Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EFE Rail - Autumn 2023 announcements inc LSWR 4-coach sets, LSWR vent van and N gauge J94

AY Mod

• Moderators

Marking the third anniversary of the company’s newest model railway brand, EFE Rail, the Autumn 2023 video presentation includes a special feature on the brand in which three new tooling projects are revealed. In OO scale, 4-coach packs of the London & South Western Railway (LSWR) Cross Country Coaches join the already-available 3-coach packs, with new tooling for the fourth vehicle to allow the earlier liveries of LSWR Salmon & Brown and SR Maunsell Green livery to be applied to these intricate models. The LSWR theme continues as the second new model from EFE Rail this Autumn is the LSWR covered vans, starting with six models which showcase the versatility of the tooling suite which allows accurate models of the Diagram 1406, 1408 and 1410 vans to be produced. The Newton Chambers Car Carriers, which first broke cover at DEMU Showcase in June, also feature along with a new version of the Class 143 DMU in GWR Green livery.

The final EFE Rail model for Autumn 2023 sees the brand launch its first N scale steam locomotive and the ubiquitous War Department Austerity Saddle Tank is the subject of choice. Built between 1943 and 1964, almost 500 locomotives were constructed and following World War Two many found new work with the LNER, as Class J94s, and in industrial use allowing the type to carry many colourful and often unique liveries. With a coreless motor, 6 Pin DCC Decoder (micro decoder recommended) and NEM coupling pockets, the technical specification of these models matches their good looks. Six models form the initial release.

N SCALE STEAM LOCOMOTIVES

E85501.jpg

E85501 WD Austerity (J94) Saddle Tank 68075 BR Black (Late Crest) £124.95

E85502.jpg

E85502 WD Austerity (J94) Saddle Tank 68043 BR Black (Early Emblem) £124.95

E85503.jpg

E85503 WD Austerity Saddle Tank No. 12 National Coal Board Kent Lined Blue £124.95

E85504.jpg

E85504 WD Austerity Saddle Tank 'Amazon' National Coal Board Lined Green £124.95

E85508.jpg

E85508 WD Austerity Saddle Tank 85 M.S.C. (Manchester Ship Canal) Lined Grey £124.95

E85509 WD Austerity Saddle Tank No. 15 W.P.R (Wemyss Private Railway) Brown £124.95

E85509.jpg

OO SCALE MULTIPLE UNITS

E83021.jpg

E83021 Class 143 2-Car DMU 143603 GWR Green (FirstGroup) £249.95

OO SCALE COACHES

E86011.jpg

E86011 LSWR Cross Country 4-Coach Pack LSWR Salmon & Brown £279.95

E86012.jpg

E86012 LSWR Cross Country 4-Coach Pack SR Maunsell Green £279.95

OO SCALE WAGONS

E87051.jpg

E87051 LSWR 10T Ventilated Van LSWR Brown £32.95

E87052.jpg

E87052 S&DJR 10 Ton Covered Van S&DJR Grey £32.95

E87053.jpg

E87053 LSWR 10T Ventilated Van SR Brown (Early) £32.95

E87054.jpg

E87054 LSWR 10T Ventilated Van SR Brown (Late) £32.95

E87055.jpg

E87055 LSWR 10T Ventilated Van BR Grey £32.95

E87056.jpg

E87056 LSWR 10T Ventilated Van SR Brown (Early) £32.95

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is not going to be an easy year for me... GWR Iron Mink, 4 Plank, Toad, Loriot Y, SR 8 Plank, SECR 6w Brake Van and now LSWR Vans!!

Wondered how long it'd be until we'd see a OO version of the Vans after Kernow's O gauge stunners. Happy to see we won't have to wait long now. Right... time to sell my Cambrian kits.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Where has the J94 tooling been sourced from?

Nice though, very nice.

It's completely new tooling as are the LSWR Covered vans and Cross country sets.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Wondered how long it'd be until we'd see a OO version of the Vans after Kernow's O gauge stunners. Happy to see we won't have to wait long now. Right... time to sell my Cambrian kits.

But this is the wide-planked version whereas the Cambrian kit represents the narrow-planked version! So don't deprive yourself of the pleasure of building those. Although I suppose EFE having already produced two bodies might produce a third in due course. Perhaps the wood underframe version is a longer shot?

I wonder what the expert view is on the black solebars of the S&DJR version? The photo of this vehicle in Bixley et al., Southern Wagons Vol. 1 (Plate 54, p. 34) doesn't help much, as the vehicle is sporting rather worn paintwork and the solebar is in deep shadow; there's perhaps a hint that some of the body ironwork is black but that might just be the effect of different weathering of wood and iron components. 

Some side-on views so one could contemplate the delights of the LSWR's sometimes unusual brake gear would be nice.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

But this is the wide-planked version whereas the Cambrian kit represents the narrow-planked version! So don't deprive yourself of the pleasure of building those. Although I suppose EFE having already produced two bodies might produce a third in due course. Perhaps the wood underframe version is a longer shot?

