Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to trigger a ‘serious’ enthusiast…

• RMweb Premium

Can you get a robot to assemble these junksaw puzzles? Mrs Dava has acquired several of the blasted things!

Dava

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

When you see the jigsaw puzzles they go for in the USA, I think ours, conveying a deluded. Image of previous conflict, are actually preferable.

IMG_1845.jpeg

Not exactly hard is it, only about 280 pieces.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, big jim said:

He’s the gift that keeps on giving…..

1A9FB2B6-C9AC-4F29-AE3D-2E454BE7AB5A.jpeg.3194c593b54edfb16bfffd114948d9bb.jpeg

and yes, he appears to be a real person too

https://www.advocate-art.com/victor-mclindon

A quote from him…..

“When I joined Advocate, I suddenly started working on a much better class of project.” 

I’d love to see his lower class stuff 

He seems to have transplanted Felixstowe Town station there as well.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felixstowe_railway_station

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Falcon seem to be cornering the market in junksaws.

I am afraid that as a true connoisseur of the Junksaw I need to present Trefl to the court of public opinion:

https://www.trefl.com/koty-w-nowym-jorku-10595

https://www.trefl.com/zabawne-psie-portrety-ii-27119

I will concede Falcon seem to have the edge on UK transport scenes  however…..

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I am afraid that as a true connoisseur of the Junksaw I need to present Trefl to the court of public opinion:

https://www.trefl.com/koty-w-nowym-jorku-10595

https://www.trefl.com/zabawne-psie-portrety-ii-27119

I will concede Falcon seem to have the edge on UK transport scenes  however…..

At least the Trefl ones seem to be intended as 'fun' images.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

So like the Wikipedia photos are the “paintings” that I think we know where he sources the images too. Look at the fall of the shadows of the chimneys on that roof.

what are you implying, they’re completely different!

A6CBDA86-0196-406F-A9FE-36C1631AA872.jpeg.d72def690706d0311cc7d2c4608d6d62.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jigsaws made for people that don't "do" jigsaws. We get them in my charity shop all the time. Usually just after Christmas and often still in the wrapper.

Notice there is hardly any sky or areas which are similar. Almost every piece is identifiable in seconds. No real skill involved. A normal person could do one in under an hour whereas a proper jigsaw should take quite a few hours as they are a challenge.

Do jigsaws given to charity shops have all their pieces?

I once visited a patient detained in a mental hospital. 

The bored inmates were allowed to stay in their own rooms or to mingle with other patients, whilst the staff mostly stayed in their own room with windows overlooking the common area which had a table on which was a very large jig saw map of the London Underground.  The lines and station names had all been completed, as were the straight edges.  However there still about as many pieces to be fitted.  If you weren't round the bend when you were sectioned, you would be by the time you had tried to finish it, as the remaining pieces were 100% white!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

22 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Do jigsaws given to charity shops have all their pieces?

I once visited a patient detained in a mental hospital. 

The bored inmates were allowed to stay in their own rooms or to mingle with other patients, whilst the staff mostly stayed in their own room with windows overlooking the common area which had a table on which was a very large jig saw map of the London Underground.  The lines and station names had all been completed, as were the straight edges.  However there still about as many pieces to be fitted.  If you weren't round the bend when you were sectioned, you would be by the time you had tried to finish it, as the remaining pieces were 100% white!

They do if they are still in the wrapper!

But we sell loads of used ones and never had any complaints. Those "puzzle" ones seem popular, Wasgij or whatever they are called. The puzzle has changed from the box picture and you've got to work it out.

https://wasgij.com/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I know a guy of very advanced age, who had a stroke c5 years ago, and one of his rehabilitation tasks was to do jigsaw puzzles, which became a habit that he now spends an hour on each morning after walking his dog. Anyway, he eats through puzzles, and demolished that “nearly all white” London Underground map, which someone bought him for Christmas, in no time. Puzzles seem to be good for the little grey cells.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think most of these are made up using stock images and then copied and pasted in Photoshop (or Illustrator) to produce a "pleasing" image. To be honest, the one featuring the D&RGW K27 on the viaduct wouldn't look so bad without the rather obvious Uk based B1? and train.... plus the AHB level crossing, or the obviously South African or Indian outline coaches, and what's happened to that hopper behind the K27? And isn't that a rather modern European style high-speed line looking tunnel in the background? The more you look, the worse it gets....

I wonder if we could have a bingo-style quiz on these? 😁

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

I think most of these are made up using stock images and then copied and pasted in Photoshop (or Illustrator) to produce a "pleasing" image. To be honest, the one featuring the D&RGW K27 on the viaduct wouldn't look so bad without the rather obvious Uk based B1? and train.... plus the AHB level crossing, or the obviously South African or Indian outline coaches, and what's happened to that hopper behind the K27? And isn't that a rather modern European style high-speed line looking tunnel in the background? The more you look, the worse it gets....

It's a strange one that.

I can see elements of LNER B1, Black Five and even a GW County (especially the front end).

Maybe the artist was looking at photos of The Jacobite, looked online for a model and found a Dapol County (which has always had odd features) and combined them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe the artist was looking at photos of The Jacobite......

Ah, maybe it's supposed to be a K1 then.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I know a guy of very advanced age, who had a stroke c5 years ago, and one of his rehabilitation tasks was to do jigsaw puzzles, which became a habit that he now spends an hour on each morning after walking his dog. Anyway, he eats through puzzles, and demolished that “nearly all white” London Underground map, which someone bought him for Christmas, in no time. Puzzles seem to be good for the little grey cells.

Perhaps the ultimate one is this:

8BED9467-B11E-4C3C-8092-A496E8B2E628.jpeg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Geep7 said:

You left the bit about the creator dropping a dose of acid before getting to work on the computer. These puzzles come worrying close to some of the weird dreams I have when I've eaten too much cheese.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 02/08/2023 at 21:34, MrTea said:

Our mate Victor certainly seems to have a penchant for Gresley Pacifics in Crimson Lake doesn’t he?

@AY Mod those Falcon jigsaws you’ve found are an abomination! I won’t be able to unsee them. 

I reckon the crimson Gresley is Victor's version of Cuneo's mouse.......without the fun of having to look very hard to spot it 🤭!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

That looks like it's a doddle as all the pieces look the same!

There’s at least a few differences if you look at the stack of pieces (mwahahaha!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In our local newsagent's window. Not much railway, but the scale and perspective are all to pot, without getting into the the rivet counting, lamps or livery critique. Are Hollyhocks and cherry blossom out at the same time?

Daily Express jigsaw.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Funny 9

19 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

In our local newsagent's window. Not much railway, but the scale and perspective are all to pot, without getting into the the rivet counting, lamps or livery critique. Are Hollyhocks and cherry blossom out at the same time?

Daily Express jigsaw.jpg

They look more like foxgloves to me!  Surely the real seasonal anomaly is the presence of rose hips in the left foreground.

Charlie 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Daily Express jigsaw.jpg

1 minute ago, Lochgorm said:

They look more like foxgloves to me!  Surely the real seasonal anomaly is the presence of rose hips in the left foreground.

Charlie 

It's the poor, warped sense of perspective in the image that jars here, but then again that's the Daily Express for you!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5