eBay Item not dispatched

mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

Last Wednesday I won an item and paid immediately. I got a mail from eBay saying I'd won and a mail from PayPal saying I'd paid. The estimated delivery was 3rd -5th June. We're now the 8th and it's showing as not dispatched. However the " normal" sequence of mails from eBay didn't seem right from what I normally get. I know they're always changing things, but it seemed odd.

I sent a mail via eBay to the vendor on Tuesday politely asking for an update when convenient and so far no reply. The vendor has over 1250 transactions with 100% feedback, so it seems strange I've had no comm's or delivery.

Any thoughts?

Rob

14 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Last Wednesday I won an item and paid immediately. I got a mail from eBay saying I'd won and a mail from PayPal saying I'd paid. The estimated delivery was 3rd -5th June. We're now the 8th and it's showing as not dispatched. However the " normal" sequence of mails from eBay didn't seem right from what I normally get. I know they're always changing things, but it seemed odd.

I sent a mail via eBay to the vendor on Tuesday politely asking for an update when convenient and so far no reply. The vendor has over 1250 transactions with 100% feedback, so it seems strange I've had no comm's or delivery.

Any thoughts?

Rob

It's possible innocuous - the vendor  may be unexpectedly in hospital or he may be away for a family illness etc or his PC might have packed up.  He may even be away on his hols and absent-mindedly forgotten he had stuff on sale.  As his history suggests that his approach is reputable, I would be inclined to give it a bit longer before complaining to ebay - but not too long, as ebay has a limit on when you can the issue with them. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d try another couple of messages, but if you haven’t heard anything back by the weekend, id open up an ‘item not received’ case on eBay.

whilst it is possible that the owner is unavailable due to something out of their control (hospital etc.) you’re still out of pocket. In the event of absent mindedness/holidays etc. then I don’t think that that is much of a reason personally. They are happy enough to have you pay up

Edited by Edge
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the quick replies. I'd considered unforseen problems at the vendors, but the email sequence from eBay threw me a bit. So perhaps I was being over anxious.

I'll wait until the weekend and if nothing, open a case.

Rob

52 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

I'd considered unforseen problems at the vendors, but the email sequence from eBay threw me a bit.

Ebay sends automatic messages - telling you to pay, telling you when(/if) if the vendor notifies the system that he's despatched it etc.

Sometimes though, they just mail it and the system doesn't know.  Some vendors only look at ebay or their messages once a week or so - after all, they're not necessarily doing it as a business.  You can check on the listing if they're private or business sellers.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you know the courier being used by any chance?  If it is Evri then it will almost certainly be a long time coming if at all as they have a reputation for losing, misdelivering and stealing parcels in their system, that is assuming that they even bother to collect the parcel from the drop off point in the first place as I found out the other day when a supposedly dispatched parcel coming to me was discovered still in the drop off point at the shop two weeks after it was supposed to have been collected.

• RMweb Premium

No it's Royal Mail 1ST class signed for, however checking this morning the original listing has changed and the delivery dates are now 12th to 14th June, and I can't find the original original listing!! The seller had another item for sale which was for those dates, which is now no longer there. So maybe a slip of the fingers. But still no reply to my message to him. I'm not worried about the time taken to deliver, I would have bought the item even if these dates were on the original listing. It's probably just a mistake at his end. We'll see by the 14th.

• RMweb Premium

Now I have another change of due date to 14th to 16th June and still not dispatched. See screengrabs.

Original listing

BYAx4ORIGINALLISTING.png.4cb8c03e4d247702f17b8d15d056058e.png

1st Change of Due dateBYAx42NDCHANGEOFDUEDATE.png.7951233921b52084386e3b2c01bae32e.png

2nd change of due date

BYAx43RDCHANGEOFDUEDATE.png.541643e7423d3a8cb603c28fe30f7dd9.png

Hi

Had a similar case last month where emails were ignored and no update on the due date

Finally received it 9/6 after paying 15/5...

Turns out he'd been feeling unwell, but a quick message would have sufficed 

Just check if the item has been dispatched too, as this would indicate it's in the system

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I sold a book on 30th May and the customer has requested a refund. But there are delays in the postal network and I did say that due to the on going industrial actions there could be a delay to the item.

I also said that the item has to be returned to me before I give any refunds. I have been caught out before when the an item has lost it's way in the postal system.

Terry.

42 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I sold a book on 30th May and the customer has requested a refund. But there are delays in the postal network and I did say that due to the on going industrial actions there could be a delay to the item.

I also said that the item has to be returned to me before I give any refunds. I have been caught out before when the an item has lost it's way in the postal system.

Terry.

Regrettably, you may end up losing out on that one. Until delivery has been made, the seller is deemed responsible for the item, and eBay tends to hand out refunds themselves if things haven’t arrived, regardless of if you’ve had things sent back or not

Edited by Edge
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Regrettably, you may end up losing out on that one. Until delivery has been made, the seller is deemed responsible for the item, and eBay tends to hand out refunds themselves if things haven’t arrived, regardless of if you’ve had things sent back or not

Yes I agree. EBay always seems to side with the Buyer unless you can prove it was delivered. 

