there is some form of upgrade in this Key model.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I am afraid that photo shows the age of the tooling. Giant nose seam, a traditional bogie (unlike the Kernow Bullied) leading to a big gap between body and bogie, basic bogie detail, poor glazing etc. 

Roy

Be careful what you wish for..

especially if the weathered version looks like the brown one, with sky blue marks and bright pink wheels..

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/kr-models-palbrick-frm-set-of-3-br-palbrick-b-wagons-modified-frame-body

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2023 at 12:41, Philip Jackson said:

Bachmann Class 40 40145 BR large logo blue, DCC ready

Hi all. I'm not sure if this was posted already (I couldn't find it) but there's a new model coming of 40145. DCC ready or DCC sound fitted 

Untitleddesign_53_1000x1000[1].png

the photos suggest an upgraded board with built in speakers.

I remember it in large logo first time around…

89881AB2-7709-48AA-8739-27D8E9339456.jpeg.74c2ac14a3e1ab22c2186287efdbd057.jpeg

note the ETH cable on the front, scottie dog and 40/4 number.

9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

This is an interesting one, lots of people expecting an Accurascale class 40 and to be honest I half expect one at some point, it's and EE machine, it hauled coal trains and lots of variations.

But we have the KR Model still at EOI and Key Publishing are now doing 40145 with Bachmann.

Like BRM I would expect that Key have their ears attuned to whatever whisperings come from manufacturers, so if there was an Accurascale model about to launched then I would expect they'd partner up with them over an older Bachmann model version.  That wouldn't be a preference matter, it would be simple economics, if Accurascale do a class 40 it will be the model where modellers would be expecting specials to come from and not from an older tooling.

So I don't think there is an imminent Accurascale one, I bet it's the class 20 next on their radar.

Edit: of course there could be a new Bachmann 40 about to drop and the image for Key is just a livery EP.  The description for this loco is Plux22 DCC - the Green Adania due in July said 21 pin - so there is some form of upgrade in this Key model.

So I don't think there is an imminent Accurascale one, I bet it's the class 20 next on their radar.

Bachmann have recently retooled the Class 20 and I doubt very much that this could be improved on.

It's a fine model In all respects!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, woodenhead said:

That was my first thought. But if it was totally new tooling would Bachmann allow them to announce before they did? And if new tooling would there have been a deluxe option announced?

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Be careful what you wish for..

especially if the weathered version looks like the brown one, with sky blue marks and bright pink wheels..

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/kr-models-palbrick-frm-set-of-3-br-palbrick-b-wagons-modified-frame-body

Aah, but I did say to modern standards, which on current form, is not what we will get. 

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2023 at 22:56, Craig1989 said:

Is it me or does there look a big gap between boggie and body 

cheers Craig 

I removed 0.8mm from the ride height on my Bachmann 40s as they reminded me of a monster truck when you viewed them at eye level.

When I heard about this release I was intrigued, but I’d end up needing to partially respray it due to Shawplanning the windscreens and sorting out that nose end seam which looks very prominent on this one. 

What I would give for an updated 40 from Bachmann or Accurascale. Will wait and see what happens with the KR project with an open mind.

• 3 months later...

I'd forgotten about this one, until I was accosted by the missus when I got home from work last night. A bit modern for my modelling tastes, but by far my favourite to bash when she was on the mainline in this form.

Yes, its a nose job on the previous 40s, so it has the usual gap between the bogies and body and the livery does show up the nose seam something fierce. Even so, the rose tints are out, its a cracking model.

Class40145.jpeg.eaa1ed8deb6fc06f67e27dc5c485bdba.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’m quite tempted to get one of those and do it up. 145 looked great in Large Logo livery, and the Bachmann 40 responds well to fettling. I have 3 on the workbench at the moment, being lowered, having the missing chassis detail added and Shawplan glazing fitted. 

image.png.879ed923cf3715838f1c2cd6c3e8b0c5.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

...being lowered...

This is one of the best features of Bachmannn's construction scheme IMO. Out of the box will run on set track with scale size wheels, avoiding the nasty compromises with all the knock on distortions, of fitting well underscale wheels or altering the bodywork shape. 

Simple modification of the gear tower top (which is reversible) enables the body to sit at scale height if layout minimum radius permits. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 29/04/2023 at 09:22, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Accurascale 

• Like 1