The next Accurascale steam loco in OO ???

50 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The LMS is the only area Hornby can consider safe, its last threat was the Stanier Mogul 2-6-0 announced by Bachmann back 10 years ago now.

ok weve got an approximation of Big Bertha on the horizon.

But if it werent for Hornby the LMS side of the hobby would be fading away.

Hornby has done the Fowler 2-6-4T (twice) and the Stanier variant. Bachmann has done the Fairburn and also the BR Standard derived from the LMS locos. I’d rather like the three-cylinder version but it doesn’t fare well in polls. There is also the version with 6' drivers built by the LMS for the NCC and you never know with Accurascale when it comes to this sort of thing. Many years ago, SK was prepared to think about a Fowler with cab doors but it never materialised. All these were very fine machines. It’s little wonder that Fowler’s reputation isn’t high when his oustanding success was a suburban tank loco.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 60027Merlin said:

As the J36 sold really well for Hornby the Glen and Scott are long overdue. Two loco classes for the tooling costs of one and a fraction. Pre-Grouping, Grouping, B. R. plus the Glen preserved with both operating over a wide area unlike the D40 Gordon Highlander. 

Plenty sales potential plus just as important additional repeat sales and of course all with wonderful names.

D3462487GlenArklet(7).JPG.9f164ed2d5c4b96406f0e1cdb1196ee6.JPG

D3062418ThePirate(15).JPG.243c11c0d66f7bb2c193c3bd9215d4f6.JPG

Did I see a version of the J36s discounted recently? However, I think you have a point. Pre-Grouping express passenger livery would be an extra selling point compared to a loco in goods black.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Accurascale just need to (and probably already have despite all the ramblings on here) liaise with Brian Mc D and the Annual Poll leaders, to select another decent seller.

As for doing a Bulleid Pacific? Seriously?  Are you having a laugh when there are so many other Loco's that just aren't available, or way way too old a product and really do need an upgrade?

BRWR County is a really, really good bet. So is a SR U/U1 along with a couple of others such as one of their large Tanks.

Phil

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, that's a thought.

I suppose you could extend the argument to include all Class 37s, all Class 25s etc. - they all look the same to me. In fact, why not just do a generic diesel (ie. a 'box on wheels') - most steam age modellers can't tell the difference anyway...! 😛

Careful what you wish for, weve already got two lots of generic carriages, and the Fell is a fairly generic version.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Accurascale just need to (and probably already have despite all the ramblings on here) liaise with Brian Mc D and the Annual Poll leaders, to select another decent seller.

Hello Phil

The aim of The Poll is to enable modellers and collectors to let the makers know which models they would realistically buy if made at some point in the future.

The Poll only attracts a small number of overall potential voters compared to how many actually buy models. All we can hope - as we have no actual evidence - is that The Poll ratings concur with what makers are hearing on social media and in person at shows etc. We won't ask them and they won't tell us as that is 'commercially sensitive' information to them.

Since publication of the 2022 Results, we have seen announced:

4 - Top 50

4 - High Polling

9 - Middle Polling (five of which are above the half way mark)

1 - Low Polling

So, bearing in mind that The Poll could list 30,000+ items,  it seems to be in the right area.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

However one way of establishing potential of de-risking un-made prototypes maybe worth trawling ebay to see what comes up as the most popular DJH, Millholme kits etc… there was at least 2 reasons after-all they were popular.. 1 being not rtr, the other can only be down to demand.

2 decades ago, its was often a kit built model we would see in a rtr manufacturers cabinet as the first sample of what they were planning to release next.

The kits I see most often are; LNWR 0-6-0 tender engine, lyr Dreadnought and tanks, MR Flatiron, Cardean, SR Q .. not necessarily all my cup of tea, but they were somebodies given how many there were.

If you're going that way then the NGG 16 Beyer Garratts of the Welsh Highland Railway look good. One unbuilt kit recently went for £591! And an assembled kit that didn't run and needed both bogies rebuilding went for £621!! Even acknowledging that the price of a Garratt would be high as it has double running gear, valve gear etc, I do believe that demand is there. I'd certainly buy one even at the £400 mark, and if they were more in the range £250-300 I'd buy at least 2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, that's a thought.

I suppose you could extend the argument to include all Class 37s, all Class 25s etc. - they all look the same to me. In fact, why not just do a generic diesel (ie. a 'box on wheels') - most steam age modellers can't tell the difference anyway...! 😛

Definitely box on wheels. I only know how to id diseasels by looking a TOPS numbers!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 13/08/2023 at 09:32, adb968008 said:

The LMS is the only area Hornby can consider safe, its last threat was the Stanier Mogul 2-6-0 announced by Bachmann back 10 years ago now.

ok weve got an approximation of Big Bertha on the horizon.

But if it werent for Hornby the LMS side of the hobby would be fading away.

LMS fade away? I somehow doubt that very much as other manufacturers would certainly pick up the void left by Hornby.

What was stopping other suppliers from producing an all new Black 5? - Probably the fact that H would rush one out in double quick time as has happened with other models.

For example, a newly tooled Stanier 8F would absolutely fly off the shelves!

