Peco announce Large England locomotives in 009

nightstar.train

• RMweb Premium

PECO HAVE TODAY ANNOUNCED PLANS TO PRODUCE FFESTINIOG RAILWAY "LARGE ENGLAND" LOCOMOTIVES PRODUCED BY KATO!

THREE NEW "LARGE ENGLAND" MODELS TO BE RELEASED IN Q1 2024. PLUS A NEW "SMALL ENGLAND" ANNOUNCED!

RRP £170.00

Production is expected to begin in October 2023. Peco have requested our order be placed with them by Monday 18th September 2023, so please make sure you place your pre orders ASAP.

Models expected to be releasd Q1 2024.

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/ffestiniog-large-england-locomotives

Edited by nightstar.train
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

Welsh pony looks very nice, but I have two small englands already. Wonder if it will be the same chassis?

It shouldn't be. The Large Englands were 5ft in wheelbase, the Small Englands were 4ft 6in. Additionally the cabs were visibly larger on the larger locos. The artwork on the Rails blog post is clearly based off the Small England. I'm hoping that Peco/Kato are making a whole new chassis and body. I'm going to be holding off on my order until that is confirmed. I have two Small Englands and I want a Welsh Pony, but only if it's right. 

• RMweb Gold

The info in RM states 

“new model will incorporate disc instead of spoked wheels, and a larger tank moulding with the nameplate in a different position, to accurately replicate the bigger examples of the design.”

This was confirmed by someone from Peco on NGRM so it’s definitely the same chassis and cab. 
Peco made suggestions and are supporting it as main importer but it’s very much Kato making decisions. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 1

51-251C No.4 'Palmerston' in Ffestiniog Railway maroon
unnamed_5d5240ca-f501-45be-b387-457de88e

51-251D No.5 'Welsh Pony' in Purple Brown
 - Post October 2020 condition
unnamed-2_06085f2a-d5c9-47c4-9548-602615

51-251J No.6 'Little Giant' in Ffestiniog Railway lined maroon
unnamed-4_1080x.jpg?v=1692374386

51-251H No.195 'Exmoor Pony' in fictional Southern Railway lined green & black
unnamed-3_644ab1eb-1c5a-4843-bf0a-8a9079

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The info in RM states 

“new model will incorporate disc instead of spoked wheels, and a larger tank moulding with the nameplate in a different position, to accurately replicate the bigger examples of the design.”

This was confirmed by someone from Peco on NGRM so it’s definitely the same chassis and cab. 
Peco made suggestions and are supporting it as main importer but it’s very much Kato making decisions. 

So by saying accurately replicate they are stretching the facts somewhat. Expects Palmerston to sell out realtively quickly and the rest to be fetaures of sale offers or get sent back to Japan.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

So by saying accurtely replicate they are stretching the facts somewhat. Expects Palmerston to sell out realtively quickly and the rest to be fetaures of sale offers or get sent back to Japan.

Little Englanders like Lord Palermston would have wanted the big Englands sent back to Japan?

I always thought it odd that a company so ferociously Welsh would ever have bought their engines from a company called England.  On the other hand Ive always rather liked the contemptuous way the Welsh have of referring to a box of matches as England's Glory.

51 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Little Englanders like Lord Palermston would have wanted the big Englands sent back to Japan?

I always thought it odd that a company so ferociously Welsh would ever have bought their engines from a company called England.  On the other hand Ive always rather liked the contemptuous way the Welsh have of referring to a box of matches as England's Glory.

How were they so "Ferociously Welsh"?

Most of the investors would have been English. Out of the personalities James Spooner was English. Livingston Thompson was Irish as was Henry Archer.

They didn't even change the name to the Welsh version until very recently. Notice it was always the Festiniog Railway not Ffestiniog Railway.

Even the website is still Festrail!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

They didn't even change the name to the Welsh version until very recently. Notice it was always the Festiniog Railway not Ffestiniog Railway.

They still haven't changed the official name as that would take an Act of Parliament.

• Agree 2

Theres a festpedia page that includes current cab sizes https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/England_Engine_Tanks_and_Cabs77

Ignoring the bloated Prince  the others converted to 4mm scale are

Length 17mm Palmerston, 18mm Princess, 18.67mm Welsh Pony

Height 23.33mm Palmerston/Princess, 23.67mm Welsh Pony

Width 21mm Princess/Welsh Pony, 22.17mm Palmerston

Side door width 3.33mm Princess/Welsh Pony,  4mm Palmeston

Rear door width 4.67mm Palmerston, 5.17mm Princess/Welsh Pony

Front panel  7.67mm Palmerston/Welsh Pony, 8.17mm Princess

Rear panel 5.17mm Palmerston, 6.42mm Princess,7.5mm Welsh Pony

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Hiesler said:

So you expect 'Welsh Pony' and 'Little Giant' not to sell because of a 0.67mm difference in cab length?

Having looked a those figures can I opt to change my view? Thought Welsh Ponys cab was somewhat taller verging towards that now carried by Prince. The wheelabse however will be 2mm short which would have some exploding if it was a OO loco.

One of the more obvious differences between the large and Small England cabs is that the latter are near to symetrical, so the front and rear panels are about the same size.

EnglandCabs.jpg.126b13bce5cc49b0d7afb4aef77f0b7e.jpg

Left: Small England (Princess), Right Large England (Welsh Pony)

Incidentally, the old FR 'Prince' kit of the 1960s/'70s was actually 'Welsh Pony'.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having spent many an hour clambering all over "Welsh Pony" when it was plinthed at Porthmadog Harbour in the 80's/90's, it's my favourite narrow gauge loco :)  I really like the machine in the new livery, and after seeing the renders I cracked and pre-ordered one at Frizinghall Models yesterday afternoon.  The chaps on the till said they'd had a load of pre-orders of them too through the day, so that bodes well.  I can live with the slightly wrong cab to be honest :)

2 hours ago, Ben B said:

Having spent many an hour clambering all over "Welsh Pony" when it was plinthed at Porthmadog Harbour in the 80's/90's, it's my favourite narrow gauge loco :)  I really like the machine in the new livery, and after seeing the renders I cracked and pre-ordered one at Frizinghall Models yesterday afternoon.  The chaps on the till said they'd had a load of pre-orders of them too through the day, so that bodes well.  I can live with the slightly wrong cab to be honest :)

I remember when Princess was plinthed at the other end of the line!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmightycat/5700836692/

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

why are Peco saying "maroon", but the models of Prince/Princess are dark red at best. I've been waiting for Palmerston which should be a proper dark maroon, but the drawing Peco released, show it red.

How much research do they do on the actual colour of these loco's?

David Banks

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, davianne said:

Hi All,

why are Peco saying "maroon", but the models of Prince/Princess are dark red at best. I've been waiting for Palmerston which should be a proper dark maroon, but the drawing Peco released, show it red.

David Banks

Palmerston©️ Mike Hutton on Flickr

Festiniog Railway O-4-0STT Palmerston.

Palmerston ©️ Martin Pritchard on Flickr 

Palmerston on Cob 200 day

11 hours ago, davianne said:

Palmerston which should be a proper dark maroon

Not anymore! Taliesin, Palmerston and Merddin Emrys were repainted in 2015 and 2016 in a lighter shade which is accepted as more accurate to the historic livery it depicts.

Palmerson_3Nov15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...