On 08/06/2023 at 08:34, mezzoman253 said:

Any thoughts?

Rob

I have no experience of this seller.     But as a general rule  Don't leave it too  late before opening a complaint.   I tried to buy a cheap Cornet (Brass Band Instrument) through eBay for a learner we were teaching.  I had the whole, I'm not well, can't get to the post office, I've been in hospital rhetoric to stall me opening a complaint and then when I did it was out of time so I lost £99 plus postage.  That's 15 coaches or 7.5 locos worth in my money.  Not pleased.    eBay does side with the Buyer but only if you complain reasonably promptly, I have lost stuff which I am pretty sure arrived ok as they said it was defective.  I sent the wrong stuff and the bloke never got back to me...    I sent a parcel to Porthmadog because eBay changed the buyers details back to his previous address for no particular reason,  but I have only lost out 5 times  in 1250 transactions, on railway stuff and 2 in 5 on Brass Instrument stuff.  Maybe that says something positive about modellers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that tomorrow as I've now had another change of due date, see pic'. I'm fairly sure this is some kind of personal problem/family problem, as the seller had many transactions all 100% feedback. But you never know.

I've only had one bad experience before on eBay, and I left it too late then, so will act now.

BYAx44THCHANGEOFDUEDATE.png.6664d330d69ebbf6e569bfde82d05456.png

• RMweb Gold

If the seller can find the time to change the estimated delivery date ( I didn't know one could  do that), then he can find the time to to message you.

My advice is move to the 'item not received" process immediately. It will result  in you either getting the item or getting a refund.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just completed the "Item not received" request.  Thanks for the general advice from everyone.

The dates have changed again today and no dispatch mail as yet. I'm curious as to how he can keep changing the date, but doesn't respond to email too. Hopefully all will be revealed and resolved.

I'll update as and when. Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 08/06/2023 at 19:09, John M Upton said:

Do you know the courier being used by any chance?  If it is Evri then it will almost certainly be a long time coming if at all as they have a reputation for losing, misdelivering and stealing parcels in their system, that is assuming that they even bother to collect the parcel from the drop off point in the first place as I found out the other day when a supposedly dispatched parcel coming to me was discovered still in the drop off point at the shop two weeks after it was supposed to have been collected.

I know we can only speak from experience by I've had far more problems with Royal Mail than I've ever had with Hermes/Evri.  They've been fine for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If the seller can find the time to change the estimated delivery date ( I didn't know one could  do that), then he can find the time to to message you.

My advice is move to the 'item not received" process immediately. It will result  in you either getting the item or getting a refund.

It's not the seller that changes the dates, it's an automatic algorithm based on when (if) the seller marks as despatched.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

How long do people recommend giving them before starting to complain?

And what's the best way of complaining "politely"?

Waiting for a book and it's getting on for two weeks now without a sausage even though it says despatched via 24 hour courier. A company rather than from a private seller, so not Trainshed Terry!

Never had a problem before in over 1000 purchases.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, admiles said:

I know we can only speak from experience by I've had far more problems with Royal Mail than I've ever had with Hermes/Evri.  They've been fine for me.

It's been the exect opposite here, our postie is brilliant. But Evri/Hermes very poor. It all depends on who comes to the door where you are.

Rob

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

It's been the exect opposite here, our postie is brilliant. But Evri/Hermes very poor. It all depends on who comes to the door where you are.

Rob

Same here. We live in a small village where houses have names and not numbers which seems to be beyond Evri's capability. Had 3 parcels over the last 12 months "successfully delivered" according to the email, showing a picture of a back door I don't recognize.  No problem with Royal Mail doing anything like that. And no issues with DPD, Amazon, DHL etc.

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

I dont think the seller changes the date.

If youre looking at a live advert dosent it show the estrimate based on if you purchased there and then?

The original listing had an estimated date of 3-5th June, it's now showing 14-17th and not dispatched. Perhaps because previous sellers have always dispatched before the estimated date, I've not seen those dates change. This was therefore new to me.

Rob

I usually pop an eBay message to the vendor within seven days of a due date (although Tatbay automatically generate dates, so if the seller adds in the listing they can only post on certain days, say for work, then I work from that) and give them a couple of days to respond, then go to "item not delivered".  To be honest it is very rare I've had to do that, I'm just at the vendor message stage on an overdue non-railway item today and it's probably the first I've done since the great Evri loss last Summer of some LMS coaches which had survived a UPS trans Atlantic flight which then got lost by the clowns at Evri.  Only for them to turn up two months after I got a refund.

Probably the most bizarre Tatbay incident happened last week when I bid on and won a Bachmann 108 with duff motor bogie but good condition bodies and trailer chassis, which was what I wanted.  Listed as OO, I was surprised to see it arrive in a large Jiffy bag and when opened, turned out to be N gauge.  To be fair, the vendor has issued a free return label, and thanks to our brilliant local posties has got it back and initiated a refund.  However, I would love to know what was going through the vendors mind when he listed it as OO.

Possibly the remnants of some recreational hallucinogenics from a past life...

• Like 2