Paul Isles of Accurascale for one,  has already stated that it is their intention to cover locomotives and rolling stock from all regions.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

As for doing a Bulleid Pacific? Seriously?  Are you having a laugh when there are so many other Loco's that just aren't available, or way way too old a product and really do need an upgrade?

BRWR County is a really, really good bet. So is a SR U/U1 along with a couple of others such as one of their large Tanks.

Phil

Ok, well they did the 37,55,50,31 and they are not bad models, older tooling yes just like Hornby light Pacific’s etc. this has not stopped cavalax doing the 56 and 60, both good models.

so your point really does not stand up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

For example, a newly tooled Stanier 8F would absolutely fly off the shelves!

Where’s your evidence for this claim?  I model the LMR and would not purchase one, being quite content with the two upgraded models I already have. 

Edited by Downer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Downer said:

Where’s your evidence for this claim?  I model the LMR and would not purchase one, being quite content with the two upgraded models I already have. 

TBH I too am one who thinks a retooled 8F would be welcome.If Hornby are currently retooling the Black 5 they could follow on with the 8F

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Downer said:

I cannot understand the constant demand for ever more retooled versions of current excellent models.

I can only conclude that many members have huge wads of cash in their pockets that are burning holes !!

..... perhaps if more of these stupendous (for now) models were actually run, instead of being gloated over in display cases, we might be satisfied with what we've got.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

TBH I too am one who thinks a retooled 8F would be welcome.If Hornby are currently retooling the Black 5 they could follow on with the 8F

Just for interests sake - what is wrong with the current version of the 8F?

(Mine is a detailed Hornby Dublo model, with a Pittman motor, Markits wheels, and an Airfix tender - runs great and looks superb).

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

Ok, well they did the 37,55,50,31 and they are not bad models, older tooling yes just like Hornby light Pacific’s etc. this has not stopped cavalax doing the 56 and 60, both good models.

so your point really does not stand up.

I think you mean Cavalex.  Cavalax may be a different type of product altogether…

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Did I see a version of the J36s discounted recently? However, I think you have a point. Pre-Grouping express passenger livery would be an extra selling point compared to a loco in goods black.

If it was, that would have been the LNER black version as all the B.R. black and N.B.R. versions did not linger too long. In fact the local model shop during the past few years were still receiving telephone enquiries for them. The shop could not help as they had been sold out of J36s for some time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Downer said:

Evidence - how about feedback from other modellers?

You only have to look at various posts over the past few years on RMWEB and other sites to see a newly tooled Stanier 8F would be a popular choice and a  sound business proposition.

Just because you wouldn't purchase one means absolutely nothing.

I doubt whether any prospective manufacturer will lose much sleep over your personal stance!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

(Mine is a detailed Hornby Dublo model, with a Pittman motor, Markits wheels, and an Airfix tender - runs great and looks superb).

CJI.

Haven't you just answered your own question in paragraph 2 of the above posting?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.Nothing wrong but as with a number of other rtr models recently and from Bachmann as well Ithink it could be improved .For years after its initial release quite a number of iterations were produced.I recall then a number of years back on this forum there were calls for an upgraded version. As in everything it’s a matter of personal choice and purely that

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Evidence - how about feedback from other modellers?

You only have to look at various posts over the past few years on RMWEB and other sites to see a newly tooled Stanier 8F would be a popular choice and a  sound business proposition.

Just because you wouldn't purchase one means absolutely nothing.

I doubt whether any prospective manufacturer will loose much sleep over your personal stance!

Being rude never helps. Saying that you would love a new 8F is one thing, claiming - without any evidence - that everyone else does too is something else again. You seem unable to see the difference. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Downer said:

Being rude never helps. Saying that you would love a new 8F is one thing, claiming - without any evidence - that everyone else does too is something else again. You seem unable to see the difference. 

Rude, hardly?

As for you're response, I found that to be quite aggressive in tone, so I wouldn't go there if I were you.

Conversely, how do you know such a model wouldn't be a success?

The answer is, you don't!

Just because you personally wouldn't purchase a newly  tooled version, doesn't mean it won't be a popular model with others!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Rude, hardly?

As for you're response, I found that to be quite aggressive in tone, so I wouldn't go there if It were you.

Conversely, how do you know such a model wouldn't be a success?

The answer is, you don't!

Just because you personally wouldn't buy a newly  tooled version, doesn't mean it won't be a popular model with others!

I never said it wouldn’t be a success.  I have no idea whether it would be or not. And neither do you. That was my point.

25 minutes ago, Downer said:

I never said it wouldn’t be a success.  I have no idea whether it would be or not. And neither do you. That was my point.

Maybe then, you should leave commercial decisions to those  manufacturers that know the potential market for an upgrade/new model?

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Maybe you should leave commercial decisions to those  manufacturers that know the potential market for an upgrade/new model?

I hear the calls for a retooled 8F - apparently simply for the sake of having something on which to spend idle money.

What I don't hear - despite the asking - is an analysis of what improvements are required.

I am therefore drawn to the conclusion that these must be yet more electronic gadgetry - at the expense of essential adhesive weight.

Do these flickering, chuffing, tootling wonders shuffle up and down a programming track, rather than pulling realistic trains?

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1