I wonder what the expert view is on the black solebars of the S&DJR version? The photo of this vehicle in Bixley et al., Southern Wagons Vol. 1 (Plate 54, p. 34) doesn't help much, as the vehicle is sporting rather worn paintwork and the solebar is in deep shadow; there's perhaps a hint that some of the body ironwork is black but that might just be the effect of different weathering of wood and iron components. 

As discussed in the announcement The tooling suite covers a wide range of variations including the end plank widths for potential future releases. 

We have reference images that show the S&DJR vans with and without black painted iron works, the solebar colour has proved inconclusive, so black was a considered choice following discussions with a number of parties.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham_Muz said:

We have reference images that show the S&DJR vans with and without black painted iron works, the solebar colour has proved inconclusive, so black was a considered choice following discussions with a number of parties.

That seems a reasonable conclusion; the only photo I've knowingly seen is the one I mentioned. If one looks at iron-framed PO wagons of the period, those that have the body ironwork painted black have the underframe ironwork also black. On the other hand, the body ironwork hasn't been picked out in black, per Highbridge's usual style. But then again, these wagons were built and painted at Eastleigh so no doubt they did what seemed best to themselves there; S&DJR road vans built at Derby were turned out without black ironwork, i.e. in normal Midland painting style. 

After all, anyone who disagrees with EFE's interpretation has the liberty of the paint-pot.

• Agree 3

The J94 in N is an inspired choice and is bound to be popular as a place can be found for it on practically any post-nationalisation layout. I have been hoping for a long time that a manufacturer would pick up this model following the withdrawal of the very long in the tooth old Farish model and the unsurprising "no-show" of the touted DJM one. It is a model with so many potential variations both in detail and livery that it will provide EFE with an almost limitless pool of potential future releases, and the price-point with the usually allowed 15% discount pitches it at a very realistic (for most people in this day and age) £106 ish.

I will certainly be ordering a couple as soon as they are listed by my chosen retailer, in my case the BR one with the hopper bunker and an NCB green one will do very nicely.

Well done to all involved!

Roy

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

great news on the j94!

I wonder if it has any designs bought from djm though??

anyway I'll buy one and see what it's like, and if it's good buy another!

a factory fitted stay alive would be a good idea for n gauge small locos.

tim

• RMweb Gold

Superb to see the J94 making a come back in N Gauge. I'm sure they will be extremely popular given the long lifespan of the real things. 

Tom.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

great news on the j94!

tim

Hi Tim,

I don't know the origins of the EFE J94, other than it's a new tooling for EFE, but I don't believe DJM ever actually owned any of it's designs or toolings?

Simon

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

No.

Already covered - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/180666-efe-rail-autumn-2023-announcements-inc-lswr-4-coach-sets-lswr-vent-van-and-n-gauge-j94/?do=findComment&comment=5241829

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

great news on the j94!

anyway I'll buy one and see what it's like, and if it's good buy another!

No it's completely new design and tooling.

• Like 2

Luckily I was able to pickup my birdcages individually for around £40-£50 each (two new from Hereford, one second-hand from Hatton's). I wonder if eventually these will appear individually or if they'll always be the 4-coach box set.

40 minutes ago, MattR said:

Agreed! Insane price tag though. Makes the SECR birdcages look cheap. Maybe one day ...

The LSWR sets are actually cheaper than the Birdcages.

Birdcages are (RRP £89.95 each for the most recent ones) Vs the LSWR coaches work out at RRP £69.98 each for the 4 coach pack

• Agree 4

Regarding the saddle tank. I'm sure this will inspire many an industrial micro layout over the next year or so. 

Others have sensibly suggested a stay alive, and no doubt EFE / Bachmann will have considered this too.

I'm wondering if the saddle will have allowed for weight to be added and increase adhesion. 

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The photo of this vehicle in Bixley et al., Southern Wagons Vol. 1 (Plate 54, p. 34) doesn't help much, as the vehicle is sporting rather worn paintwork and the solebar is in deep shadow; there's perhaps a hint that some of the body ironwork is black but that might just be the effect of different weathering of wood and iron components. 

Some side-on views so one could contemplate the delights of the LSWR's sometimes unusual brake gear would be nice.

Does the photograph you refer to have a date?  I'm just wondering how long the S&DJR van would have lasted in that livery.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Does the photograph you refer to have a date?  I'm just wondering how long the S&DJR van would have lasted in that livery.

They were built for the S&DJR in 1901 and absorbed back in to LSWR stock in 1914

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Birdcages are (RRP £89.95 each for the most recent ones) Vs the LSWR coaches work out at RRP £69.98 each for the 4 coach pack

Well, I went back and had a look and apparently all of mine were second-hand from Hatton's (£40, £42 and £51) so I guess my original statement was wrong. As an aside, I wonder if the EFE gatestock will appear in LSWR livery?