Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to trigger a ‘serious’ enthusiast…

5 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

In our local newsagent's window. Not much railway, but the scale and perspective are all to pot, without getting into the the rivet counting, lamps or livery critique. Are Hollyhocks and cherry blossom out at the same time?

Daily Express jigsaw.jpg

Apart from it running wrong line at speed, it reminds me of a photo of a Princess class loco emerging from the tunnel at Edge Hill, Liverpool...

Its a pity that that isn't a bus on the bridge!

• Funny 3

4 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How to trigger another kind of "Serious Enthusiast" .. boastful broad gauge claims?

"Cheltenham Flyer - World's Fastest Train"

I'm told it also appears on jigsaw puzzles.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/gloucestershire-echo/20210826/281887301397644

Caerphilly Castle 4073

At least the perspective and livery are correct, and the claim was probably more or less true for the period indicated by the headlamp colour...

And its a decent loco too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2023 at 23:30, Hroth said:

I once got a birthday card illustrating a Castle loco passing Sydney Gardens in Bath.  Jolly realistic, apart from the red livery and the LMS on the tender...

Sounds like someone imaginging what might have been if decisions had been different.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/08/2023 at 21:34, MrTea said:

Our mate Victor certainly seems to have a penchant for Gresley Pacifics in Crimson Lake doesn’t he?

@AY Mod those Falcon jigsaws you’ve found are an abomination! I won’t be able to unsee them. 

Red Green Colour Blind?

• Like 1

I was in our gift shop of the railway I volunteer at this morning and spotted this

https://gibsonsgames.co.uk/products/off-to-the-coast

When I showed it to the shop manager her reaction was that she wouldn't have stocked it if she had looked at the details. Two gauges in the platform. Very narrow platform with the passenger sitting on the bench having his feet at the platform edge and the steam loco running on rails at platform level.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of their others are fun, how about Crossing Glenfinnan Viaduct | 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle for Adults | Gibsons – GIBSONS (gibsonsgames.co.uk)  featuring what appears to be a Brighton tank loco in Southern green, numbered 618 (0-4-2 Gladstone in fact).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

I was in our gift shop of the railway I volunteer at this morning and spotted this

https://gibsonsgames.co.uk/products/off-to-the-coast

When I showed it to the shop manager her reaction was that she wouldn't have stocked it if she had looked at the details. Two gauges in the platform. Very narrow platform with the passenger sitting on the bench having his feet at the platform edge and the steam loco running on rails at platform level.

Nah. I would keep stocking them as the general public would probably buy it. Cheap present for gran/grandad!

The clue is in the word "gift", you don't buy quality as a gift, you want tat. It's the thought that counts. Think of the stuff they bring back from Spain or Italy such as stuffed donkeys or porcelain models of the Leaning Tower Of Pisa.

Look at the stuff the NRM sells. In amongst those limited edition models and quality books there is some right junk. But people buy it.

Guess what they stock....  😐

https://shop.sciencemuseum.org.uk/products/off-to-the-coast-jigsaw-500-piece

Jason

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nah. I would keep stocking them as the general public would probably buy it. Cheap present for gran/grandad!

The clue is in the word "gift", you don't buy quality as a gift, you want tat. It's the thought that counts. Think of the stuff they bring back from Spain or Italy such as stuffed donkeys or porcelain models of the Leaning Tower Of Pisa.

Look at the stuff the NRM sells. In amongst those limited edition models and quality books there is some right junk. But people buy it.

Guess what they stock....  😐

https://shop.sciencemuseum.org.uk/products/off-to-the-coast-jigsaw-500-piece

Jason

I see that there are 52 Flying Scotsman items, of which only one is out of stock!

• Like 1

Jigsaw puzzles?

What about the "Flying Scotsman" Steiff bear thats got a full page ad in one of this months model railway magazines*?

From what I could see, it was to no modelling scale whatsoever!

* Name omitted to protect the guilty.  Oh ok, I just can't remember it at present...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Do they have that clock with the bendy Flying Scotsman that goes round the base? 🙄🤣🤣

You can do the search for them, it's B r a d f o r d  E x c h a n g e.

The last time I looked, Google came up with suggestions for them for 3 MONTHS!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

That AI ate cheese before bedtime.

Its so disturbingly weird that it does almost qualify as surrealist art.

It's only one melted clock away from being a Salvador Dali masterpiece!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Who needs Jigsaw painters when you've got AI anyway:

8-BVMk9TAEo3d0e5l.png.c0870caa40b683b965a3e86cc797eb89.png

"flying scotsman in red passsing over the ouse valley viaduct while three spitfires fly overhead"

What kind of boiler pressure does that have, to be able to generate vertical thrust...?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

50 minutes ago, MattR said:

Or Magritte!

magritte3991.jpg

At least that was a rough impression of a Black 5 (allegedly, though the parallel boiler puts me in mind of a Royal Scot), unlike Galloping Gertie

8-BVMk9TAEo3d0e5l.png.c0870caa40b683b965

which has strange wheels and motion, a wide firebox and no cab or tender to speak of...

@Ramblin Rich I think its just momentum and wishful thinking, though it looks as if its not going to work...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Three Spitfires? I can only see two, & on closer inspection they might be X-Wings....

8-BVMk9TAEo3d0e5l.png.c0870caa40b683b965a3e86cc797eb89.png.6efca6b05a14b55d34e6ada37fa38180.png

Yes, I'd noticed that it can't count, and presumably doesn't know what a spitfire is, but of all the issues with it's creation, I thought that was fairly low down the list!

The quote underneath is the 'prompt' I gave the AI to generate the picture BTW, not a caption...

• Informative/Useful 1